We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Identify your local plants!! Options

endlessness
#1 Posted : 2/16/2012 1:05:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Have you ever thought it would be nice to know what are the name of all these plants around you? Well here's your chance.

Post pictures of plants that grow around where you live. The idea of this thread is that, with the help of others in the forum that might be botanists, amateur experts or just general knowledgeable people, we might find be able to identify the flora around us, and who knows, maybe we find out that there is some psychoactive or medicinal plant just outside our doorstep (or something poisonous, or something good to make essential oils, etc).

Please add a number to each of the plant you post, by looking at the last post and using the next number, so that its easy for others to refer to the plant by the number.

Here I start.. In order that they are uploaded, to pics of each, plant 1 (some grass) and 2 (a 5m tree).
endlessness attached the following image(s):
DSC03209.JPG (531kb) downloaded 304 time(s).
DSC03211.JPG (996kb) downloaded 306 time(s).

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

SKA
#2 Posted : 2/17/2012 1:19:32 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Excellent topic!
I should pick up the camera and take pictures
of local plants and trees. Soon it'll be springtime
and most plants & trees will flower again.
I will photograph any plant that looks like it could
be a species known to contain DMT and friends.

For now, I'll have to await springtime. 2 more months from now.

Indoril_Nerevar
#3 Posted : 2/17/2012 1:53:06 AM

The third eye,humanity's only hope...

I think the first one is wheat and the second one an acorn tree.

This is a nice topic.To bad around here everything is leafless and covered in snow at this time of year Sad
The character Indoril_Nerevar is an artistic work of fiction, and thus all his claims and ideas are works of falsehood and fiction and should be treated likewise. There is no relation between Indoril_Nerevar and any real living or dead person, and any existing similarity or seeming relation is purerly coincidental.

Ez
#4 Posted : 2/18/2012 1:13:05 PM

"Love is the medicine."

Im dying to learn about the plant life here on lake atitlan.
(¯`'·.¸(♥)¸.·'´¯Pleased But suddenly you're ripped into being alive. And life is pain, and life is suffering, and life is horror, but my god you are alive and it is spectacular!

Dante
#5 Posted : 2/18/2012 5:23:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yeah, nice thread!

I too would like to know the name of the second one.
Listen to a man of experience: thou wilt learn more in the woods than in books. Trees and stones will teach thee more than thou canst acquire from the mouth of a master. St. Bernard

nen888
#6 Posted : 2/18/2012 7:24:09 PM
member for the trees

Acacia expert | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingSenior Member | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, Counselling

..depending on what the 'wheat' looks like in a few weeks, it could be a species of Polypogon (Graminaceae)
but identifying grasses makes acacias look simple..

Visty
#7 Posted : 2/29/2012 11:51:35 AM

DMT-Nexus member

If the goal is to find psychoactive plant or trees, isn't this the wrong way around in finding them? Taking more or less random pictures of flora might just be too random.
Perhaps first one should get at least a basic understanding of the flora involved and some pointers to identify them. Perhaps learn what family they belong to. Once you know the characteristics of such a family it is more easy to be less random and search and make pictures as to narrow down potential candidates for psychoactivity?

Lucky though, if you live in areas where such things grow. In .nl there isn't all that much in nature I think that is psychoactive. But I have not studied this at all.

I wouldn't mind finding some phalaris grass seeds.

endlessness
#8 Posted : 2/29/2012 1:17:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

This isnt necessarily about psychoactive plants.. As I mentioned in the first post, this is about getting to know the plants around you, some of which may be psychoactive, others medicinal, others just pretty or interesting or whatever.

