We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Converting 5-MEO-MIPT freebase to fumarate? Options

InnerDarkness
#1 Posted : 2/14/2012 2:38:29 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I know this is mostly a DMT forum, but I think you guys can help.

There is 5-MEO-MIPT freebase that is getting varying results of being mostly inactive, but some results saying it is very active, so it's a very perplexing situation.

I'm hoping to do a conversion from freebase to salt to hopefully purify and bring the activity level up dramatically.

Is anyone familiar with doing a conversion on this compound?

Thanks.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Entropymancer
#2 Posted : 2/14/2012 3:11:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumModerator | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumChemical expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumSenior Member | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorum

I'm not sure if discussions of this nature about research chems is allowed, so mods feel free to delete my post if it's venturing into unwanted territory.

Is there a particular reason you're set on fumarate? Shulgin used the compound as the hydrochloride salt, and if you consult TiHKAL he tells exactly how to convert the freebase to the hydrochloride. If you're really set on the fumarate salt, I see no reason why adapting his procedure (using fumaric acid instead of HCl) wouldn't work.

Also, be aware of the inherent dangers in ordering research chemicals. The Chinese labs don't care if their products may have harmful impurities, and vendors sometimes send the wrong chemical altogether. Be safe.

InnerDarkness
#3 Posted : 2/14/2012 3:16:22 PM
DMT-Nexus member

It should be allowed... This is not a scheduled compound, so I hope it won't be an issue - and frankly I really need the help and know there are a bunch of highly intelligent & amazing people on this forum.

I'm not set on a fumarate by any means, figured that was just the best to convert it to.

By no means am I a chemist, so reading the chemical jargon in TiHKAL is impossible for me. I was hoping someone here could help explain an easier conversion... I've done a STB DMT extraction very successfully, so I know I can do the MIPT conversion if given the proper instructions.

endlessness
#4 Posted : 2/14/2012 3:40:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Here's our new policy regarding talking about different research chemicals:

https://www.dmt-nexus.me...aspx?g=posts&t=25363

The problem is not whether its a scheduled compound or not. The issue is safety, and respectful use of substances. Regarding RCs, as entropymancer said, its important to note that RCs coming from even usually trusted suppliers can be mislabelled and be potentially very dangerous. The owner of a famous RC company died when consuming from a mislabelled batch, so there's no guarantees this wont happen to the end users.

So be sure to do allergy tests by taking very small amounts (under 1mg) first, and see if there's any bad reaction. Also please look into reagents such as Marquis and so on. Its as simple as dropping the reagent on small amount of the substance and seeing what color it turns. Here's a thread where we say the reaction colors for different substances: https://www.dmt-nexus.me...t.aspx?g=topics&f=75

Regarding turning to fumarate, You could try the FASA way, dissolving it in acetone, making FASA (fumaric acid saturated acetone) and mixing both up, letting them crystallize, filtering and letting it dry. This process seems to work for most of these alkaloids but there might be exceptions, so it would be wise to test with a small amount at first. The other option is doing the same, but weight the exact amout of fumaric acid used, and then evaporating the whole acetone/alkaloid mix, because if you know the exact amount of fumaric acid vs amount of alkaloids, you can make it without having excess fumaric acid.

InnerDarkness
#5 Posted : 2/14/2012 4:05:44 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Ok great, I read that link & totally agree. I am very aware of safety with using RCs and suppliers & vendors. Im very big on knowledge & harm reduction. What I have it does seem to be 5-MEO-MIPT, but it just doesn't seem to be very active in the current freebase form. The supplier/lab states it is 98%+ in purity. I've sent off a sample to another lab for NMR testing to double check purity & chemical structure and should have results back within a week or two. (just sent the sample out last week)

So just use any FASA tek for conversion? Would all of the numbers be the same when using it for MIPT? I.e. X amount of the compound + X amount of acetone? Or do the numbers need to be tweaked when substituting with the MIPT?

Is there a FASA tek you can suggest I read for conversion with this particular compound?

What would be the best to convert this to? Fumarate or HCL salt? From my understanding converting to a fumarate will give it the most stability and also increase yield, but would the HCL salt be much more active?

As always, thanks for the help guys, it's much appreciated.

Entropymancer
#6 Posted : 2/14/2012 4:11:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumModerator | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumChemical expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumSenior Member | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorum

InnerDarkness wrote:
By no means am I a chemist, so reading the chemical jargon in TiHKAL is impossible for me. I was hoping someone here could help explain an easier conversion...

It really doesn't get any easier than this:
Shulgin wrote:
This [5-MeO-MIPT] was isolated as the hydrochloride salt by dissolving it [the free base] in a small amount of IPA, neutralization with concentrated HCl, and dilution with Et2O.

So to recap:
1.) Dissolve the freebase in isopropyl alcohol
2.) Neutralize with HCl
3.) Dilute with diethyl ether to precipitate salt

Of course diethyl ether can be hazardous if not handled properly, so unless you have a good fume hood it might be better to just try the FASA conversion and see whether it works with 5-MeO-MIPT.

InnerDarkness
#7 Posted : 2/14/2012 4:46:59 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I actually just read the section in TiHKAL and seen that.

It does seem easy enough, I assume highest purity iso I can get, which is 93%. But what is the ratio?

And where can I find diethyl ether in town & what would it be labeled as? (I was able to easily find Naptha at Ace hardware for the STB DMT extraction, so hoping the diethyl either can be purchased just as easily.)

InnerDarkness
#8 Posted : 2/15/2012 10:24:47 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Anyone on where to get diethyl ether?

soulfood
#9 Posted : 2/16/2012 3:49:17 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: DMT, Harmaloids, Bufotenine, Mescaline, Trip advice

I'd try to precip a small amount of your product from acetone using FASA or maybe try this... ehm... lemme think.

You need anhydrous mgSO4, acetone and Hcl.

Get your acetone all nice and dry with the mgSO4, then pour just enough over your product to dissolve it completely.

Then add a small amount of Hcl to a different portion of acetone. You don't want to add too much Hcl, as you will be wanting to remove the water portion later.

Then dry out this acidic acetone with mgSO4 leaving an acidic acetone solution.

SLOWLY, add small drops of this solution to your acetone which contains your product. I stress slowly because if you add it too quick, the crystals that form will be far too tiny to handle in solution/filter etc.