We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Rebounding: A fun, proven form of exercise! Options

SpartanII
#1 Posted : 2/13/2012 1:25:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

In the past three years my father has had a severe heart attack (he survived), my mother developed cancer in her eye (in remission), and my aunt is developing a mysterious MS-like condition that has stumped her Mayo Clinic doctors. This has made me realize not only how precious and fragile life can be, but also how important it is to strive for good health. I've started researching health and nutrition and decided to make some major changes in my diet and sedentary lifestyle. I've drastically cut down on processed food, fluoridated water, animal-based protein and fat, increased my fruit and vegetable intake, and found a great form of exercise that's fun, easy, and highly effective: Rebounding!

For those that don't know, it's basically just jumping on a mini-trampoline. Although it might sound stupid, it's actually really fun and has numerous proven health benefits. Check it out:

The health benefits of rebounding are absolutely astounding. New research is constantly emerging in this field of exercise, and as we find more we will continue to post it, so keep checking back in every so often.

-Rebounding has a low level of trauma to the musculoskeletal system (Journal of Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation 1990: 10; 401-408

-The fastest way to increase blood flow and brain integration for improved vision (Dr R.M.Kaplin; O.D,M.Ed.)

-Promotes lymphatic drainage and reduces toxins in the brain (Brian H. Butler, M.A. Director of the Academy of Kinesiology, Surbiton, Surrey UK)

-Rebounding is a more effective exercise than running on a treadmill (NASA Rebound Exercise Report)

-Rebound exercise significantly improves proprioception (Cornell Hospital for Special Surgery)

-Benefits of rebounding include increased cardiorespiratory fitness levels, caloric expenditure, and possibly improved kinesthetic awareness (Colleen McGlone, B.S., Len Kravitz, Ph.D., and Jeffrey M. Janot, Ph.D.)

-The maximum impact force on the rebounder was only 1/6th that of the wooden board track (A. W. Daniels, Ph.D., Adjunct Professor, Material Science and Engineering and Orthopedic Surgery of the University of Utah)

-Rebounding has been shown to help children with learning disabilities (4.R. Glen Green. “Hyperactivity and the learning disabled child.” J. Onhomolecular Psychiatry 9:93-104. Second Quarter 1980.)

http://www.rebounderreviews.com/health-benefits/

30 specific health benefits:
http://www.urbanreboundi...pecific_anti_stress.html

Research sources:
http://www.urbanrebounding.com/research.html

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

SpartanII
#2 Posted : 2/13/2012 1:32:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

http://www.wellbeingjour...art-disease&catid=16

From hereon this article will focus on a form of exercise that has been found remarkably efficient in chelating toxic elements from the body. Journal readers will recognize rebounding and its immune system stimulating and cellular-level toxic debris removing effects from the Fall, 2001 issue of the Journal ("Bouncing for Health".4

CREATE YOUR OWN CHELATION THERAPY BY REBOUNDING

Dr. Morton Walker, D.P.M., states that exercising on a rebounder (mini-trampoline) causes "a natural process of chelation therapy to proceed throughout the body." There are many sources indicating the overall health-giving effects of rebounding exercise. (See Well Being Journal, Fall, 2001, for more information.)4 Réné and Maggie Gaudette and the Wonders write: "The protocol [of taking antioxidant supplements and doing rebounding exercise]...eliminates a good portion of cellulite, which is an accumulation of toxins within the fat structure of the body. [Also] that exercise -- bouncing up and down on a mini-trampoline -- is a good way of loosening up all of that fat structure so that the toxins can be eliminated.... You shake it up and down. Rebounding clears the lymph glands, it provides the aerobic exercise for the heart, it provides oxygenation to the body, it is not destructive to the joints of the body, it loosens the toxins within the subdermal portion of the skin in the body, it allows the body to perspire, it even allows your hair to grow a little longer because when you go up and you come down it pulls the hair out of your scalp. And it tones the muscles. There are many [more] benefits...."3

Dr. Walker writes: "Exercising on a minitrampoline for its beneficial rebounding result enables you to create chelation therapy within your body and brain." How does chelation take place? First of all, each cell in the body is "exercised" when bouncing up and down. The force of gravity first pulls, then releases each cell, thus stimulating cells to move their fluids and flush out toxic material as well as absorb nutrients. Additionally, the valves in the lymphatic system, the powerful force behind your immune system, open and close and pump lymphatic fluid during bouncing, even with very gentle up and down bouncing movements. The lymph fluid then removes toxins from the body as a whole, and it even produces more white blood cells. Those who have had major illnesses, such as cancer, attribute healing to the use of rebounding once per hour for two to three minutes. White blood cells increase dramatically during a short session of two to three minutes of rebounding.

