We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
Cambodian Cubensis Grow Log Options

RebornInSmoke
#1 Posted : 2/11/2012 1:21:25 PM

Lysergic Feline

Hello, my brother in mush Zion told me a while ago i should maybe make a grow thread for my cubensis kits.
I have 2x Cambodian Cubensis rye bag grow kits. The kits each come with:
- 1x bag of Pearlite.
- 1x bag of Vermiculite.
- 1x Cubensis Spore Syringe; Cambodian strain.
- 1x bag of presterilised rye grain with injector port ready for innoculation.
- 1x bag for fruiting/grow bag & paperclips.
- box for substrate/mycelium/casing etc (to place in the growbag).

I innoculated the first rye bag around... early mid january? I'm not too sure but me and Zion started our grows around the same time.
(he is growing maz. cubensis, as well as galindoli sclerotia/truffles iirc)
At first i had placed the innoculated bag next to a radiator, on top of the radiator on a towel, and on top of a hot water bottle,
as i had no idea what 25-28*C (ideal temp) was comparable to. It's less than body temperature!
In hindsight i should maybe have looked that up.
I was told that it could be way too hot and i could have killed my spores. At this point I straightaway ordered a second Cambodian Cubensis kit.
better to waste just another 2 weeks instead of a month and a half (waiting to order again after waiting to see if the first bag was dead or not).
Luckily it didnt die and here are the first and second bags! Very happy

Bag #1 is about 4 weeks after innoculation, and Bag #2 is about 2 weeks after innoculation.
I have been keeping them in the undershelf section of this bedside table I have next to my bed and radiator. As it is at the bottom half of the radiator, it never gets too hot or too cold, and the radiator is pretty much always on.
At about 30% colonization I broke up the mycelium/rye grain and mashed and mixed it all up, then clumped it together a bit but not too tight, still a liiiiiittle bit loose.

Practically overnight the colonizing mycelium just exploded.

I came home from work the next day and BAM. practically all the outside kernels that were not white where all fluffified and white!
With bag #2 the syringe got a bit blocked during innoculation (stabbed into a grain maybe) and the pressure caused a crack and i lost all but 1-2ml of solution. Still, I injected that 1-2ml hoping for the best. as you can see it was still successful Smile
The first bag has about another week to go before its fully done, then its just a case of birthing it into the box.
I plan on using an antibacterial/disinfectant spray to spray the room im working in and to sterilise everything that will be used (ie the box) with a light mist sprayed above then allowed to settle then dry.
With birthing the "cake" the instructions basically say to add a layer of perlite, then break up and make an even layer of the mycelium, then a casing layer of vermiculite.
Let the mycelium penetrate the casing layer a bit then its time to add water after a while and then drain off 12 hours later, then it gets placed in the grow bag to fruit!

I can't wait and I'm super stoked!
I'm gonna mention to Zion about maybe making a grow thread for his truffles n cubes, as last time i checked he sent me some awesome pics of jars that just exploded with mycelial growth Pleased

Any tips and advice? This is my first time growing mushrooms, but it doesnt seem too hard. Especially with kits like this Smile.
Makes growing your own accessible to even the complete novice like myself.

Happy Shrooming Very happy
Gun it to 88...
..::those who speak do not know, those who know do not speak::..
<3

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

RebornInSmoke
#2 Posted : 3/17/2012 3:57:04 AM

Lysergic Feline

I've left this far too long to update but better late than never.

kit#1 is now substrate box #1 and kit #2 I made into sub box #2 on wednesday night.
sub box#1 started showing pins on tuesday night. tiny wee things. now they are more pronounced and so far I have counted..
at LEAST (and I do mean least) 108.
keep in mind this is only just flush #1 of kit/sub box#1. each kit should/could produce 3-4 flushes.

not bad eh? Very happy
should be a good harvest!

cant wait!!!

Gun it to 88...
<3

BananaForeskin
#3 Posted : 3/17/2012 11:42:01 AM

I Eat Plant Magic

Haha, I actually read the first part of this thread just yesterday, wondered why it hadn't been updated!

