We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
Scales - cheap vs expensive Options

bentham
#1 Posted : 12/15/2011 7:15:46 AM
The faithful

As Britney says, Sup y'all?

My question is rather simple - would you rather buy a serious 0.1g scale (which, out of the expensive scales, is the best I can afford - really don't want to spend $300 on a scale) or a cheapo 0.001g scale?

I mean, say the good 0.1g scale is 100% accurate - you still cannot measure anything below 100mg. On the other hand, how accurate can the 0.001g cheap scale really be?

Thank you for your time.

Ps, I'm sure this question has been asked before in one form or another, but I really can't find an answer specific to the expensive but low readability vs cheap but high purported readability queston.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

actualfactual
#2 Posted : 12/15/2011 7:24:54 AM

DMT-Nexus member

spend $25 on a .001 scale imo

I've had mine a year and i'd trust it within ~5-10mg or so. good enough for DMT

a1pha
#3 Posted : 12/15/2011 7:39:45 AM

Moderator | Skills: Master hacker!

I hear the Gemini-20 is a good value.

However, the GPR-20 is on my wish list.
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." -A.Huxley

christian
#4 Posted : 12/15/2011 8:11:02 AM

DMT-Nexus member

yea, those cheap ebay scales are more than good enough for your needs. regarding weighing in milligrammes, place and replace material, rather than add to the bowl, which won't register small change as such. Not an issue wityh 100mg+ though!
"Eat your vegetables and do as you're told, or you won't be going to the funfair!"

cjames
#5 Posted : 12/15/2011 8:36:46 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I use the Gemini-20 although it's unbranded here in the UK. Not had any problems and it seems pretty accurate.

dtrypt
#6 Posted : 12/15/2011 9:25:44 AM

13.7 Billion Year Old Noob

A 0.1g scale will lead to eyeballing, mistakes and a possible hyperslap from doing too much. I settled on a quality 0.01 scale as a compromise...

Psychonaut In Orbit
#7 Posted : 12/15/2011 9:30:30 AM

Ancient Futuristic Organisms

got a cheapo blade scale and I eyeball my doses. weigh out (by adding little by little bits of spice until it registers) .1 and then split it into 4 bumps of similar size for ~25 mg doses... or split up a .1 into three bumps of similar size for a "breakthrough dose" or something close to it. After splitting up my doses I add a very tiny sprinkle to the dose just for good measure... rather have enough than not enough Cool

Happy hyperspacing....
1% of reality is within our plane of existence. What we feel... what we see... what we hear... what we "think" we know... The other 99% percent of reality can only be shown to us through DMT. This 99% lies within the "Realm of the Unknowns". We can only experience FULL reality when we leave this vessel, our bodies. DMT gives us a taste of this full reality... the universal knowledge is given to us by the beings who call "hyperspace" their home. When in hyperspace there is no "self" but instead this self is replaced with pure and raw energy. ENERGY CAN NOT BE DESTROYED, ONLY TRANSFERRED OR TRANSFORMED! So when you have that "ego-death" during a breakthrough trip, don't fret, you are not being destroyed but yet..... YOU ARE BEING TRANSFORMED.

I LOVE YOU, RESPECT YOU AND I THANK YOU... Dimethyltryptamine ... for showing me the 99% of reality that I would never have experienced in everyday life.

*All posts under this moniker, Psychonaut In Orbit, is for entertainment and research purposes only. All events stated to have happened, or witnessed are all heresay and fictional*

VoidTraveler
#8 Posted : 12/15/2011 12:37:06 PM

Traveler's pet cactus

Senior Member | Skills: Harm reduction

I have a rather cheap scale that's supposedly to do 0.001g, but it has serious difficulties measuring anything below 0.1g. So I only use it to measure the yields from my extractions. I got myself a little 'spoon' which is about 10mg per scoop. So I just do 3 or 4 scoops and place that inside my pipe. While I still haven't had a breakthrough I think i'm quite sure I should be able to breakthrough with just 3 scoops if I work a bit on my vaporization technique.
The spice extends life.
The spice expands consciousness.
The spice is vital to space travel.

Parshvik Chintan
#9 Posted : 12/15/2011 1:53:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Psychonaut In Orbit wrote:
rather have enough than not enough Cool

yea well, the thing about that is:
you can always smoalk moar.
to my knowledge you can't unsmoalk DMT, so i am of the "better safe than sorry" camp.
My wind instrument is the bong
CHANGA IN THE BONGA!

Purges
#10 Posted : 12/15/2011 2:24:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I got these bad boys, not the cheapest out there, not too pricey either, happy medium, and most importantly, goes to 0.001 Cool

http://www.everyonedoesi...001g.cfm?iProductID=6454

Lose Control, Free My Soul, Break Me Open, Make Me Whole.
"DMT kicked my balls off" - od3

bentham
#11 Posted : 12/15/2011 6:42:16 PM
The faithful

Thank you for all your replies.

I'll definitely try and find a "happy medium", so thank you for your suggestions, they are very much appreciated!

The other, less techno suggestions are also interesting (eg the 10mg spoon).

actualfactual
#12 Posted : 12/15/2011 6:55:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

bentham wrote:
Thank you for all your replies.

