We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
GM giant Monsanto driven out of EU? Options

vardlokkur
#1 Posted : 2/6/2012 4:21:31 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I came across an interesting article about notorious GM crop company Monsanto basically pulling their interests out of EU after government investigations revealed some unsound findings regarding the effects of their products on the environment. It seems to be a growing trend that farmers are refusing to use Monsanto's products. Sadly in the US they are tightly knit into our central government and are attempting to further legislation to REQUIRE the use of their products. Anyway, the article link is below, I'm interested in any thoughts pertaining to the subject, personal experiences from people in different places than the US. Hopefully we'll eventually get rid of them over here too; from a friend is in the organic food biz, he says that they wouldn't be able to stop all the organic farmers even if they pushed legislation, so that's good to hear.

Monsanto Quits (CEREAL/SEED Only stated) GM sales in EU
The only hell for a warrior is peace.

The warm fuzzy side of the cold hard truth.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Doodazzle
#2 Posted : 2/6/2012 11:59:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Well I'm in the US, but since noone else is saying anything...

You know about the gmo grass right? Scotts-Miracle Grow this time, not monsanto--it's a species of kentuky blue-grass, immune to miracle gow herbicide. Just picture it, all those beautiful beautiful green lawns, far as the eye can see. Yep, progress.

Buy anything packaged in plastic, like bottled water or ketchup lately and seen the label proclaiming "made from 60 percent vegetable plastic, 100 recyclable"? Sounds good right? That bio plastic....GMO corn.

Great for europe though.

A victory across the pond will possibly help us "get rid of them over here too" in the long run. Maybe.

"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods." Albert Einstein

I appreciate your perspective.

jamie
#3 Posted : 2/7/2012 5:14:11 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

If there is anything like true evil, Monsanto qualifies. These people need to be locked up for the crimes they commit. Luckily farmers are now allowed to finally sue monsanto, when before they could not but monsanto has for years have sued farmers for growing crop which were cross pollenated via the wind by monsanto GM strains..what kind of judge would even take something like that seriously is my question..

At least are farmers finally have some rights. You dont like monsanto? Dont buy GM and support organic farming.
Long live the unwoke.

vardlokkur
#4 Posted : 2/10/2012 8:35:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm just glad to hear more promising stories regarding Monsanto being told where to shove it. The environmental hazards in our planet do seem to be piling up, especially with the Gulf of Mexico spill and the Corexit dumping they do. BUT, at least our worlds attitudes are changing; people aren't as scare to speak up anymore. Part if it is the internet I believe, because once so many people have read something (especially economic and political dissent), the source cannot be silenced.

While things may be rough, people are waking up more. I mean, I used to be heavy into every conspiracy.. but if Monsanto is having this much trouble, it is pretty laugh-worthy to think that something like Codex Alimentarius will ever be implemented en masse.
The only hell for a warrior is peace.

The warm fuzzy side of the cold hard truth.

RebornInSmoke
#5 Posted : 10/13/2012 2:39:48 AM

Lysergic Feline

roundup kills everything.
Gun it to 88...
..::those who speak do not know, those who know do not speak::..
<3

polytrip
#6 Posted : 10/13/2012 1:16:35 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Location: A speck of dust in endless space, like everyone else.
Monsanto has bought a couple of european company´s. I think it´s just a change of strategy.

The problem is not that crops are being modified perse. The problem is that crops are being modified to be able to resist roundup, so they can sell more of this poison.

On itself, i think that modification of crops could be usefull in relation to the expected number of 9 billion the earths population will reach somewhere around 2050. India for instance, is expected to have a population of around 1.6 billion people at that time. How to feed that many people?

The so-called arab spring was ignited for a big part, by food prices. The egyption population was just 60 million in the 90´s. Now it´s 85 million. You can´t expect such figures not to cause any problem in any society. Food production needs to become more effective and it needs to generate higher yields. And consumption of meat needs to drop. And then there´s the depletion of the oceans Crying or very sad

Doodazzle
#7 Posted : 10/13/2012 1:31:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I love kids and stuff. But maybe, we could have less of them? It's an unpopular thing to say. uncomfortable to say, when you are standing next to a friend who is all proud of their bouncing baby brat. Life is awesome and kids are all cute....but how about free condoms and cheap abortions and while we're at it, let's lift the taboo from saying "you should have less babies".

The other day a friend of mine was all talking about how they are buying food imported from europe, to avoid gmo. I think they'll pay more money, create a larger carbon foot-print, and possibly still get some gmo in there that they don't know about and yeah...

The good news is growing your own vegies and raising chickens, are both gaining popularity. People are not 100 percent retarded, at least not always.
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods." Albert Einstein

endlessness
#8 Posted : 10/13/2012 2:25:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Its not just the roundup and pesticides that are the problem in gm food, it's also the fact that they may for example polinize other non-gm (even organic etc) crops, and then screwing the genetics, and then lawyers of monsanto and similar companies will go sue the farmers for having their genetics. Maybe it also means the plants are sterile and you need to buy new seeds every time. Often farmers, specially small ones, wont have money or possibilities to fight monsanto in the courts and then might make a deal and give their lands for monsanto and work for them for a small salary.