My motivation for doing this is that I always, when walking around, feel like I would love to know what are the names of all the plants around me. So lets say I always encounter plant W, X, Y and Z. I have very little knowledge of botany, and except for some basics (this is a pine, this is a grass, etc).. But I thought if I posted pictures of plants W,X,Y and Z, maybe you would know Z, and nen would know Y, and another member would know X, and so on, and in this way I would start becoming familiar with the most common plants, and then next time I see a plant of the same family, maybe Ill recognize, and so on.. And maybe you also have plant X in your place and you didnt know its name, so when someone finds it out for me, you also learn from it. So in this way I hoped that, over time, we would all get to know some more about our local flora, regardless if its psychoactive or not (that would be an extra...). Am I making any sense?

Ice House
#9 Posted : 2/29/2012 4:36:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Sustainable growing

You are making good sense, I like it. I use this liitle book to help me out. There are plenty of pocket sized field guides with great information in them, like drawings, photos, and reccipes. I own several, natably "Wild Harvest, Edible Plants of the Pacific Northwest". Authored by Terry Domico ISBN 0-88839-022-X. These little field guides are written about every part of the world I imagine.
Ice House is an alter ego. The threads, postings, replys, statements, stories, and private messages made by Ice House are 100% unadulterated Bull Shit. Every aspect of the Username Ice House is pure fiction. Any likeness to SWIM or any real person is purely coincidental. The creator of Ice House does not condone or participate in any illicit activity what so ever. The makebelieve character known as Ice House is owned and operated by SWIM and should not be used without SWIM's expressed written consent.

bodhi
#10 Posted : 2/29/2012 6:02:30 PM

it's just a dream

Excellent guide for identifying wild edible plants, edible mushrooms, seaweed etc, if you live in the Pacific Northwest or Canada

Northern Bushcraft

Visty
#11 Posted : 2/29/2012 9:14:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yes you do make sense. I have the same problem Smile I have trouble identifying even an oak! I think this is a great..hmm...what is the word, something I miss in my life. I know there are forest walks with a botanist or biologist as a guide.
I have seen the books with drawings and stuff. But somehow I do not have an eye for it. I cannot conenct what I see on paper to what is in front of me in nature. I start doubting. Is this really the same leaf? It becomes one of those puzzles, the duo-pictures where in one several things miss or are altered. Some people find them quick, it takes me much longer.

I am broken and flawed Smile

I know a willow though, they are too apparent in features to miss. And birch. I love the silver birch cause they make me think of dryads for some reason. I know that willow has pain killing stuff in the leafs... I'll never be a real identifier/herbalist heh.

ntwhtyouknw
#12 Posted : 3/10/2012 10:15:50 PM

You do not have to see alike, feel alike or even think alike in order spiritually to be alike

Anyone know this one? 3 a tree.
ntwhtyouknw attached the following image(s):
IMAG0916.jpg (1,719kb) downloaded 114 time(s).
Toadfreak!

Travel like a king
Listen to the inner voice
A higher wisdom is at work for you
Conquering the stumbling blocks come easier
When the conqueror is in tune with the infinite
Every ending is a new beginning
Life is an endless unfoldment
Change your mind, and you change your relation to time
Free your mind and the rest will follow

Key Omen
#13 Posted : 3/13/2012 10:24:37 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Some Acacias in abundance A. pycnantha maybe?
Key Omen attached the following image(s):
P1000923.JPG (6,361kb) downloaded 104 time(s).
P1000924.JPG (6,770kb) downloaded 100 time(s).

Ambivalent
#14 Posted : 3/13/2012 10:33:22 AM

DMT-Nexus member

@toadfreak
the flowers look very much like black locust. its a pseudo acacia tree or.. Robinia Pseudoacacia. but this is just my guess, i can't be sure as there are not much leaves present to confirm my doubts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robinia_pseudoacacia

in europe they collect the pollen of this tree a lot...croatia for example is a country famous for the pseudo acacia honey. : )

nen888
#15 Posted : 3/13/2012 10:03:23 PM
member for the trees

Acacia expert | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingSenior Member | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, Counselling

..Enki Nemo, i think that is actually Acacia retinodes (but, yes, similar to pycnantha)