We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Success Options

DoctorMantus
#1 Posted : 2/10/2012 8:11:12 AM

Hyperspace Architect/Doctor

So Maybe a couple days ago i put down some seeds. I have previously had a small pack of mimosa hostilis seeds, after multiple failures i had decided to stick down my last seed. I had come to find today that it popped, only 2 days later, and i am extremely happy for that.

Now there are probly many who have grew there own, of this species, can anyone recommend any good suggestions for the kind of conditions it like, currently, vegetating under a vegetation light.

I have also put down some cacti seeds, none popped, but it has only been like 3 days, so i am giving those time.
"You are an explorer, and you represent our species, and the greatest good you can do is to bring back a new idea, because our world is endangered by the absence of good ideas. Our world is in crisis because of the absence of consciousness."
— Terence McKenna

"They Say It helps when you close yours eyes cowboy"

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Vodsel
#2 Posted : 2/10/2012 5:07:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: Filmmaking and Storytelling, Video and Audio Technology, Teaching, Gardening, Languages (Proficient Spanish, Catalan and English, and some french, italian and russian), Seafood cuisine

It's weird that they turned out so difficult to germinate. Maybe it was a bad batch. The germination rate I found is around 70%.

In any case, the seedlings will thrive fine with not too low ambient humidity, and a couple nice fluorescent lights. Cool White, or Daylight. They barely emit any heat, so you can place the seedling a few inches under the bulbs. Ideally, the first week you can provide him a mini-greenhouse so he doesn't dry out in case of low humidity.

Keep the temperature warm, I'd say 15-25ºC, make sure the soil has good airing (perlite) and drainage, don't overwater and he will grow nicely.

And regarding the cacti seeds, be patient. They are extremely slow in popping out. Cacti pups several months old are the size of a pinky fingertip Smile

DoctorMantus
#3 Posted : 2/10/2012 9:48:41 PM

Hyperspace Architect/Doctor

Thanks for the reply Vodsel, your brief amount of information is very helpful.
"You are an explorer, and you represent our species, and the greatest good you can do is to bring back a new idea, because our world is endangered by the absence of good ideas. Our world is in crisis because of the absence of consciousness."
— Terence McKenna

"They Say It helps when you close yours eyes cowboy"