We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV3456NEXT
psilocybin extraction/tincture tek Options

SKA
#81 Posted : 2/12/2013 12:41:37 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Bump*

I'll ask again, but simply:

What to do with a glass full of ethanol which has been soaking finely cut, fresh
mushrooms & filtered through a cotton filter?

Do I evaporate it down to obtain a crude smokable extract?
Could I change the PH of the ethanol so that the goodies will
precipitate out of solution? Or could I best do something else with it?

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

landfishd
#82 Posted : 2/12/2013 5:20:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

So I have a little ball of mushroom extract that, forgive the comparison, looks like black tar heroin. My friend gave it to me about a year ago and i still haven't tried it. I always thought that it must've been an alcohol extract but it seems like that would normally yield a white or green product right? She said it was some kind of cold water extraction but I didn't believe her and neither did she really.

Anyone have any idea what kind of extraction would yield a black ball? It was about the size of a jolly rancher and supposed to be equivalent to an oz of the mushies extracted

Pup Tentacle
#83 Posted : 2/12/2013 5:26:17 PM

lettuce

I did my extraction using methanol and came up with stuff resembling what your talking about.

From what I can tell from reading, I have a ball of: psilocybin, psilocin, and assorted sugars and starches. But no chitin! And that make my tummy happy. Smile
Pup Tentacle

You are precisely as big as what you love and precisely as small as what you allow to annoy you.
Robert Anton Wilson
Mushroom Greenhouse How-To
I'm no pro but I know a a few things - always willing to help with Psilocybe cubensis cultivation questions.

Pup Tentacle
#84 Posted : 2/12/2013 5:30:52 PM

lettuce

SKA wrote:
Bump*

I'll ask again, but simply:

What to do with a glass full of ethanol which has been soaking finely cut, fresh
mushrooms & filtered through a cotton filter?

Do I evaporate it down to obtain a crude smokable extract?
Could I change the PH of the ethanol so that the goodies will
precipitate out of solution? Or could I best do something else with it?

I know that getting FB psilicybin/psilocin is a tricky feat and FB is what you'd need to vape. The chemistry experts should weigh in on that. The first few pages of this thread explain some of those difficulties.

If it were me? I'd dry it out and eat it. Or even just drink it since it's ethanol. Maybe in a little OJ. That's a Psilly Screwdriver Smile
Pup Tentacle

You are precisely as big as what you love and precisely as small as what you allow to annoy you.
Robert Anton Wilson
Mushroom Greenhouse How-To
I'm no pro but I know a a few things - always willing to help with Psilocybe cubensis cultivation questions.

SKA
#85 Posted : 2/19/2013 3:34:49 PM
DMT-Nexus member

So anyone here who knows how to turn a crude mixture of Psilocyn/Psilocybin into FB?

Luuk
#86 Posted : 3/11/2013 4:28:36 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Throw some diluted ammonia on there?

SKA
#87 Posted : 3/12/2013 10:58:33 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Luuk wrote:

It's not Meth Razz Even if that DID work... I'd much
prefer not to use ammonia in anything I intend to smoalk.

So is there anyone here who would know how to turn an impure,
ethanolic psilocin/psilocybin extract of mushrooms into FB?
Someone said it was tricky to turn Psilocin into Freebase...
So how hard is it really? Can it be done using Kitchen chemistry?

Anyone? I can't believe making FB Psilocin from mushroom extracts
& smoalking that is as poorly explored as it is.

Kash
#88 Posted : 3/13/2013 1:18:36 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: Chemistry and Programming

Luuk wrote:

I dont know much about psilocybin, but this works freebasing many amine alkaloids, so it would probably work with psilocybin. Ammonia is really not all that evil SKA, as it is very volatile and evaporates cleanly. I know benzyme mentioned psilocybin has 4 pka's though, so not entirely sure.
--------------------------------------------------*Kash's LSA Extraction* * Kash's Mescaline Extraction*------------------------------------------------------
All things I say are complete and utter ramblings of nonsense. Do not consider taking anything iterated from the depths of my subconsciousness rationally and/or seriously.

benzyme
#89 Posted : 3/13/2013 4:17:17 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

SKA wrote:
Luuk wrote:

that sort of limited view of chemistry won't accomplish anything.
you won't convert psilocybin to a free base using sunshine and good karma.

people use lime in their DMT teks, which is also used to make cocaine base..but you don't tell them "it's not coke".
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

Shadowman-x
#90 Posted : 3/13/2013 5:05:54 AM

x-namwodahs

Senior Member | Skills: Relationship & emotional support/counselling

i've still always been of the opinion that the best low budget kitchen psilocin/cybin tek would be to do a warm 70% methanol extract that you evaporate under vacuum, then dissolve the resulting goo/xtals into water which you dilute with ethanol and put into a dropper vial, tincture styles.

Thumbs up
They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Infundibulum
#91 Posted : 3/13/2013 10:06:25 AM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

Shadowman-x wrote:
i've still always been of the opinion that the best low budget kitchen psilocin/cybin tek would be to do a warm 70% methanol extract that you evaporate under vacuum, then dissolve the resulting goo/xtals into water which you dilute with ethanol and put into a dropper vial, tincture styles.

Thumbs up

Yes, this is pretty much as far as one can go with psilocybin extraction in a kitchen environment....

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

Shadowman-x
#92 Posted : 3/13/2013 4:31:28 PM

x-namwodahs

Senior Member | Skills: Relationship & emotional support/counselling

Infundibulum wrote:
Shadowman-x wrote:

Thumbs up

Yes, this is pretty much as far as one can go with psilocybin extraction in a kitchen environment....

