We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV1234NEXT
How do you guys feel about cell phone radiation? Options

a1pha
#21 Posted : 1/6/2012 2:29:48 AM

Moderator | Skills: Master hacker!

Bedazzle wrote:
Proove them harmless.

You can't prove a negative. As for me, I'll take all the radio waves possible and not worry about it.

Very happy
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." -A.Huxley

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

benzyme
#22 Posted : 1/6/2012 3:04:40 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

me too, they're not going to produce free radicals. Wink
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

Hyperspace Fool
#23 Posted : 1/6/2012 3:44:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Well, the World Health Organization says that cell phones might cause cancer. http://www.cnn.com/2011/...H/05/31/who.cell.phones/

I talked on one for an hour once and the entire side of my head was warm. Deadly? No. But harmless...

Even if cell phones were completely benign for your health, they still suck ass. Sorry people, but coltan is what makes cell phones work, and it is pretty much only found in the Congo. That region is a vast hellhole of warlords and death because of the money that is spent to keep the flow of coltan coming. If anything, cell phones are worse than blood diamonds.

Besides, this "reachable everywhere" culture is shyte. People can't even just lay on a beach without their electronic leashes beeping at them incessantly. Not to mention during movies and theater performances... grrrrrr.

Solution: Don't worry. Just throw your cell phone in a recycling bin and forget about it.

We lived just fine before them... way better actually.

[note: Never worry. Cortisol & adrenaline are killers.]
"Curiouser and curiouser..." ~ Alice

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it." ~ Buddha

benzyme
#24 Posted : 1/6/2012 3:53:27 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

I'd worry more about getting cancer from wearing a seatbelt
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

Hyperspace Fool
#25 Posted : 1/6/2012 4:08:29 AM

DMT-Nexus member

benzyme wrote:
I'd worry more about getting cancer from wearing a seatbelt

Than what?

Killing people in the Congo? Contributing to genocide and slave labor in that entire region?

Annoying people with your loud conversations on public transportation?

Obviously disregarding the WHO warning and taking your own health into your hands is your right... and who knows? Cell phones might even make you smarter.

I just don't like the always reachable mentality. People need to have times where they are assumed to be unreachable. People who backpack into the woods and then whip out their iPhones to look for a connection so they can update their facebook or tweet about their hike... make me sad.

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it." ~ Buddha

benzyme
#26 Posted : 1/6/2012 4:18:00 AM

analytical chemist

then do something about it

RayOfLight
#27 Posted : 1/6/2012 4:23:33 AM

DMT-Nexus member

About a month ago my phone was cut off for lack of payment. I really don't miss it. What am i paying for ? the ability of anyone that has my number to summon me at their will and a brain tumor? no thanks. The only way I can see myself missing it is if I'm broken down on the side of the road or something but I don't think that justifies a monthly bill and possible negative health effects. HF makes a solid point about the congo as well, that just sealed the deal for me.
‎"I maintain that Truth is a pathless land, and you cannot approach it by any path whatsoever, by any religion, by any sect." J. Krishnamurti ~ The Dissolution of the Order of the Star. 1929

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erjAzA753sg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AEU5pBxY6E

proto-pax
#28 Posted : 1/6/2012 4:26:19 AM

bird-brain

there are prepaid phones Razz
blooooooOOOOOooP fzzzzzzhm KAPOW!
This is shit-brained, this kind of thinking.
Grow a plant or something and meditate on that

benzyme
#29 Posted : 1/6/2012 4:28:03 AM

analytical chemist

RayOfLight wrote:
About a month ago my phone was cut off for lack of payment. I really don't miss it. What am i paying for ? the ability of anyone that has my number to summon me at their will and a brain tumor? no thanks. The only way I can see myself missing it is if I'm broken down on the side of the road or something but I don't think that justifies a monthly bill and possible negative health effects

I agree completely, except you can't show evidence for causality of health issues due to cell
phone use, aside from carpal tunnel from texting, or other repetitive motion/static position related injuries. I'll reconsider my stance on this if anyone can post multiple studies showing otherwise. none of this, "I think it can give you brain cancer" nonsense.

