We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Poll Question : Do you think we should stop using "SWIM" around here ?
Choice Votes Statistics
Yes 81 96 %
No 3 3 %

123NEXT»
Stop SWIMING Options

neZ
#1 Posted : 2/25/2011 2:15:14 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I remember reading a thread where a poster mentioned someone getting raided/fined, I believe as a result of a post on the DMT nexus site.

I was just wondering if there is any truth to this? Is this why people use the "SWIM" acronym?

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Entropymancer
#2 Posted : 2/25/2011 2:32:51 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumModerator | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumChemical expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumSenior Member | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorum

I don't recall any such thing happening (though it could have been during a time when I wasn't active on the boards).

But no, people have used "SWIM" long before the Nexus began. It's not really an effective legal strategy, but some paranoid people seem to take comfort in the acronym.

elphologist1
#3 Posted : 2/25/2011 2:58:06 AM
DMT-Nexus member

SWIM = Someone Who will be Incarcerated Momentarily

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I used to frequent a chemistry board where the use of SWIM was frowned upon and when someone posted with it we would give them that definition.

elphologist

guesswho
#4 Posted : 2/25/2011 4:22:54 AM
Josh

SWIM = Someone Who IS Me

Theres really no legal benefit and using SWIM won't help you. Some other boards require it, some other boards don't allow it. I personally think its pointless but some people are just used to using it so it carries through to this board.

It is sort of like "you" versus "u". If a judge sees a transcript of internet messages and sees "when do u want to meet", they will read it as "when do you want to meet". The symbol/letter/term you use doesn't matter, it is the accepted meaning.
Life is just a collection of experiences, and I hope to experience them all

Some are for everything, but nothing is for everyone

actualfactual
#5 Posted : 2/25/2011 4:25:50 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I'd assume generally when people get raided a fine is the least of their concerns.

Perceptual Reality
#6 Posted : 2/25/2011 4:34:16 AM

DMT-Nexus member

neZ wrote:
I remember reading a thread where a poster mentioned someone getting raided/fined

Do you by any chance remember the thread? O.o
We are perceptions, we can all change. Everything Perceptual Reality posts is hypothetical or fictional.

Perceptual Reality is an outer-space inhabitant with the capability to send messages through channeled thoughts and consciousness, therefore, earthly laws and regulations do not apply. "It" Is a student studying, learning, and passing these teaching onto other students.

Unconditional love to the great beyond!

Saltydawg
#7 Posted : 2/25/2011 5:18:23 AM

pppfff

so, using swim doesnt really help? Shocked from now on i'll use jimmy Laughing
I am a saltydawg using my master's computer posting fictional posts for another saltydawg that lives in a different country.

Cdoc
#8 Posted : 2/25/2011 6:06:50 AM
DMT-Nexus member

haha well now any authority who possibly monitered this thread will know jimmy = you haha
cdoc is a fictional character, and does not represent any real life persons actions. Anything said is also ficticious in nature with no ties to real events or people, any tie to real life events or persons is purely coincidental.

nn-DreemMasterTree
#9 Posted : 2/25/2011 7:53:50 AM

samsara

Surrounding Words Internal Meaning

"Pay attention. And keep breathing." Terence McKenna

endlessness
#10 Posted : 2/25/2011 9:41:20 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Nope AFAIK thus far nobody was raided because of posting online on psychedelic forums. There were a couple of people raided here in the forum but one was because of growing weed/stealing electricity, the other was because he was a suspected weed dealer by the police.

Use SWIM only if you want, we dont really care. I dont think it makes much difference but it wont hurt either, so, as you please

guesswho
#11 Posted : 2/25/2011 9:55:21 AM
Josh

endlessness wrote:
Nope AFAIK thus far nobody was raided because of posting online on psychedelic forums. There were a couple of people raided here in the forum but one was because of growing weed/stealing electricity, the other was because he was a suspected weed dealer by the police.

And the lesson we can learn here kids?.... if you're growing weed you probably shouldn't steal electricity (and vice versa).
Life is just a collection of experiences, and I hope to experience them all

Some are for everything, but nothing is for everyone

Perceptual Reality
#12 Posted : 2/25/2011 3:35:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

endlessness wrote:

Use SWIM only if you want, we dont really care. I dont think it makes much difference but it wont hurt either, so, as you please

Good to knowWink
We are perceptions, we can all change. Everything Perceptual Reality posts is hypothetical or fictional.

Perceptual Reality is an outer-space inhabitant with the capability to send messages through channeled thoughts and consciousness, therefore, earthly laws and regulations do not apply. "It" Is a student studying, learning, and passing these teaching onto other students.

Unconditional love to the great beyond!

DeMenTed
#13 Posted : 2/25/2011 4:01:11 PM

Barry

I prefer a friend of my goldfish's ex girlfriends sister in law, i think it sounds way more believable Smile

smokerx
#14 Posted : 12/17/2011 8:38:16 PM

ThGiL fO TiRipS

I think it is just annoying word that will not protect you. But that's me. Lets see what you guys think about it ?

We are each of us angels with only one wing, and we can only fly by embracing one another.

We are all living in our own feces.

actualfactual
#15 Posted : 12/17/2011 8:40:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I definitely agree, but it seems to give some people a (false) sense of security.

smokerx
#16 Posted : 12/17/2011 8:46:25 PM

ThGiL fO TiRipS

actualfactual wrote:
I definitely agree, but it seems to give some people a (false) sense of security.

yes it does I started with it as well but after few posts I just could not stand it Smile
We are each of us angels with only one wing, and we can only fly by embracing one another.

We are all living in our own feces.

۩
#17 Posted : 12/17/2011 8:56:09 PM

SWIM must die! We all know it's you!!

tele
#18 Posted : 12/17/2011 9:29:27 PM
Explorer

If one reads some old nexus posts, there was much more SWIMming going on, don't know why's this. However when I see those members posting these days, there's no swimming. The posts I was reading were from '08... No I won't dig em up, just saying.

I feel swimming is unnecessary... Or is there any recorded arrests based on internet posts? Come on, we are not in... THAT f'd up world...

actualfactual
#19 Posted : 12/17/2011 9:47:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
I feel swimming is unnecessary... Or is there any recorded arrests based on internet posts? Come on, we are not in... THAT f'd up world...

Plus look at the logistics involved. To match an IP to a post they would need to get the records from Trav. The box is located in the Netherlands, so it's not like the FBI can just run in and steal the server.

Even in some unrealistic scenario where Trav is really the DEA and has your IP address, do you really think that you can claim you didn't mean your posts because they were prefaced with "SWIM"? It really is ridiculous when you think about it, I have no idea why so many people think this is some sort of protection.

ewok
#20 Posted : 12/17/2011 11:38:17 PM

More than as a security issue its just annoying when reading posts where swim is every second word, these days I just skip it as soon as I see swim.
Black then white are all I see in my infancy.
Red and yellow then came to be,
reaching out to me, lets me see.
There is so much more and it beckons me to look though to these,
infinite possibilities.
As below so above and beyond I imagine,
drawn outside the lines of reason.
Push the envelope. Watch it bend.

123NEXT»