Albert Carter, who first discovered the rebounding effect in the late 1970s, called it "the most efficient, effective form of exercise yet devised by man."5 Dr. Walker states that "your whole cardiovascular system becomes stronger even without increasing its heart rate,"5 thus the elderly or ill need not begin vigorously exercising in order to receive chelation or other health benefits from rebounding. One of the many ways rebounding helps chelate toxins from the body and specifically from the cardiovascular system is through the stimulation of production of lactic acid by the muscles.

Lactic acid is a natural by-product of muscular activity. Shirley Vanderbilt writes: "There are elevated levels of lactic acid in muscle tissues after exercise...."6 She cites research by exercise physiologist Dr. George Brooks from the 1980s: "Lactic acid is a key substance for providing energy, disposing dietary carbohydrate, producing blood glucose and liver glycogen.... Lactic acid goes through a chemical cycle ultimately becoming lactate, which can then be transported quickly from the muscle into the blood. Lactate levels in the blood rise during moderate exercise. At the completion of exercise, lactate levels return to normal within an hour. Light exercise is the most effective approach to speed this process. The muscles copiously produce lactic acid during light exercise."

Dr. Walker notes that lactic acid is a weak organic acid that chelates toxic components. He states, "Because natural lactic acid acts in the same way as does the medical intravenous infusion of the chelating amino acid EDTA, the resulting responses from rebound movements produce numerous therapeutic effects...:

1. They dissolve atherosclerotic plaque attached to the intima (the innermost layer of arteries);

2. They pull [toxins] out of the media layer of blood vessel walls; and

3. They trap the foreign proteins that occupy space between cell membranes and then remove these unwanted proteins for deposition as waste, carrying away also the toxic type of proteins for processing through in the kidneys as urine, through the liver as nitrogenous waste, and then through the bowel as feces."

Walker cites a study done in Sweden almost twenty-five years ago, where exercise therapists evaluated a group of hospitalized patients whose chief difficulties were palpitations of the heart, breathlessness from cardiovascular inadequacy, peripheral vascular insufficiency indicated by cold hands and feet, dizziness, headaches and deep sighing. He states that "each patient averaged 5.4 symptoms."

Collectively these patients had been suffering from 150 different clinically recorded ailments, but by the end of the program of rebounding the clinicians found only 21 persisting symptoms; 68 symptoms had diminished and 44 ailments were entirely gone. "The average number of symptoms per patient had dropped from 5.4 to 1.1," writes Walker. The clinicians at the Karolinska Institute who conducted this investigation concluded that "rebound exercise protects and strengthens the cardiovascular and peripheral vascular systems," and offsets any potential harm caused by catecholamines, or nerve transmitting chemicals released under stress, that increase blood pressure.

Dr. Walker concludes: "For a sick person who is able to rebound even in the midst of illness, rebounding serves as a physiological antidote to [catecholamines] that act as internal stressors. Besides cellular detoxification and nourishment, rebounding produces a kind of cellular sedative that gives any damaged or sick cells the opportunity to heal themselves."5

James R. White, Ph.D., an exercise physiologist at the University of California, San Diego, whose research Walker cites, asserts that a rebound exercise program has the following cardiovascular health benefits:

1. Increased strength and size of the left ventricle of the heart;

2. Increased diameter of the heart;

3. Increased diameter of the arteries of the heart;

4. Increased number of latent arteries used for distributing blood to the heart and the rest of the body.

5. Slowdown of the heart rate; and

6. Decreased amount of oxygen needed by the heart.

Rebounding even causes peripheral vascular improvement of occlusive disease by encouraging blood clots in the limbs to dissolve.

Since rebounding also stimulates the immune system through lymphatic fluid drainage and more production of white blood cells -- due to the force of gravity pull and then release during the act of jumping -- the effects are beneficial not only for the rest of the body, but especially for the blood circulatory system. Walker cites the work of Hitendra H. Shah, M.D. [Dr. Shah strongly recommends rebound exercise. Rebounding, he emphasizes, must be part of any chelation/detoxification program for reaping the optimal advantages of intravenous EDTA chelation therapy], who notes: "Several problems occur when the lymph drainage slows and fluids begin to accumulate around the cells.... Cells are forced to survive in their own waste and toxic byproducts. Such a situation can eventually lead to the degeneration and destruction of organs. For example, poor lymphatic drainage of the extremities can lead to tissue damage and then to poor blood circulation with swelling and pain.... [S]imilar problems can happen in any other organs of the body."