I don't use a cellphone much, and frankly, yea..a lot of people are too fixated on theirs.
their obliviousness of their surroundings while driving and talking/texting is much more of an eminent threat to themselves and others than RF radiation, which some of you apparently still don't comprehend.

Ice House
#30 Posted : 1/6/2012 5:35:30 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Sustainable growing

Bedazzle wrote:
Quote:
PROOF!

Proove them harmless. You can't do it either.

My proof is the fact that I have been using one for 13 years and I am perfectly healthy.

Prove I'm not.

Ice House is an alter ego. The threads, postings, replys, statements, stories, and private messages made by Ice House are 100% unadulterated Bull Shit. Every aspect of the Username Ice House is pure fiction. Any likeness to SWIM or any real person is purely coincidental. The creator of Ice House does not condone or participate in any illicit activity what so ever. The makebelieve character known as Ice House is owned and operated by SWIM and should not be used without SWIM's expressed written consent.

jamie
#31 Posted : 1/6/2012 5:52:28 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

Ice House
#32 Posted : 1/6/2012 5:59:54 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Sustainable growing

jamie wrote:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/02/080214144349.htm

The artcle in the link says that a study suggests cell phones are hazardous. The study didnt prove they are hazardous.

I can suggest anything I want, it doesnt mean its true.
Ice House is an alter ego. The threads, postings, replys, statements, stories, and private messages made by Ice House are 100% unadulterated Bull Shit. Every aspect of the Username Ice House is pure fiction. Any likeness to SWIM or any real person is purely coincidental. The creator of Ice House does not condone or participate in any illicit activity what so ever. The makebelieve character known as Ice House is owned and operated by SWIM and should not be used without SWIM's expressed written consent.

obliguhl
#33 Posted : 1/6/2012 7:27:12 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Please stop making assumptions just because you've "heard" something. I've also heard that santa claus exists....

This site http://ercim-news.ercim.eu/cell-phone-danger discusses a couple of the latest studies done on the topic and references them. Might be interesting to look at instead of relying on guesswork.

Hyperspace Fool
#34 Posted : 1/6/2012 8:23:53 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Probably also uses coltan.

Ice House wrote:
jamie wrote:

The artcle in the link says that a study suggests cell phones are hazardous. The study didnt prove they are hazardous.

Actually the article says "Controlled Study Reveals Link" in the actual text (not just the headline) and for a technology that has only been in really widespread use for 15 years or so, that is saying a lot. It took them longer than that to prove that DDT and asbestos cause cancer, and those things are clearly directly carcinogenic. Cell phone use is a bit more circuitous of a link than ingesting a carcinogenic substance that is not used in huge quantities (thus can be easily controlled for sample groups).

obliguhl wrote:
Please stop making assumptions just because you've "heard" something. I've also heard that santa claus exists....

This site http://ercim-news.ercim.eu/cell-phone-danger discusses a couple of the latest studies done on the topic and references them. Might be interesting to look at instead of relying on guesswork.

Ummm.... there have been 2 links to credible sources that claim this to be something we should be concerned about. I have never heard CNN or the World Health Organization claiming the veracity of Santa Claus. And if the Science Daily isn't a credible enough source for you, then I don't see why ercim-news would be.

Considering the amount of money at stake here, and the deeeeep pockets of the telecom industry... and their unbelievable clout with high ranking government officials, it is rather surprising that we have access to anything but industry sponsored studies. Of course, when a technology becomes this widespread, they don't feel so threatened by public knowledge of the health risks involved.

Look at gasoline. Known carcinogen. Poisonous to the human body in a myriad of ways. Hallucinogenic on the level of concentrated Salvia extractions. ----- Available everywhere without a driver's license to any 12 year old with a gas can.