Glad to see those pins poking up, it's pretty darn exciting to see those little guys starting to grow! Make sure to share pictures when they're bigger.
¤ø¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø¸„ø¤º¨

.^.^.^.^.^.^(0)=õ

RebornInSmoke
#4 Posted : 3/17/2012 12:45:10 PM

Lysergic Feline

those pics were this morning, this is just now-

already they are growing more and more every hour.
stoked is an understatement!

edit;
(later on)
Gun it to 88...
<3

Orion
#5 Posted : 3/17/2012 7:47:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Lovely fat pins there, I think you are doing perfectly for now, just keep giving them air every day and you should have a nice yield. Then place mushrooms in mouth and proceed to ingest.
Art Van D'lay wrote:
Smoalk. It. And. See.

RebornInSmoke
#6 Posted : 3/18/2012 1:37:31 PM

Lysergic Feline

hey cheers orion Smile

it is so exciting and cool just to sit and stare at them and examine the difference in growth every hour.
i just took these pics just a few minutes ago-

HUNDREDS OF PINS!!!
Gun it to 88...
<3

aliendreamtime
#7 Posted : 3/19/2012 6:20:36 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Looking good reborn! They'll fill in nicely for sure.

RebornInSmoke
#8 Posted : 3/20/2012 1:35:23 AM

Lysergic Feline

Gun it to 88...
<3

RebornInSmoke
#9 Posted : 3/20/2012 7:39:07 PM

Lysergic Feline

left for work this morning after putting them where they could get some gentle light shaded by houseplants, came back to THIS-

simply put... wow.
Very happy

by this weekend i should have at least a few harvested at the right time hopefully.
the "right time" for me, i have decided is just after the veil breaks, but before the cap opens and goes into spore production.
i have read from multiple sources that there appears to be no (at least noticable) difference in potency at all,
between harvesting at this time, and letting the cap fully open and upturn and mature.
it would appear that when the cap opens that certain mushroom just goes into spore mode and focuses its attention energy and nutrients (from the substrate) on producing new "seeds of life" instead of making more of that trippy goodness we all love.

im hoping to get the most out of these 2 kits by doing so, my logic in this decision is one part the above reason, and another part to do with energy and nutrient and water usage.
ie that each new appearing mushroom needs all three of these in order to grow up big and strong and make you trip your face off. Smile

if anybody has anything to add, any tips or any advice, at all, its much appreciated.
as ive mentioned this is my first time growing mushrooms. it'd be nice to get a perspective from a much more seasoned grower of the fungus.

anyways thanks for reading, hope you're all enjoying the pictures!
(from now on im only gonna update when theres a good difference in size from last post)

<3
Gun it to 88...
<3

DoctorMantus
#10 Posted : 3/20/2012 7:53:49 PM

Hyperspace Architect/Doctor

Those are some beauties, nice work reborn, and with work comes reward. i am truly jealous. lol

Fungi is amazing, just seeing them grow is beautiful.
"You are an explorer, and you represent our species, and the greatest good you can do is to bring back a new idea, because our world is endangered by the absence of good ideas. Our world is in crisis because of the absence of consciousness."
— Terence McKenna

"They Say It helps when you close yours eyes cowboy"

BananaForeskin
#11 Posted : 3/20/2012 9:36:06 PM

I Eat Plant Magic

Awesome! Post pics when they're all grown up!

Tips?

When you soak the casing, right before the next flush, look into putting some coffee in with it! I haven't tried that out yet personally, I only heard about it after my last flush happened (last time I grew)... but I want to!

(do do the research, though, I only heard some whispers about it but never did the serious reading, will do next time)

.^.^.^.^.^.^(0)=õ

SnozzleBerry
#12 Posted : 3/20/2012 9:54:09 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

BananaForeskin wrote:
Tips?

When you soak the casing, right before the next flush, look into putting some coffee in with it! I haven't tried that out yet personally, I only heard about it after my last flush happened (last time I grew)... but I want to!

(do do the research, though, I only heard some whispers about it but never did the serious reading, will do next time)

Coffee grounds, while being a good additive that're high in nitrogen, are prone to contamination and, afaik, they're added to a bulk substrate mix, not as a sole additive between flushes. I suppose you could theoretically patch these kits with a bulk sub mix that had been pastuerized and contained coffee grounds, but otherwise I'd stay away until you're making your own bulk sub.