I'll definitely try and find a "happy medium", so thank you for your suggestions, they are very much appreciated!

The other, less techno suggestions are also interesting (eg the 10mg spoon).

I don't recommend anything other than a scale. 10mg of different batches of spice can look very different.

Psychonaut In Orbit
#13 Posted : 12/15/2011 7:41:54 PM

Ancient Futuristic Organisms

Parshvik Chintan wrote:
Psychonaut In Orbit wrote:
rather have enough than not enough Cool

yea well, the thing about that is:
you can always smoalk moar.
to my knowledge you can't unsmoalk DMT, so i am of the "better safe than sorry" camp.

That's true, better safe than sorry, but for me when it comes to spice I feel comfortable with the amount I can eyeball (and I say that with all due respect to the spice)... I've never gone overboard (there's a first time for everything Wink ) and the unpredictable nature of spice is something I've come to expect and respect. There's been times where I've known I've put more than enough in my pipe for a breakthrough only to get a visual light show, and there's been times where I felt as though I've skimped on a dose and ended up having a "breakthrough-like" experience. It's all in how you approach it. I've been through enough trips to feel and know the general dose I need to blast off....with my "general" doses I split that in half and give that to "first timers" and it's been a success every time... they get the feel of Dimitri without being slung to the other side of the galaxy (but 9/10 they end up wanting more or a "stronger" dose anyway). Overall I'm saying I've found a method that works for me and others that I've shown the spice... i'm not saying that my method will work with everyone else but it hasn't steered me wrong in ~60 trips. Smile
1% of reality is within our plane of existence. What we feel... what we see... what we hear... what we "think" we know... The other 99% percent of reality can only be shown to us through DMT. This 99% lies within the "Realm of the Unknowns". We can only experience FULL reality when we leave this vessel, our bodies. DMT gives us a taste of this full reality... the universal knowledge is given to us by the beings who call "hyperspace" their home. When in hyperspace there is no "self" but instead this self is replaced with pure and raw energy. ENERGY CAN NOT BE DESTROYED, ONLY TRANSFERRED OR TRANSFORMED! So when you have that "ego-death" during a breakthrough trip, don't fret, you are not being destroyed but yet..... YOU ARE BEING TRANSFORMED.

I LOVE YOU, RESPECT YOU AND I THANK YOU... Dimethyltryptamine ... for showing me the 99% of reality that I would never have experienced in everyday life.

*All posts under this moniker, Psychonaut In Orbit, is for entertainment and research purposes only. All events stated to have happened, or witnessed are all heresay and fictional*

lysergicIV
#14 Posted : 12/15/2011 7:43:30 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I currently use a .00 scale as well and while not ideal it hasn't let me down yet.

smokerx
#15 Posted : 12/15/2011 8:40:13 PM

ThGiL fO TiRipS

a1pha wrote:

I have this one and its very good no need to buy pro scale
We are each of us angels with only one wing, and we can only fly by embracing one another.

We are all living in our own feces.

Shaolin
#16 Posted : 12/15/2011 9:03:30 PM

Stiletto Stoner

smokerx wrote:
a1pha wrote:

I have this one and its very good no need to buy pro scale

ebay ("0.001g scale"Pleased and dealextreme (same search terms) have it 5-10$ bucks cheaper.
Got GVG ? Mhm. Got DMT ?

Pandora wrote:
Nexus enjoys cutting edge and ongoing superior programming skills of the owner of this site (The Traveler), including recent switching to the .me domain name.

I'm still, I'm still Jenny from the block

Simon Jester wrote:
"WTF n00b, buy the $100 vapor pipe or GTFO"

Ignorance of the law does not protect you from prosecution

semios
#17 Posted : 2/10/2012 7:20:48 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I am in the process of sending back the SECOND-IN-A-ROW crappy non-working American Weigh GPR-20 I've gotten from Amazon. The last one was DOA. On this one the display is messed up and does not show all the sides of numbers, making it very hard to read. I used it a few times, figuring out the weight by context ("It just passed looks-like-maybe-two so it must have settled on looks-like-maybe-a-three..."Pleased. It seems like a perfectly decent scale if only I could get one that %$#^&*% works.

Phantastica
#18 Posted : 2/10/2012 8:38:04 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I have a cheap (~$8 ) 0.001g scale that i bought from ebay, which works perfectly, and accurately. it hasn't given me any problems thus far...i've had it for almost a year.
<3

3rdI
#19 Posted : 2/10/2012 9:08:31 AM

veni, vidi, spici

another vote for the Gemini-20, mine havnt let me down yet
INHALE, SURVIVE, ADAPT

it's all in your mind, but what's your mind???

fool of the year

Indoril_Nerevar
#20 Posted : 2/10/2012 1:37:17 PM

The third eye,humanity's only hope...

Go for Gemini-20, it's 0.001 and very very accurate if you know how to handle it and have steady hands.Plus it costs like 5 euros on ebay if you buy it from hong kong.So +1 for Gemini-20 Very happy
The character Indoril_Nerevar is an artistic work of fiction, and thus all his claims and ideas are works of falsehood and fiction and should be treated likewise. There is no relation between Indoril_Nerevar and any real living or dead person, and any existing similarity or seeming relation is purerly coincidental.

12NEXT