We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
galanga (alpinia officinarum) Options

polytrip
#1 Posted : 12/24/2011 7:35:30 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Location: A speck of dust in endless space, like everyone else.
Today i have conducted my first experiment with a herb named galangal (alpinia officinarum), close relative of another herb named galanga or galangal, wich is often used in asian food. I find that the medicinal version actually tastes better btwSmile .

I didn´t know in what quantity to ingest it, but because i´ve tasted it before without noticeable effects, i assumed large amounts would be needed to be able to notive any psycho-activity.
I ate 6 teaspoons.

The effects where very mild, but came rather quick to my surprise. I felt a nice light-headedness, a very mild feeling of levitating, and a pleasant warmth throughout my body.
Very, very mild, but definately more than just placebo effects.

This stuff has simmilar effects on the stomach and digestive system as ginger and it could probably be used with ayahuasca, either to be taken before the brew to calm and prepare the stomach, or as admixture maybe.

I will try larger amounts soon, but i have no clue how much would be needed for real psychedelic effects and IF this herb can realy be used as a true psychedelic on it´s own anyway, like some vendor-sites claim.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

AluminumFoilRobots
#2 Posted : 12/25/2011 12:45:52 PM

gufyg

There's a vendor that states that Aleister Crowly liked it, but it's only visionary when mixed with alpine tumeric. However, that vendor has some bunk claims on it (they have a strain of kratom which they say is from the "Korth" region of Thailand, when in fact no such region exists and the "korth" stands of course for Pieter Korthals the dutch botanist!)
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

Fairly responsible Kratom user.

"whenever he drank ayahuasca, he had such beautiful visions that he used to put his hands over his eyes for fear somebody might steal them."
in between the grinding-brakes of a train crash while aluminum-foil robots make obnoxious sex noises on a static-filled walkie-talkie radio.

Phlux-
#3 Posted : 12/25/2011 1:44:42 PM

The Root

Chemical expertSenior Member

i tried eating quite a lot and didnt notice fx
antrocles wrote:
...purity of intent....purity of execution....purity of experience...

...unlike the "blind leading the blind". we are more akin to a group of blind-from-birth people who have all simultaneously been given the gift of sight but have no words or mental processing capabilites to work with this new "gift".

IT IS ONLY TO THE EXTENT THAT WE ARE WILLING TO EXPOSE OURSELVES OVER AND OVER AGAIN TO ANNIHILATION THAT WE DISCOVER THAT PART OF OURSELVES THAT IS INDESTRUCTIBLE.

Quote:
‹Jorkest› the wall is impenetrable as far as i can tell

Quote:
‹xtechre› cheese is great

He who packs ur capsules - controls your destiny.

polytrip
#4 Posted : 12/25/2011 3:48:14 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Location: A speck of dust in endless space, like everyone else.
I tried a larger dose today and the effects wheren´t much stronger. So either you quickly build up tolerance for the effects of this herb, or it doesn´t get more spectacular than just a pleasant, warm feeling and some lightheadedness.

I still think it could be usefull because of it´s ginger-like effects on the stomach. The pleasant feelings of warmth are just a nice bonus then.

Hyperspace Fool
#5 Posted : 12/26/2011 10:06:12 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I've been messing with Galangal for many years. I guess I bought it from the same vendor you all are referencing with the claims of Crowley loving it, and Himalayan shaman using it with Alpine Turmeric (which I also bought).

I have never found it to be overly psychoactive, but it does have some effects. I think it is probably quite healthy (as is turmeric) though. I use it to flavor food, and find that it does have ginger like effects... only somewhat more pronounced. It it certainly hotter and spicier.

Come to think of it, I did try smoking it a few times. (ground into a powder) It did have some effects, but none that I was overly impressed with. It was interesting enough to imagine that some people might find it to be a more clear headed substitute for other smoking substances.

I guess that it would make a decent admixture herb. I never payed attention to its anti-emetic or counter nausea effects, but considering how well ginger works for that... I would not be surprised if it turns out to be a valuable ally in this respect. I never noticed anything special about the combination with turmeric, but as others have mentioned that vendor has made claims I couldn't back up later a number of times. I think they promoted the use of Holy Basil Seeds (Tulsi) with Patchouli or something like that.

Who knows? Maybe these things just need higher doses to really shine? Maybe there is a magic combination that would be ideal shaman's smoke... Though having tried a ton of such herbs and admixtures (alone and in various combinations) I won't be holding my breath. The best I can say is that some of them make a great bouquet bed to lay changa.

If you discover anything, let us know.
"Curiouser and curiouser..." ~ Alice

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it." ~ Buddha