We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
why is DMT harmful in high doses? Options

settings
#1 Posted : 12/12/2011 9:11:42 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I'm just wondering why DMT is harmful as a chemical.

i know in a low dose it's known to be pretty safe but why isnt it in higher doses?

it just got me thinking when i noticed that while LSD is around 300x stronger by weight, the LD50 of DMT is only twice as much as it is for LSD.

i have had a look round but have been unable to find anything on why its toxic at certain doses.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

universecannon
#2 Posted : 12/12/2011 9:19:24 PM

Moderator | Skills: harmalas, melatonin, trip advice, lucid dreaming

No one has ever died from taking too much dmt or suffered any kind of physical damage directly related to the metabolization of the molecule AFAIK. Its not "harmful as a chemical"..where did you get that idea?

almost anything is bad for you if you increase the dosage enough, but that doesn't mean dmt at doses that are actually consumed is harmful. look at the college kids OD'ing on water these days in frat houses

vape away without fear, its all good Very happy

<Ringworm>hehehe, it's all fun and games till someone loses an "I"

CosmikDebris
#3 Posted : 12/12/2011 9:20:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

^ Howabout mental damage?

Shaolin
#4 Posted : 12/12/2011 9:38:29 PM

Stiletto Stoner

I'm guessing OP is asking, what happens when DMT amount reaches a dosage of LD50.

Some data can be found here.
Got GVG ? Mhm. Got DMT ?

Pandora wrote:
Nexus enjoys cutting edge and ongoing superior programming skills of the owner of this site (The Traveler), including recent switching to the .me domain name.

I'm still, I'm still Jenny from the block

Simon Jester wrote:
"WTF n00b, buy the $100 vapor pipe or GTFO"

Ignorance of the law does not protect you from prosecution

VoidTraveler
#5 Posted : 12/12/2011 9:43:53 PM

Traveler's pet cactus

Senior Member | Skills: Harm reduction

As said, any substance is deadly in large quantities. I bet you can even die from consuming too much proteins in one go too and inhaling pure oxygen isn't very good for you either. And that is logical: Your body is a very tightly knit machine that's very efficient and sometimes very inefficient at processing the various substances you put into it. Ranging from light to oxygen to nutrients. Your body needs all process all of it. Some are turned into electrical pulses, others are encapsulated by body cells and transported all across your body for further processing.

When you take in too much of any substance your body is flooded with it. The tubes become clogged with this substance, blocking the flow of other evenly important things from reaching their destination. It's like clamping off the fuel line of an engine or flooding it with a foreign substance like water. At some point the engine will start coughing and stop running.

As for the mental damage: it has nothing to do with the chemical, it has to do with the user. Some people aren't made to take psychedelics. Mental damage is always a risk if you're not mentally strong enough or can't determine what is real or not real. Mental damage is a difficult topic as it's the user that takes the experience the wrong way, not the chemical smacking a hammer around in your brain to destroy it.
The spice extends life.
The spice expands consciousness.
The spice is vital to space travel.

Shaolin
#6 Posted : 12/12/2011 9:58:03 PM

Stiletto Stoner

VoidTraveller wrote:

When you take in too much of any substance your body is flooded with it. The tubes become clogged with this substance, blocking the flow of other evenly important things from reaching their destination. It's like clamping off the fuel line of an engine or flooding it with a foreign substance like water. At some point the engine will start coughing and stop running.

I don't feel this is an adequate explanation for toxicity of any substance. Metaphore instead of an actual mechanism is all good but I think you simplified the matter too much.
Got GVG ? Mhm. Got DMT ?

Pandora wrote:
Nexus enjoys cutting edge and ongoing superior programming skills of the owner of this site (The Traveler), including recent switching to the .me domain name.

Simon Jester wrote:

tele
#7 Posted : 12/12/2011 10:05:10 PM
Explorer

It's as harmful as water

Shaolin
#8 Posted : 12/12/2011 11:05:34 PM

Stiletto Stoner

tele wrote:
It's as harmful as water

settings wrote:

i know in a low dose it's known to be pretty safe but why isnt it in higher doses?

Possible toxicity of DMT at higher dosage is not addressed by that reply and even if, smoalking 100g of water is safer than smoalking 100g of DMT.

Attached:
Risk assessment of ritual use of oral dimethyltryptamine (DMT) and harmala alkaloids
Robert S. Gable

Got GVG ? Mhm. Got DMT ?

Pandora wrote:

Simon Jester wrote:

Parshvik Chintan
#9 Posted : 12/12/2011 11:38:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Shaolin wrote:
Possible toxicity of DMT at higher dosage is not addressed by that reply and even if, smoalking 100g of water is safer than smoalking 100g of DMT.

only because 100g of water isn't even an active dose.
whereas 100g of dmt is an extreme overdose.
My wind instrument is the bong
CHANGA IN THE BONGA!

