We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Chicken Busses of Guatemala Options

Ice House
#1 Posted : 12/31/2011 7:42:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Sustainable growing

I'm sure allot of you will be wondering soon-

"Where are the solstice trip reports and pictures"

I good time my friends. Oly mon and I have a large ammount of video and still photos to sift through and a long story to write.

I have decided the best way for me to organize my material is to tell a few other interesting stories first. This will help me to get rid of some frivilous info and get to the meat of winter solstice at Tikal 2011.

Now on to the thread!

Chicken Busses of Guatemala could literally be a NatGeo/discovery reality series. When I first heard of the chicken bus and that I would probably spend allot of time riding them I had this picture in my mind of old yellow delapitated school busses that were packed to the gills with people,produce, and of course chickens! Hence the name chicken bus. After riding on one I get the impression that the name chicken came from the way the drivers agressively move these busses from city to city, it is a constant seemingly dangerous game of chicken!

The drivers of these busses are amazing, fearless, persistent, and determined. Chicken bus driver is a proud profession. Chicken bus driver is a culture, it is a world of its own. A cult, maybe? Moving people and goods across a country with terrible roads and traffic is not an easy task.

The Chicken bus! The chicken Bus driver! An almost Super Hero of sorts. The first thing I noticed and What touched me the most about the chicken busses of Guatemala was the pride that the individual drivers/crews had for their busses and their service.

I have ridden on chicken busses all over the world and NONE were of the caliber of bus and crew that even came close to the Chicken busses of Gutemala.

No joke here people! This story had to be told. Really, you gotta go there and experience it to really get it.

If I had to use on word to describe the Chicken Bus driver it would be, PROUD!

These driveres are by no means rich, they make an honest but meager wage. These owner operators could easily take thier profits and invest in many things, like retirement, vacation, or savings. In a poor, underdeveloped country like Guatemala, what do they do with their profits?

LOL!!!!!

I will let the pictures tell the rest of the story.

Enjoy!
Ice House attached the following image(s):
DSCN1119.JPG (258kb) downloaded 133 time(s).
DSCN1120.JPG (248kb) downloaded 133 time(s).
DSCN1121.JPG (262kb) downloaded 133 time(s).
DSCN1122.JPG (256kb) downloaded 133 time(s).
DSCN1123.JPG (289kb) downloaded 132 time(s).
DSCN1129.JPG (273kb) downloaded 132 time(s).
DSCN1319.JPG (487kb) downloaded 132 time(s).
DSCN1320.JPG (389kb) downloaded 130 time(s).
DSCN1322.JPG (408kb) downloaded 128 time(s).
DSCN1323.JPG (403kb) downloaded 126 time(s).
DSCN1324.JPG (436kb) downloaded 125 time(s).
DSCN1325.JPG (446kb) downloaded 122 time(s).
DSCN1326.JPG (449kb) downloaded 121 time(s).
DSCN1327.JPG (472kb) downloaded 121 time(s).
DSCN1328.JPG (421kb) downloaded 122 time(s).
DSCN1329.JPG (413kb) downloaded 124 time(s).
DSCN1330.JPG (496kb) downloaded 123 time(s).
Ice House is an alter ego. The threads, postings, replys, statements, stories, and private messages made by Ice House are 100% unadulterated Bull Shit. Every aspect of the Username Ice House is pure fiction. Any likeness to SWIM or any real person is purely coincidental. The creator of Ice House does not condone or participate in any illicit activity what so ever. The makebelieve character known as Ice House is owned and operated by SWIM and should not be used without SWIM's expressed written consent.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

christian
#2 Posted : 12/31/2011 8:17:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for those nice photos, Icehouse. Chicken Buses in Guatemala are pretty cool,and pretty similar to most of them Central American buses to be honest: Try the ones in Panema if you were impressed with Guatemala's!Wink .I don't wanna sound like a party pooper here..Laughing ...It's not hard to make people go 'wow' when they start travelling out of their 1'st world countries...That's why i love to travel. Our 1'st world Countries are so clinical and DULL, so full of Complexity and rigidity it's a wonder anything get's going!...Why do we need the latest plasma tv's and pc's-i'll tell you why, cos our Countries are as dull as duck, and now controlled to such a point that the village priest is now starting to look as cool as a Hells Angel, that's why!Laughing

--Travel folk, leave your "country duties" behind , go travel, see some of the REAL world before you die, and leave the politicians and arguing persons to themselves-Happy new year!! Smile
"Eat your vegetables and do as you're told, or you won't be going to the funfair!"

semios
#3 Posted : 1/21/2012 12:14:43 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Love it, thanks for posting!

Pharmer
#4 Posted : 1/21/2012 6:39:36 AM

ღஐ~Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ~ஐღ

I saw a bunch of eagles, a swan and some wings but where are the chicken's Wink Is this just the name?

My first thought was a bus full of chickens, hahahaha loved the pictures!

Amazing busses!
Perhaps I am asking the wrong questions but it doesn't interest me who you know or how you came to be here. I want to know if you will stand in the center of the fire with me and not shrink back.

RebornInSmoke
#5 Posted : 1/22/2012 6:22:49 AM

Lysergic Feline

those are by far THE best buses i have ever seen.
Gun it to 88...
..::those who speak do not know, those who know do not speak::..
<3

dg
#6 Posted : 1/22/2012 10:14:23 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Cacti expert

Neat post IH!