You guys love your smartphones. We get it. Keep using them. Keep them in your front pocket next to your balls. It is your life, afterall. But to come on a thread and get your feathers ruffled because people are voicing legitimate concerns about something that has enough non-health related negative aspects to it... seems childishly defensive.

christian
#35 Posted : 1/6/2012 8:57:33 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The main concern of mobile phone use is the strength of the RF field. A low wattage mobile phone held for extended periods close to the head or body can cause heating effects, etc. Indeed when a mobile phone is used like this the RF field is very strong because of the very short distance. Remember, We are talking near microwave frequencies here folks.

-We have been told that mobile phones are safe, but i would still be cautious about overusing them especially with long call duration. I think the motto is "moderation" here. We "need" our phones these days, but we can make our conversations quick and to the point, and also save some money as well on 'pay as you go'!

-Proof, oh proof.... I think we already know there MIGHT be some serious long term health consequences, but they might only show up in out late 60's, like other diseases such as cancer do anyhow. Are we gonna wait for the proof, or are we gonna be sensible in knowing about "moderation in all things"??
"Eat your vegetables and do as you're told, or you won't be going to the funfair!"

kyrolima
#36 Posted : 1/6/2012 9:21:49 AM

DMT-Nexus member

This is a topic, like all those "industry VS contra-industry"-threads, where the industry won't publish studies against their own technology.

By the way: It has been PROVEN, that bees are being irritated by cellphone-radiation - they seem to loose orientation, and this might be a reason for the death of many bees.
bee study

Personally I still use my mobile phone - but I rather use one with a low SAR.
elusive illusion

SpartanII
#37 Posted : 1/6/2012 10:02:11 AM

DMT-Nexus member

christian wrote:
Proof, oh proof.... I think we already know there MIGHT be some serious long term health consequences, but they might only show up in out late 60's, like other diseases such as cancer do anyhow. Are we gonna wait for the proof, or are we gonna be sensible in knowing about "moderation in all things"??

^ Pretty much sums up my opinion on the matter. I would rather err on the side of caution.

Personally, I'm not going to "worry" about it, yet I am going to take precautionary measures to reduce the risk. I'm not going to just sit around and wait for cancer to overtake my brain...or my balls.Confused

SpartanII
#38 Posted : 1/6/2012 10:06:28 AM

DMT-Nexus member

kyrolima wrote:
This is a topic, like all those "industry VS contra-industry"-threads, where the industry won't publish studies against their own technology.

By the way: It has been PROVEN, that bees are being irritated by cellphone-radiation - they seem to loose orientation, and this might be a reason for the death of many bees.
bee study

Personally I still use my mobile phone - but I rather use one with a low SAR.

That's very interesting. Thanks for the info, kryolima.

Phlux-
#39 Posted : 1/6/2012 11:56:09 AM

The Root

Chemical expertSenior Member

Im the only person i know that almost flatout refuses to use a cellphone.
antrocles wrote:
...purity of intent....purity of execution....purity of experience...

...unlike the "blind leading the blind". we are more akin to a group of blind-from-birth people who have all simultaneously been given the gift of sight but have no words or mental processing capabilites to work with this new "gift".

IT IS ONLY TO THE EXTENT THAT WE ARE WILLING TO EXPOSE OURSELVES OVER AND OVER AGAIN TO ANNIHILATION THAT WE DISCOVER THAT PART OF OURSELVES THAT IS INDESTRUCTIBLE.

Quote:
‹Jorkest› the wall is impenetrable as far as i can tell

Quote:
‹xtechre› cheese is great

He who packs ur capsules - controls your destiny.

universecannon
#40 Posted : 1/6/2012 12:36:37 PM

Moderator | Skills: harmalas, melatonin, trip advice, lucid dreaming

Ice House wrote:
jamie wrote:

Studies never really conclusively "prove" anything though. But they can give strong hints and evidence. After seeing how amazingly sensitive we can be to things ( like minute dosages of molecules Pleased ) It doesn't seem unreasonable to me to be at least a bit concerned with them, especially after reading that study that found

"Those who used a cell phone heavily on the side of the head where the tumor developed were found to have an increased risk of about 50% for developing a tumor of the main salivary gland (parotid), compared to those who did not use cell phones."

<Ringworm>hehehe, it's all fun and games till someone loses an "I"

PREV1234NEXT