PrimateSphinx
#10 Posted : 12/12/2011 11:49:27 PM

The Rhythmic Dúnedain

I wouldn't say it is necessarily harmful as it is extremely overwhelming and shocking to the nervous system. The two times I have taken 50-60 mg (i didn't weigh does then so I don't know how much it was, it was big though and I know this is stupid) in one hit out of a bong(which i would not recommend to anyone, especially whilst on acid which was the case the first time) it almost literally punched me in the face and all i could do was lay there horrified wishing it would stop. I was pretty traumatized after both of these experiences and it took some real integrating back to reality afterwords til i felt normal again.
What are we but stupefied dancers to a discordant stystem, we believe - so we're mislead
we assume - so we're played
we confide - so we're deceived
we trust - so we're betrayed

settings
#11 Posted : 12/12/2011 11:52:35 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Parshvik Chintan wrote:
Shaolin wrote:

100g of DMT would kill you and i want to know why that is all.

just out of intrest really, it does not worry me for the same reasons it doesnt worry me to take a paracetamol which obviously wont kill me but could if i ate a box of them.

thanks for the links guys, i will read that summary then probably have a read of the article which i have scimmed over and i think its relevent.

PrimateSphinx
#12 Posted : 12/13/2011 12:02:00 AM

The Rhythmic Dúnedain

settings wrote:

100g of DMT would kill you and i want to know why that is all.

would it though? In the DMT chapter of TIHKAL Shulgin says he smoked 100 mg doses and 85 mg intramuscularly and he turned out alright. and is "water" some new drug term that i'm not aware of guys? or are you just screwing around and saying water can kill you too. I'm confused.
What are we but stupefied dancers to a discordant stystem, we believe - so we're mislead

Parshvik Chintan
#13 Posted : 12/13/2011 12:05:02 AM

DMT-Nexus member

PrimateSphinx wrote:
and is "water" some new drug term that i'm not aware of guys? or are you just screwing around and saying water can kill you too. I'm confused.

lol the only screwing around was saying 100g isn't an active dose.
but have you never heard of water poisoning?
CHANGA IN THE BONGA!

PrimateSphinx
#14 Posted : 12/13/2011 12:06:54 AM

The Rhythmic Dúnedain

no I have, UC just said "ODing" on water and i thought i might be missing something

River of Thoughts
#15 Posted : 12/13/2011 12:15:38 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Parshvik Chintan wrote:
Shaolin wrote:

Also 80% of our body is compromised of water.

Parshvik Chintan
#16 Posted : 12/13/2011 12:31:48 AM

DMT-Nexus member

River of Thoughts wrote:
Also 80% of our body is compromised of water.

and??
we also have dmt in our body in tiny amounts.
are you suggesting we should be comprised of equal parts of all chemicals that exist in our body?
if not then what is the purpose of your post?
CHANGA IN THE BONGA!

BananaForeskin
#17 Posted : 12/13/2011 1:01:07 AM

I Eat Plant Magic

settings, I'm sorry, this thread is extremely confused.

100g of DMT would kill you for the same reasons 100g of most any pure alkaloid would kill you. We're not talking about 100g of marijuana here, we're talking about the chemical itself; even 100g of THC would kill you. That's just TOO MUCH.

I don't know the science behind it, but I think it's safe to say that your brain and/or heart would probably explode, possibly followed by the fabric of space-time surrounding you (given you've ingested 100g of DMT).
¤ø¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø¸„ø¤º¨

.^.^.^.^.^.^(0)=õ

PrimateSphinx
#18 Posted : 12/13/2011 1:12:48 AM

The Rhythmic Dúnedain

oh 100 g. i misread... sorry about that, forget what i said about TIHKAL and shulgin. even doing 1 gram either smoked or pharma'd is pushing it I think. Do people actually take doses that exceed milligrams?

BananaForeskin
#19 Posted : 12/13/2011 1:23:36 AM

I Eat Plant Magic

PrimateSphinx wrote:
Do people actually take doses that exceed milligrams?

I think the answer is "Not more than once, if they even live to tell the tale."
¤ø¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø¸„ø¤º¨

.^.^.^.^.^.^(0)=õ

Parshvik Chintan
#20 Posted : 12/13/2011 1:52:24 AM

DMT-Nexus member

PrimateSphinx wrote:
Do people actually take doses that exceed milligrams?

just one person:
Charlie Sheen.
remember when he said he was on a drug called "charlie sheen"?
he was referring to a 1:1:1:1:1:1:1 blend of crystal meth, dmt, datura extract, crack cocaine, tiger blood, heroin, and ketamine (typically nasally insufflated at doses of 7g in one night, because that's just how he rolls)

CHANGA IN THE BONGA!

12NEXT