We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
123NEXT
DMT informational video to put on Youtube Options

۩
#1 Posted : 12/19/2011 6:08:07 PM

Hi everyone,

With the recent influx of pathetic DMT videos on youtube, and the misinformation and propaganda being spread about this amazing endogenous tryptamine, I feel it is time that the DMT-Nexus works on an informational video that we can put on youtube anonymously for the masses with NO link to our website what-so-ever!

This will be our work thread for this. Unfortunately I know nothing about this stuff, I simply had this idea. Anyone with the skills to make this happen, please come forward if you are interested in helping out.

I would like to see something that focuses on the TRUTH about DMT.

For example:

We can discuss how it is endogenous and possibly even a neurotransmitter. We can discuss toxicity information and proper administration. We can discuss it's effects on the body and mind. We can also warn people that it is not for everyone and that it is an incredibly profound and challenging experience and that proper care must be ensured in regards to set and setting. Tips can be added as well.

What else would you like to see added? I think it would be a good thing if we refrained from it's mystical side too much- example; entity encounters etc.

A video less than 10 minutes put on youtube with the name "N,N-DMT Information" or something like that to gain peoples' attention may help tune and educate the masses into a closer version of the truth.

What are your thoughts? Let us discuss this. Thanks.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Vodsel
#2 Posted : 12/19/2011 6:33:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: Filmmaking and Storytelling, Video and Audio Technology, Teaching, Gardening, Languages (Proficient Spanish, Catalan and English, and some french, italian and russian), Seafood cuisine

Always a good idea. Lately I've been editing a trailer for a long feature project related to entheogens and therapy, and conversations with the project's director brought up a few good points.

First, the vast majority of media available on topic are hermetic. Aimed to the psychedelic community. When you start watching "The Spirit Molecule", the account of alien landscapes and cities under the DMT rush sounds as suggestive and interesting to the initiate, as it sounds weird and phoney to the layman. As you suggest, the first step would be compiling all the objective, non-speculative information.

Also, presenting it in a sober manner. Staying away from attempts to portray the subjective experience. Mainly, because it is impossible. And in second place, because it relates to the common concept of hallucination, and deciding whether DMT visions are completely endogenous or trans-dimensional insights is not possible, and we want the debate to happen outside of the media, not in the media itself.

So I would say - gather facts, present them in a sober way, reject speculation. It might sound obvious, but editing a piece of media that follows those principles is more tricky than it seems.

obliguhl
#3 Posted : 12/19/2011 8:27:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Might be the only way to fight it....

Someone would have to lend a face or at least voice though.

Is this a possibility? I do not believe that a video without a real human voice will cut it.

Is anyone versed in making animated illustrations? This could also work.

I can cut video and insert additional media. But first a concept would need to be developed because this is prctially PR/advertising.

۩
#4 Posted : 12/19/2011 9:08:48 PM

Quote:
But first a concept would need to be developed because this is prctially PR/advertising.

Let us not direct the video to the nexus what-so-ever. It's simply a DMT informational video. That is the idea. Kind of like my visual DMT diagram but in video format?

obliguhl
#5 Posted : 12/19/2011 9:27:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I meant advertisement for DMT, not the nexus Pleased
You can simply put your diagramm into a video, but that wouldn't be appealing. It would be best if there'd be someone well versed in post-production tools such as after effects.

Or make a REAL video with faces and voices.

۩
#6 Posted : 12/19/2011 9:42:47 PM

I see your point. But as we all know- there is really no stopping DMT videos on youtube anymore, and I think it's best that we put something GOOD and educational out there for curious people instead of all the horrible trip reports we see on there.

ALSO- We can emphasize that recording trips on camera does NO GOOD! Maybe, hopefully, some people will listen.

