We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
P.Foenisecci's serotonin/5htp content as supplement? Options

cave paintings
#1 Posted : 12/12/2011 7:16:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Just a thought that crossed my mind recently. Setting aside the rehashed debate on its Psilocybin content, I was wondering what people's thoughts were on the feasibility of this mushroom as a 5htp supplement for the depressed or possibly for the potential of serotonin refueling after a serotonin-depleting experience such as that of MDMA or something along those lines. I read that excess 5htp is excreted by the body. I have friends who take 5htp after MDMA experiences, though I don't know of the legitimacy of it as an aid. Also, I don't know how much the levels of serotonin/5thp would really equate to versus the amount ones body normally produces and if it would really make a difference without having to eat enough to give one diarrhea.
Thoughts anyone?
Living to Give

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

joedirt
#2 Posted : 12/12/2011 11:38:55 PM

Not I

I believe it would actually work quite well.

Psilocin has some affinity for the reuptake channels and is thus reuptaken into the synaptic vessicles. Once there the body uses it just like it would use serotonin. When an active potential builds up enough it would be secreted into the cleft and would then illicit it's binding profile on the panel of 5HTP receptors on the post synaptic side of the cleft.

I know you said psilocin aside, but I'm of the opinion, based on science, the psilocin is actually a great antidepressant and could very well be used in micro to micro++ size doses the next day after MDMA. So to answer your question directly yes I think any shroom that has both serotonin analogs (which cross the BBB) and serotonin precursors is likely to be good for post MDMA depression. The trick will be getting the dose right.

I wrote a thread many a moon ago now on the shroomery about psilocins potential as an anti depressant. Since that time quite a lot of information has actually been published in this regard.

I myself used a .4-.5 gram micro dose (cubes) for a few weeks. Honestly the dose was a little to high for daily use IMHO. I was surprised at how little it took to feel the come on. But if one rolled on Saturday and then woke up Sunday and took 0.5 - 1.0 gram of cubensis shrooms and just relaxed the day away, I'd bet that buy Monday you'd feel perfectly normal...if not better. You would have to experiment on the shrooms you have to find the right balance...

Perhaps a very dilute mixture of shrooms and cappi leaf would be the ideal mix. Let us know what you find out!

Peace

If your religion, faith, devotion, or self proclaimed spirituality is not directly leading to an increase in kindness, empathy, compassion and tolerance for others then you have been misled.

cave paintings
#3 Posted : 12/14/2011 3:45:14 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I agree, psilocin probably would work as an excellent anti-depressant in micro doses after an MDMA session. I've definitely played with micro to macro doses with mushrooms and agree that .4-.5 grams would be too much daily, they definitely do go a long way sometimes.
As I said earlier, I suppose I am more interested in the 5htp and serotonin content at least in foenisecci because apparently that's the most you probably gonna get from it as opposed to a noticeable psilocybin content. That and they are so prevalent where I live.
As far as psilly containing mushrooms I've got my pan-subs and cubensis.
As far as micro-dosing goes though, the pan-subs would be ideal actually opposed to cubensis which are so strong. If one could get a good feel for the average content in ones batch, then microdosing with pan-subs could be ideal.
I think I will pick some p.foe though and experiment with supplementation after a roll or something like that.
Living to Give