We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Will NaOH destroy DMT? Options

Ford Prefect
#1 Posted : 2/20/2012 9:07:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Is there any info out there about long term exposure of DMT to any of the usual extraction chemicals? Acids, bases and solvents...

I broke my sep funnel mid tek and now have a huge jar of HMRB sitting in a bassified solution. I'm doing str8 base: 50g MHRB/ 50g Lye/ 1000ml H2O. I want to wait until i can afford a new funnel to finnish.

At first I thought the lye will have a good chance to dissolve the MHRB with these extra days, (maybe weeks), of soaking and free up more DMT. Now I'm wondering if the NaOH has any chance destroying the DMT.

I read an entry on er0wid called "save that mimosa mud" that recomendeds saving your filtrates and storing them in a bassified solution for a vary extended time to eventually do more nap pulls to yield more spice. Has anyone tried that?
Earth: Mostly Harmless... Dont Panic!

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

endlessness
#2 Posted : 2/20/2012 9:15:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

STB with a separatory funnel? Doesnt the plant material block the stopcock?

NaOH does not destroy DMT, dont worry.

Some extra days or even weeks will make no noticeable difference. There are people that pulled for months-old extractions and it was still yielding. What can happen is that solvent left standing will become very dark (check FAQ for the "brown naphtha" issues). But you could always clean up your product with a wash and/or a re-x and/or a re-a/b.

In theory, benzyme was saying that excess lye and long periods or heat could oxidize dmt to dmt n-oxide, which would be less soluble in naphtha (but still in limonene/xylene. Theory and reality can be different though, I dont know if this oxidation happens in any significant rate, I havent heard of any real tests regarding this. Anyways DMT N-oxide could be either re-converted back to DMT with zinc or it could be pulled with the other mentioned solvents and used, since its psychoactive.

Ford Prefect
#3 Posted : 2/20/2012 10:33:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I filter it with a powder funnel and a piece of cotton tshirt. It drains just fine. I had to learn that the hard way.

benzyme
#4 Posted : 2/23/2012 6:01:11 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

when you say destroy, do you mean decomposition? there is no loss of functional groups, so no.. dmt is not destroyed.
however, NaOH destroys lime in the battle for global base supremacy.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

Ford Prefect
#5 Posted : 2/24/2012 12:30:56 AM

DMT-Nexus member

yes I mean anything that can cause cleavage, decomposition, or any other reaction that could break up our glorious indole structure. I'm new to O chem but I am acively learning and this seems important. I've not seen any teks that use lime to basify, can u refer me to one. Will baking soda work for bassification or are the acids used to strong?

benzyme
#6 Posted : 2/24/2012 1:59:16 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

ACD labs calculations (check chemicalize or chemspider) show a slight decrease in % neutral species (free base) in solution after a pH of 13.6. this indicates the molecule incurs a net negative charge. go figure, you have a solution saturated with -OH anions.

does this constitute degradation? the product still has activity, right?
nothing is cleaved; and the indole nitrogen has a calculated pKa of 17.15.
you're not going to bust up indole with base. you need some serious ionization energies to crack that.
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

MySmelf
#7 Posted : 2/24/2012 2:58:58 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Ford Prefect wrote:
yes I mean anything that can cause cleavage, decomposition, or any other reaction that could break up our glorious indole structure. I'm new to O chem but I am acively learning and this seems important. I've not seen any teks that use lime to basify, can u refer me to one. Will baking soda work for bassification or are the acids used to strong?

The Q21Q21 tek uses lime. And NO baking soda will not work!
Its the MeICNU

I am only someone's imaginary Smelf posting from hyperspace.

Ford Prefect
#8 Posted : 2/24/2012 4:11:06 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thank you for the input, and ease of mind. That stuff is still in its aquious soultion and I was worried. Any further info would be most apprecieated here, dont be affraid to be long winded - I can take it Cool
Also thank you for the new sites Benzyme? So how do you bust up indole, I wonder?

benzyme
#9 Posted : 2/24/2012 4:20:43 AM

analytical chemist

flame or high applied voltage, the latter depending on collision energy.
these two methods are used to ionize molecules and fragment them before they enter a detector, in analytical machines (GC and LCMS, respectively).

Ford Prefect
#10 Posted : 2/24/2012 4:40:40 AM

DMT-Nexus member

So indole is fairly stable then. does seem that strange? Are the benzine/pyrole bonds the secret to the stability? It's puzzling to me that seemingly more stable structures can be so sensitive to heat and light and other chems -and this structure is basically stable. I guess bigger isnt always better.

I doubt I'll want to lose any spice to electrolisis experements any time soon... But I will burn some Twisted Evil