Vodsel
#7 Posted : 12/19/2011 9:50:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: Filmmaking and Storytelling, Video and Audio Technology, Teaching, Gardening, Languages (Proficient Spanish, Catalan and English, and some french, italian and russian), Seafood cuisine

A voiceover can be recorded and cleaned with minimal resources. Image, in the other hand, is complicated. I've been editing motion picture for quite a long time, and building videos from scratch, and basically we have four options:

- Using a camera and obtaining actual footage. If we don't want to make an amateur video that will have no trascendence (considering we want to include relevant, serious information, and no viral nonsense or sensationalism) this alternative is probably unrealistic.
- Using previous footage on topic from existing sources, preferably obtaining authorization, and assembling it into our discourse.
- Using other archive stock footage and pictures. It can be done, just requires a polished script and lots of documentation work.
- As obliguhl suggests, making a motion graphics video, in the lines of this one.

I think deciding this is mandatory, before building a structure.

۩
#8 Posted : 12/19/2011 9:58:19 PM

Just an idea, I am obviously a n00b

But what about focusing on certain areas of the DMT Diagram, and having a voice over discuss certain parts in detail?

It would be minimal and effective I think.

Thank you for your expertise, Vodsel Smile

Vodsel
#9 Posted : 12/19/2011 10:13:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

۩ wrote:
But what about focusing on certain areas of the DMT Diagram, and having a voice over discuss certain parts in detail?

It would be minimal and effective I think.

Your DMT Diagram is very nice, house. I downloaded it in my first visit to the Nexus. But besides the fact that it focuses solely on DMT administration (it doesn't cover basics for non-nexians like what is DMT, or how can it be obtained, and an overlook on its effects) it calls more for a flash interactive animation, or a simple DMT 101 website. Which is also an idea to consider.

The problem with moving image is that the visuals are very important, if you intend to reach people. And no matter how accurate the content is, unless it is truly mindblowing, a youtube video requires more than bubbles of text with a voiceover. But again, maybe I'm too picky regarding visuals...

۩
#10 Posted : 12/19/2011 10:16:29 PM

^I agree it definitely makes it more appealing to the wide range audience that youtube serves. Very true.

Mindlusion
#11 Posted : 12/19/2011 11:40:44 PM

Chairman of the Celestial Divison

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

Dont forget to add a clip of a 14 year old child smoking DMT, followed by screaming and jumping out a window.

hehe, in all seriousness I think this is a fantastic idea.
Expect nothing, Receive everything.
"Experiment and extrapolation is the only means the organic chemists (humans) currrently have - in contrast to "God" (and possibly R. B. Woodward). "
He alone sees truly who sees the Absolute the same in every creature...seeing the same Absolute everywhere, he does not harm himself or others. - The Bhagavad Gita
"The most beautiful thing we can experience, is the mysterious. The source of all true art and science."

DoctorMantus
#12 Posted : 12/20/2011 12:14:57 AM

Hyperspace Architect/Doctor

I say its a great idea, were is Digitalsam, he makes movies all the time.

I am sure we could gather all the info and ideas we have towards this video to give to digital, and he could probably create a video out of it.
"You are an explorer, and you represent our species, and the greatest good you can do is to bring back a new idea, because our world is endangered by the absence of good ideas. Our world is in crisis because of the absence of consciousness."
— Terence McKenna

"They Say It helps when you close yours eyes cowboy"

clouds
#13 Posted : 12/20/2011 2:22:34 AM

Human

I have a YouTube channel that I created in 2008 with the sole purpose of spreading awareness about psychedelic substances. I started the channel by uploading videos about Terence McKenna, Stanislav Grof and Sasha Shulgin talking about the classic psychedelics and it ended with boring (but much more objective) videos about David Nichols, Franz Vollenweider and Nicholas Cozzi. Needless to say, these last videos will have a lot less views than the first ones. I decided to add Spanish subtitles in some videos to appeal to a wider audience. Right now I have more than a thousand subscribers (which is not that much really), but the interesting thing here is that these subscribers do comment and engage in interesting debates in the comment sections. Some are more spiritually inclined and some others are more realistic and down to earth.

What have I learned from all this?

That 90% of the YouTube audience seeking DMT videos are looking for at least one of theses things:

a) Visually rich content (visuals and cool images)

b) Experiences (whether they be narrated or filmed)

c) Hints on how to make it or where to obtain it.