Then nobody knows what effects these varied GM products will have on health in the long run.. I don't want to be experimented with, and I dont want the world's crop genetics to be risked being contaminated by something that can be harmful for me or for the environment (plus be a private property of one corporation)

They are big bastards, I hope karma is coming their way fast!

deadlight
#9 Posted : 10/13/2012 2:54:10 PM
DMT-Nexus member

GM is terrifying I'm glad the EU (particularly UK) have generally been firm on it, but i have fears that as food prices soar (33% up in the last 5 years) that this crap will be snuck in under the guise of "more affordable food for the masses"

edit

By the way the source website is a hateful right wing racist trashy English newspaper for any 'Mericans who dont know of it

Jörmungandr
#10 Posted : 10/13/2012 3:34:51 PM

Everything I say is purely hypothetical

stalepixel wrote:
GM is terrifying I'm glad the EU (particularly UK) have generally been firm on it, but i have fears that as food prices soar (33% up in the last 5 years) that this crap will be snuck in under the guise of "more affordable food for the masses"

edit

By the way the source website is a hateful right wing racist trashy English newspaper for any 'Mericans who dont know of it

I'm not so sure the EU have been particularly firm on this issue - in fact quite the opposite.

The French ban on Monsanto GM maize has been overturned by the European Food Safety Authority.

http://www.ibtimes.com/m...mon-810-yieldgard-699490

“My brain is only a receiver. In the Universe there is a core from which we obtain knowledge, strength, inspiration. I have not penetrated into the secrets of this core, but I know it exists.”

— Nikola Tesla

polytrip
#11 Posted : 10/13/2012 7:31:42 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Location: A speck of dust in endless space, like everyone else.
endlessness wrote:
Its not just the roundup and pesticides that are the problem in gm food, it's also the fact that they may for example polinize other non-gm (even organic etc) crops, and then screwing the genetics, and then lawyers of monsanto and similar companies will go sue the farmers for having their genetics. Maybe it also means the plants are sterile and you need to buy new seeds every time. Often farmers, specially small ones, wont have money or possibilities to fight monsanto in the courts and then might make a deal and give their lands for monsanto and work for them for a small salary.

Then nobody knows what effects these varied GM products will have on health in the long run.. I don't want to be experimented with, and I dont want the world's crop genetics to be risked being contaminated by something that can be harmful for me or for the environment (plus be a private property of one corporation)

They are big bastards, I hope karma is coming their way fast!

Yes, some of the other aspects of it are quite scary as well. Little more than a decade ago there was a huge scandal in england. An english university had accepted money from monsanto to investigate GM corn and to deliver the 'scientific evidence' that it was safe. The research done however, indicated that this corn was not safe at all. This lead to a conflict between the scientists who did the reesearch and the board of the university. The professor who had lead this research project eventually got sacked because he refused to withold this information from the public. A slander campain was being launched against him and his co-workers. They where accused of fraud, their personal integrity was being questioned in the media, etc.

Luckily though, you can´t fool all the people all the time. The truth got out. The sacked professor got rehabilitated.

I must say though, that i know little about the subject and i don´t know for instance, if theoretically, GM could be done safely. There may be forms of genetic engineering that could help the global food crisis maybe.

endlessness
#12 Posted : 10/13/2012 8:42:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Overpopulation is an issue, and so is bad distribution of food, waste and general unsustainable agriculture, transport and consumption practices. It's not like people are dying of hunger these days because there's lack of food in the world in general at least yet.

I think those are way more important priorities to deal with, than investing all the high-figure budgets (and risks) in genetic modified food and companies like monsanto to help against food crisis.

Wax
#13 Posted : 10/13/2012 9:55:43 PM

LUVR

Man, I wish I could share some of the posts on here with the general public, family and friends without it being under the DMT Nexus banner. There is so much good information and intelligent discussion of things it is a shame I can't share it due to the stigma of being a "druggie."

I'm glad Monsanto is finally getting some of the criticism it deserves and hopefully these studies and the opposition they are receiving will be enough to push this scum out of existence for good. It is a shame that America is still so oblivious but hopefully with the passing of things such as Prop. 37 in California, there will be an awakening.
'Little spider weaves a wispy web, stumblin' through the woods it catches to my head. She crawls behind my ear and whispers secrets. Dragonfly whiz by and sings now teach it.'

Doodazzle
#14 Posted : 10/13/2012 10:26:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Genetic modification may one day be a useful thing for us as a species...but these things need to be tested, studied, for decades before being let loose into the eco-system. So far in this thread we have barely scratched the surface of what can and does go wrong in the GMO world. Has anyone even mentioned the bees?

I'm getting on my soap-box once more: people, grow more of your own food and have less babies. Come on already.