Looks nice...enjoy the fruits of your labor...and consider moving beyond kits, it's more fun and more educational, imo Pleased
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

BananaForeskin
#13 Posted : 3/21/2012 12:11:21 AM

I Eat Plant Magic

SnozzleBerry wrote:

Coffee grounds, while being a good additive that're high in nitrogen, are prone to contamination and, afaik, they're added to a bulk substrate mix, not as a sole additive between flushes. I suppose you could theoretically patch these kits with a bulk sub mix that had been pastuerized and contained coffee grounds, but otherwise I'd stay away until you're making your own bulk sub.

I was more talking about lacing the water you soak the casing with with a bit of brewed coffee! It took me a while to track down where I got the idea, which was from this thread on the shroomery:

http://www.shroomery.org...ber/2283143/fpart/1/vc/1

I haven't read through it in ages, but the basic consensus (once you root through the experimentation and rampant speculation) was that hydrating your mycelium with a bit of coffee, at some stage in the process, will give it a bit of a boost.

It does look like it might leave you more open to contamination, though, even if sterilized, as the nutrients in the coffee will easily provide a new home for any bacteria that might be drifting by, much more so than a casing layer of simply water-wet vermiculite... so maybe not the best idea for your first grow, Reborn, but I'll test it out in a month or two and tell you how it goes!

.^.^.^.^.^.^(0)=õ

SnozzleBerry
#14 Posted : 3/21/2012 1:12:40 AM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

Hmmmmm, interesting stuff. Thanks for the link, Banana!
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

RebornInSmoke
#15 Posted : 3/21/2012 12:02:21 PM

Lysergic Feline

From the sounds of it I think I'm gonna give it a miss Razz
This is going very well for now, I don't want to risk contamination. I've been using fresh unopened evian bottled water for the water requiring steps for both kits.
As well As washing my hands and arms numerous times with antibacterial soap and air drying,
I've been spraying dettol antibacterial disinfectant spray in the work area when doing steps such as birthing etc and all my work equipment such as measuring jugs, spoon etc.

As little risk as possible! Cheers for the link though.
It does sound interesting. I also read a bit about the addition of tryptophan or tryptamine (I forget which) to substrate to increase the potency.
(The mushrooms use it as a building block for making psilocin nd psilocybin iirc)
In the end i couldn't be bothered faffing about with something that I might f up.

I'm a firm believer in "if it aint broke don't fix it" !
This weekend I should have sone ready to harvest and eat! Hopefully...

Very happy
<3
Gun it to 88...
<3

DoctorMantus
#16 Posted : 3/21/2012 2:52:07 PM

Well If your spores are already colonized and growing, you should not have to worry about contamination. ^
"You are an explorer, and you represent our species, and the greatest good you can do is to bring back a new idea, because our world is endangered by the absence of good ideas. Our world is in crisis because of the absence of consciousness."
— Terence McKenna

RebornInSmoke
#17 Posted : 3/21/2012 6:59:11 PM

Lysergic Feline

i dont believe that i should be slack though. once these 2 kits are done im wanting to move onto making my own bulk sub along with a shotgun or monotub setup.

anyways here is today's update Smile

<3
Gun it to 88...
<3

DoctorMantus
#18 Posted : 3/22/2012 2:50:58 AM

Those are looking sexy. Thanks again for sharing. Smile
— Terence McKenna

RebornInSmoke
#19 Posted : 3/22/2012 10:14:21 PM

Lysergic Feline

harvested a few early as i needed to remove a big one that was growing down the side of the tub and would rot.

this is what i removed, im leaving the rest until they are ready.
the top left one is the side grower.

3.5 fresh/wet grams all in after removing vermiculite etc.
its quite nice. very mild but its definitely noticable and very mellow yet i feel very awake at the same time.
a nice energy Smile

cant wait til the rest of this flush is fully ready and i can nom a proper dose and go exploring the national park... Very happy

hope you like as much as i do Very happy
<3
Gun it to 88...
<3

Dan
#20 Posted : 3/23/2012 7:57:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

haha much better than my grow for sure but mine was done with a brf substrate and fruited in a growbag. im still happy with my yield, but youre is amazing.

great work man.
Hey! You! Get off of my cloud!

12NEXT