Seriously, that is ALL the YouTube audience (excuse the generalization) is looking for.

Kids, fools and new-age woo-woos end up at reality sandwich, Joe rogan forums and/or shroomery begging for mercy. On the other hand, ignorant albeit smart people that are searching for reliable information about DMT will most definitely end up at DMT nexus' nursery sooner or later. Now more than ever.

So... if you guys want to create a video to give the YouTube audience reliable and objective information about DMT, I suggest you guys get in contact with the DMT The Spirit Molecule Youtube Page and maybe let them upload your video in their channel. It will get propagated rapidly and the YouTube audience will know that it has been approved by a committed DMT enthusiast. Also, you guys will see in their channel, that they just uploaded a video called "Movie excerpt: DMT research volunteers describe their experience" which has +10,000 views in less than 2 months. Why? Because it meets criteria a) and b) and is uploaded by the producers of the documentary themselves.

P.S. My last attempt at the propagation of DMT information is a video I made in 2009 called:

Anyway, I think I got my point across... good luck with the project and if you guys want to upload it in my channel (in case the DMT Documentary producers reject the proposal) I would be happy to host it and distribute it in several forums.

Cheers.

obliguhl
#14 Posted : 12/20/2011 7:20:48 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
But again, maybe I'm too picky regarding visuals...

No, that was the point i was trying to make. The audience expects a mindblowing video that utilizes the medium to it's fullest. We are socialized to expect a certain standard of Film. There is still the option of flooding youtube with smaller, not so mindblowing videos. Might be one strategy to consider. Perhaps the could link to the one BIG Video, making it stronger.

These small videos would have to be discussed in here and "approved", to make sure the creator did not miss anything.

You can also buy short, professional voiceovers at fiverr.com, but not sure how many of these guys would talk about DMT, propably none.

Vodsel
#15 Posted : 12/20/2011 11:17:20 AM

DMT-Nexus member

clouds wrote:
I have a YouTube channel that I created in 2008 with the sole purpose of spreading awareness about psychedelic substances (...)

clouds, really priceless feedback you are leaving here about youtube and the flow of online audiences. Not to mention your offering. Now, if you tell me the CGI of the hyperspace video is (even partially) yours, socks will be knocked off.

In any case, I make a personal sticky of your post. Thank you.

obliguhl wrote:
There is still the option of flooding youtube with smaller, not so mindblowing videos. Might be one strategy to consider. Perhaps the could link to the one BIG Video, making it stronger.

These small videos would have to be discussed in here and "approved", to make sure the creator did not miss anything.

You can also buy short, professional voiceovers at fiverr.com, but not sure how many of these guys would talk about DMT, propably none.

Regarding voiceovers, we have another option: speech synthesis. I know about some libraries and tools that might deliver a quite better result than you are imagining right now Smile

And let's hear what house has to say, but as far as I'm concerned, I like your idea of a series of short, concise videos, with completely generated visual content (or, at most, with a few pinches of public domain imagery, if you want). It's easier to agree about brief capsules of information, and working in a sample draft of a one or two minutes video, as a book of style if you want, sounds more feasible than a longer, more complex piece. Specially considering the consensus required, and the likely fragmentation and distribution of the work.

Now, the question I'd like to leave for you guys - How would you structure contents, in an series of X short clips, to cover basic and reliable facts on DMT? At first, it suggests something like this:
- What is DMT?
- Where is DMT found?
- What are the DMT effects?
- How can be DMT used?
- What is the legal situation of DMT?
etc.

Shaolin
#16 Posted : 12/20/2011 8:14:13 PM

Stiletto Stoner

I would focus more on blasting the myths and misinfos than making a videoWiki, so maybe gathering the most common DMT YoutTube nonsense and presenting the facts ?
Got GVG ? Mhm. Got DMT ?

Pandora wrote:
Nexus enjoys cutting edge and ongoing superior programming skills of the owner of this site (The Traveler), including recent switching to the .me domain name.

