We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
will malic acid and tartaric acid work? Options

Fuego
#1 Posted : 12/7/2008 9:46:36 PM

Riggly Maynard Charlston Bentsworth |||

Location: my secret volcano lair, really everyone should have one its so cool
instead of fumaric acid?

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

69ron
#2 Posted : 12/7/2008 10:05:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

It would probably work, but DMT malate is a sticky goo, not a crystal like DMT fumarate.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

Infundibulum
#3 Posted : 12/7/2008 11:59:31 PM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

They would work to some extent; Tartaric acid is better that malic acid though. dmt malate is a hell of a goo, whereas tartaric acid is more solid-like.

Both dmt malate and dmt tartrate are somewhat soluble in acetone, so minor yields are expected. dmt malate is more soluble and should be avoided. SWIM's FOAF has found that dmt tartrate has a solubility of around 3.5mg / ml acetone. dmt malate can go much much higher, maybe 10mg/ml.

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

69ron
#4 Posted : 12/8/2008 12:19:08 AM

DMT-Nexus member

DMT tartrate is a solid?
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

Infundibulum
#5 Posted : 12/8/2008 12:27:24 AM

ModeratorChemical expert

It's far more more solid than malate or citrate. The latter ones are a sticky goo, they will stick to everything. The tartrate salt is more "concise", much less sticky. It feels like plasteline or blu-tak. It does not leave residue behind when handled and one can use it as a semi-tough molding material, some crazy artist could easily do sculpture with it.

But SWIMs FOAF has never actually tried to dry it totally in the oven. It may get rock hard, he definitely needs to investigate further.

69ron
#6 Posted : 12/8/2008 12:32:10 AM

DMT-Nexus member

That’s interesting. DMT tartrate should have excellent shelf life. Is it a 1:1 salt or a 2:1 salt like DMT fumarate?

Tartrates are usually known for excellent solubility. Do you know what solvents DMT tartrate is insoluble in?

Infundibulum
#7 Posted : 12/8/2008 12:48:37 AM

ModeratorChemical expert

Tartaric acid is diprotic, so theory suggests a 2:1 ration. This is indeed what SWIM's FOAF found once after weighting the dmt tartrate lump.

But he has no info about it's solubility. He just found 3.5mg/ml acetone solubility which is fairly low. He thinks that solubility in alcohols could be higher, this however needs to be tested.

He used yellow dmt for his experiments thinking that he could gather data more informative when thinking extraction-wise. His solubility observations also indicated that the tartrates of both dmt and its oxide are slightly soluble in acetone. He has no info as to their ratio, i.e. whether the oxide is more soluble or vice versa.

Edit; SWIM's FOAF does not know what type of tartaric acid he actually has. Tartaric acid comes in the flavour of few stereoisomers. He's using one he once bought for his brewing hobbies.

Fuego
#8 Posted : 12/8/2008 8:54:26 PM

and tartaric acid has a lower pka than citric acid, so it should form way faster than the fumarate using fasa, right? i figured that the extra solubility problem could be fixed with a freezer

Infundibulum
#9 Posted : 12/8/2008 10:43:38 PM

ModeratorChemical expert

If you refer to the tek once SWIM's FOAF published, i.e. extracting MHRB using citric-acid saturated acetone, most likely yes.

But someone would strongly advise against this tek at the moment. DMT citrate is somewhat insoluble in acetone, so unless one is using really large amounts there will be really massive yield losses.

Fuego
#10 Posted : 12/9/2008 2:32:54 AM

but if you use all the stuff and go back to base your yeild should be the same rite?

Infundibulum
#11 Posted : 12/9/2008 11:08:04 AM

ModeratorChemical expert

Yes, so why bother with the citric acid saturated acetone extraction in the first place? Just stay to the base and extract the standard way, aye?

Fuego
#12 Posted : 12/11/2008 1:33:09 AM

what do you all think of using tartaric acid instead of fumaric acid with a xylene stb? then afterwords i supose i could evaporate everything that dosnt precipitate

ohayoco
#13 Posted : 2/24/2009 11:42:41 AM
DMT-Nexus member

What would be the reduction in yield if using tartaric instead of fumaric acid?

In the UK tartaric acid is readily available from home brewing suppliers, whereas fumaric is impossible to get (other than one seller on Ebay, but SWIM doesn't buy stuff like that on Ebay because the purchase shows up on your account for a long time, and the quality is unguaranteed as it's not factory sealed, and it's obvious why you're buying it when it comes from a seller calling himself a shaman who also sells Rue).
Everything I write is fictional roleplay. Obviously! End tribal genocide: www.survival-international.org Quick petitions for meaningful change: www.avaaz.org/en/
End prohibition: www.leap.cc www.tdpf.org.uk And "Feeling Good" by David D.Burns MD is a very useful book.

Infundibulum
#14 Posted : 2/24/2009 12:45:43 PM

ModeratorChemical expert

The solubility of dmt tartrate in acetone is around 3.5mg/ml acetone. One can now get a rough idea of how much can be lost.

ohayoco
#15 Posted : 2/24/2009 12:50:19 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Ah right, sorry, so using a quarter of a litre loses 0.875g of yield. That's not good... is it? But then you say that's low so I'm confused.
Should UK SWIMs just evaporate all their xylene, even though it stiiinks?
... what if the DMT/mescaline/bufotenine tartrate were less soluble than tartaric acid?
Everything I write is fictional roleplay. Obviously! End tribal genocide: www.survival-international.org Quick petitions for meaningful change: www.avaaz.org/en/
End prohibition: www.leap.cc www.tdpf.org.uk And "Feeling Good" by David D.Burns MD is a very useful book.