CONCLUSION

Given the amount of toxins in our water, air and food -- and thus entering our bodies -- and given the viruses and bacteria we encounter, it is not difficult to understand why doctors and other health professionals not only rebound every day themselves but recommend it to their patients. Rebounding stimulates the immune system like no other form of exercise due to its effects on the lymphatic system; it stimulates cellular cleansing, exercises the musculo-skeletal system, and helps restore bone density -- and it is simple, gentle on the joints of the body and an enjoyable exercise anyone can do. Dr. Walker recommends the Soft Bounce™ Needak® brand of rebounders in his book, but any good quality rebounder will give you results and be gentle on the body at the same time. The Needak® absorbs 85% of the impact when you jump. Imagine the potentials, if rebounding alone can help you achieve these kinds of results, if you combine this exercise with drinking plenty of pure mountain spring or artesian water and a wholesome organic food diet (thus helping clean up the "outer" environment too), along with a balanced spiritual, mental, emotional and physical life. It seems it may very well be easier to be healthy than ill.

This article is from the Well Being Journal. For annotations, see January/February 2002, Volume 11, #1.

3rdI
#3 Posted : 2/13/2012 1:40:02 PM

veni, vidi, spici

Quote:
Dr. Walker recommends the Soft Bounce™ Needak® brand of rebounders in his book

£226.00Shocked Shocked Shocked

however i do like to bounce
INHALE, SURVIVE, ADAPT

it's all in your mind, but what's your mind???

fool of the year

SpartanII
#4 Posted : 2/13/2012 1:53:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

^

SpartanII wrote:
any good quality rebounder will give you results and be gentle on the body at the same time.

Even rebounding with a jump rope would give similar results (same physics), although it's safer and more efficient if you get a mini-trampoline. I don't plan on getting a cheap one, yet I don't think I'll be spending more than $100. I do believe the benefits far outweigh the cost of a decent quality mini-trampoline.

3rdI
#5 Posted : 2/13/2012 1:59:14 PM

veni, vidi, spici

i read that bit too, its just im always a bit suspect when someone recomends a very expensive piece of equipment when a cheap £30 version is available and identical.

i dont see how £226 trampete can be netter than a £30 one.

either way i have one in my shed and i may start bouncing.

Have you started bouncing? have you noticed any benefit?
INHALE, SURVIVE, ADAPT

fool of the year

SpartanII
#6 Posted : 2/13/2012 2:04:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

3rdI wrote:
i read that bit too, its just im always a bit suspect when someone recomends a very expensive piece of equipment when a cheap £30 version is available and identical.

i dont see how £226 trampete can be netter than a £30 one.

either way i have one in my shed and i may start bouncing.

Have you started bouncing? have you noticed any benefit?

I hear ya, but in my first post in this thread I posted a different source that shows the same health benefits, and all the research I've done from multiple sources basically shows the same benefits.

I think it would be wise to go for a decent quality trampoline considering it's something that gets a lot of repeated physical stress, ya know?

No, I haven't ordered a trampoline yet, I'm still reading up on reviews.

3rdI
#7 Posted : 2/13/2012 3:06:07 PM

veni, vidi, spici

fair one, there are lots of independant reviews there so its probably legit.

i picked my trampete up from a second hand shop and it got a fair amount of abuse and held up well. I think lots of people go on a health kick which last 2 weeks then give there equipment to 2nd hand shops, its defo worth a look.

happy bouncing
INHALE, SURVIVE, ADAPT

fool of the year

SpartanII
#8 Posted : 2/14/2012 2:41:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks, I'll look into the secondhand tramps.Embarrased That doesn't sound right!Laughing

flouro
#9 Posted : 3/3/2012 5:49:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Rebounding is really good. Got my mini trampoline for about 20eur from some dude little over month ago. Have been with one dude before that dude. Now this dude have been on and off of the thing at least few times a week. In the beginning every day though. The only thing that I see with cheap rebounders is the durability of the springs. I have broken three springs already. The mat is still intact though. Luckily the manufacturer replaced the spring free of charge Very happy

First time I bounced for longer time than normal I felt really heavy when I stepped to the floor. Like the consistency of my body was more like cement and not water and stuff Very happy Dunno if it is the trampoline or what but recently my shoulders have been excessively tender. I have kind of weak neck and shoulder area and this thing seems to really whip up the neck area too.

Would like to try different types of rebounders. There is this rebounder review site http://www.rebounderreviews.com/ that claims that different types have different feel to them.

Definitely recommend to give it a go, the cheap ones are really cheap when used and can be sold on if not liking Very happy