We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Psychedelics for the elderly Options

obliguhl
#1 Posted : 12/23/2011 10:22:25 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Being old is no fun if you have not reached your goals in life.
How can you cope with this, if you got only a couple of years left, and there is no way make up for it?

How can you cope with the additional finanial burden?
The weakening of your body?
The fear of death?

MAPS is trying to turn psyloฤ‡ibin and LSD into prescription medicine for end of life anxiety.

But will doctors really prescribe magic mushrooms to help the elderly integrate their life, to come to terms with it? Without any life threatening illness (e.g cancer) present?

Here, many old people are left alone. The rot in their tiny rooms, without much company. But they have so much to share, and so much to properly relive and integrate themselves. Sure thing, a mushroom trip can't fix a whole life of errors. But can't we give them at least some peace with the aid of psychedelics?

Which one would be most appropriate?

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

corpus callosum
#2 Posted : 12/23/2011 11:11:12 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Medical DoctorModerator

I think that psychedelics would need to need to become established therapeutic agents for definable ailments first before this would a possible indication for their use.I believe it would be beneficial for some (having considered any past psychiatric history and current ailments/medication first).My gut feeling is that psilocin/psilocybin would probably be the agent of choice for such a purpose, mainly due to its duration of action which, IMO, puts it above LSD or mescaline as the one to go for.

I am paranoid of my brain. It thinks all the time, even when I'm asleep. My thoughts assail me. Murderous lechers they are. Thought is the assassin of thought. Like a man stabbing himself with one hand while the other hand tries to stop the blade. Like an explosion that destroys the detonator. I am paranoid of my brain. It makes me unsettled and ill at ease. Makes me chase my tail, freezes my eyes and shuts me down. Watches me. Eats my head. It destroys me.

tele
#3 Posted : 12/23/2011 11:11:37 AM
Explorer

While sometimes, even often mushrooms and LSD can relieve anxiety on some issues. They also have the potential to cause a great deal of anxiety, anyone who's had a bad trip(especially in normal state of mind at start) know this very well. Therefore it can be a gamble, can you imagine elderly peoples physical and mental reaction to bad trip? They even could die from that... Mushrooms raise blood pressure even as a normal effect. Basically due to the fact of possibility of a trip gone wrong, in my opinion giving psychedelics to elderly people is simply a bad idea. It's a gamble, even with proper set and setting. But of course if they are thinking "bring it on", I guess they'll take anything. But I would never suggest a trip to a person who's living their last years, simply out of respect. They'll see beyond this reality soon enough!

Quote:
Sure thing, a mushroom trip can't fix a whole life of errors. But can't we give them at least some peace with the aid of psychedelics?

While it's possible that many will get peace after journeying, you must not forget that there are many kind of psychedelic experiences, some of which could drive elderly people to further despair... It's naive to assume people will get peace after taking hallucinogen, even if that would be the case for many or most people.

I think entheogens have a lot to give for people, but we must not forget how they can show you both heaven and hell. Therefore taking a first journey at your final years might be very problematic to some people.

Even if somebody would want to do that, it's extremely important to start from low dosage.