I'm still, I'm still Jenny from the block

Simon Jester wrote:
"WTF n00b, buy the $100 vapor pipe or GTFO"

Ignorance of the law does not protect you from prosecution

actualfactual
#17 Posted : 12/20/2011 8:37:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
Kids, fools and new-age woo-woos end up at reality sandwich, Joe rogan forums and/or shroomery begging for mercy. On the other hand, ignorant albeit smart people that are searching for reliable information about DMT will most definitely end up at DMT nexus' nursery sooner or later. Now more than ever.

That is what I was thinking. Credible information about DMT is available to anyone who wants to look for it. I don't hold much hope for the Youtube crowd.

biopsylo
#18 Posted : 12/21/2011 1:52:31 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I Love the idea of a positive informational video about dmt to post on utube and other sites.

I have been editing in FCP for years now, and would love to help out in free time.

Is there a platform (other than you tube) where we can collaborate on works in progress, to share video, and try different edits? basically a way to share video in raw form to generate ideas?

EDIT:
http://www.nefsis.com/Be...are/desktop-sharing.html

something like this may be really cool

idtravlr
#19 Posted : 12/21/2011 7:42:22 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hmm... I'm not really sure what to make of all this. I know this sounds all too tech / geeky, but: What is the problem statement? What is broken that we need to fix? Once that is defined, we need to determine how are we going to fix such a complex human controversy, on sooooo many levels, with just a simple video. Even more, can we fix it?

Fixing misconception of LSD was certainly tried back in the 60's and 70's, but it was not very successful. What can be learned from those attempts?

I think the idea and the effort are both great, and of great value. I just don't see that our society is at a point to accept the ideas, believes, theories, concepts, and / or realities that DMT serves up. I just think we are hundreds, if not thousands of years behind that kind of understanding by the general public.

In short, I think a well formed, intelligently directed video would be cool, and certainly get people watching, but what is the real impact it would have 3, 5, 10, or 20 days after they've seen it? What's the impact 2 years after they've watched it?

I really think youtube (as has been stated already) will draw fix seekers, and drug proponents.

WHAT I DO THINK WOULD BE REALLY HELPFUL IS TO GET SOMETHING OUT ON A NAT GEO, OR DISCOVERY CHANNEL OF SOME SORT. I've watched many similar genre shows get many people to start thinking much more openly and globally.

BTW Clouds - Those videos were very cool to watch as someone who already knows DMT. Not sure how a layman would take them. Many different ways I would assume.

Good thread though! I think this is worth exploring to maturity. Sometime in the year 2198 or so.
I am not a drug addict seeking escape from reality. I am an explorer of consciousness challenging consensus reality.

…is DMT dangerous? The answer is only if you fear death by astonishment… [crowd laughter]… Remember how you laughed when this possibility was raised… a moment will come that will wipe the smile right off your face.
-Terence McKenna

biopsylo
#20 Posted : 12/22/2011 1:22:03 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
Fixing misconception of LSD was certainly tried back in the 60's and 70's, but it was not very successful. What can be learned from those attempts?

back then they didn't have the advantage of the internet

Quote:
I think the idea and the effort are both great, and of great value. I just don't see that our society is at a point to accept the ideas, believes, theories, concepts, and / or realities that DMT serves up. I just think we are hundreds, if not thousands of years behind that kind of understanding by the general public.

maybe a video like this could spread awareness that such molecules exist all around us, indeed within us, and that access to bizarre and intriguing landscapes is so very close at hand and is accessible for anyone who has the courage.

the 'general public' will probably not stumble on videos like this. but those who do can be educated about health and safety, ecological harvesting and processing, and responsible use- positive attitude and respect. something like this could be the "ahhh ha" for some spun kids looking for a ride, as well as a new informational and educational piece for those completely naive to the subject.

Quote:
WHAT I DO THINK WOULD BE REALLY HELPFUL IS TO GET SOMETHING OUT ON A NAT GEO, OR DISCOVERY CHANNEL OF SOME SORT. I've watched many similar genre shows get many people to start thinking much more openly and globally.

thats good!! aim high. a simple video on youtube could indeed lead into something much, much larger

peace

123NEXT