YEAH, now I have endorsement from Inf AND ben that this is the most reasonable way.
MY SCIENCE FU IS IMPROVING Love
They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

jamie
#93 Posted : 3/13/2013 5:53:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

nen has a different tek that seems to have worked for him for a product that was vaporizable.
Long live the unwoke.

SKA
#94 Posted : 3/14/2013 6:31:00 AM
DMT-Nexus member

benzyme wrote:
SKA wrote:
Luuk wrote:

that sort of limited view of chemistry won't accomplish anything.
you won't convert psilocybin to a free base using sunshine and good karma.

people use lime in their DMT teks, which is also used to make cocaine base..but you don't tell them "it's not coke".

Sorry, we don't all have extensive chemistry knowledge like you.
Being a chem noob I was just worried about potential residues of
ammonia in my final product. I thought since ammonia is known to
be rather agressive on the lungs I figured it'd be the sort of
thing you don't want mixed with something you intend to smoalk.

I'm concerned about my health & I know very little of chemistry.
If I could use lime to freebase 4-HO-DMT I'd prefer that as it
would be safer to evaporate & inhale than ammonia I intuited...

And why so cynical? My "meth"-remark was dumb but innocent.
You seem agitated while I'm just trying to learn.
Do I strike you as someone who thinks karma & sunlight will do
the trick? Rather a condescending & uncalled for thing to say.Wut?

So could lime freebase Psilocin? And if this can be done safely with Ammonia, how?
I would very much like to smoalk freebase 4-HO-DMT.

Luuk
#95 Posted : 3/15/2013 3:00:40 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I don't know if either of the two will simply work because of the multiple pKa's of psilocybin, you could need a specific pH. Maybe someone else can chime in? However they both work for freebasing alkaloids. Ammonia is volatile so all unreacted ammonia will vaporize, it is easy to check if all ammonia is gone because of it's strong smell. Lime will not vaporize, so if you use lime you need to dry your freebased extract and then pull the freebase psilocybin with a solvent ( I guess all alcohols would work?). Because psilocybin is rather unstable I would avoid very high pH. This is why when using ammonia I would dilute it enough.

Does anyone know something about required/recommended pH values for freebasing psilocybin?

Infundibulum
#96 Posted : 3/15/2013 3:38:31 PM

ModeratorChemical expert

Luuk wrote:
Does anyone know something about required/recommended pH values for freebasing psilocybin?

Psilocybin cannot exactly be "freebased", but its isoelectric point i.e. the pH where the molecule has an overall neutral charge (which is the closest you can get to the definition of "freebase" was calculated to around pH=4 by Benzyme.

Psilocin can be freebased at basic pH values, but prolonged exposure to pH more than 9 will degrade psilocin. And you need a pH of at least 10 to have ~97% of psilocin freebased. And the more you're evaporating a basic solution with freebased psilocin the more the pH will be rising (as the concentration of base will be increasing relative to the evaporating water) further promoting degradation of psilocin. On top of that, in dried mushrooms samples psilocin is almost non-existent, so you have to devise an efficient way of dephosphorylating psilocybin to psilocin AND as well monitor the conversion before you go on to the freebasing step....

All in all, the path to freebase psilocin is thorny to say the least. I'd be very interested to hear, as jamie said how nen did it and what the experience of vaporising FB psilocin was like.

Mr.Peabody
#97 Posted : 3/15/2013 3:59:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I thought that psilocybin was converted to psilocin upon crossing the blood-brain barrier, anyway. Is that outdated information?

If it's true, is there something standing in the way of smoking psilocybin? It seems like a more likely candidate due to its stability.
Be an adult only when necessary.

Mindlusion
#98 Posted : 3/15/2013 4:18:29 PM

Chairman of the Celestial Divison

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

psilocybin is dephosphorylated through hydrolysis, which occurs much faster at low pH, like in your stomach.

I attempted to vaporize a methanolic mushroom extract before, It was certainly active, but i also felt it was wasteful, so I did not pursue it, and I continued to eat the rest of it instead.

Definitely something worth pursuing, but as others have stated its not as simple as "FB PSILOCIN"
Expect nothing, Receive everything.
"Experiment and extrapolation is the only means the organic chemists (humans) currrently have - in contrast to "God" (and possibly R. B. Woodward). "
He alone sees truly who sees the Absolute the same in every creature...seeing the same Absolute everywhere, he does not harm himself or others. - The Bhagavad Gita
"The most beautiful thing we can experience, is the mysterious. The source of all true art and science."

Infundibulum
#99 Posted : 3/15/2013 4:45:19 PM

ModeratorChemical expert

Mr.Peabody wrote:
I thought that psilocybin was converted to psilocin upon crossing the blood-brain barrier, anyway. Is that outdated information?

If it's true, is there something standing in the way of smoking psilocybin? It seems like a more likely candidate due to its stability.

Dephosphorylation of psilocybin is required for the resulting psilocin to cross the blood-brain-barrier and exert its effects in teh mind. Dephosphorylation happens somewhere in body, which can be the stomach with its low pH as Mindlusion said and/or other places, maybe liver? blood? etc.

So it is wrong to think that by smoking psilocybin you can get psilocin effects. Our knowledge so far points that one needs to smoke FB psilocin for effects.

Mindlusion wrote:
psilocybin is dephosphorylated through hydrolysis, which occurs much faster at low pH, like in your stomach.

Yes, acid seems to be a crucial catalyst for the dephosphorylation. I once tried to extract psilocin from the psilocybin-high containing p.semilanceatas adding a dephosphorylation step as per the usual method (soak the dried mushroom mass in water making sure final pH is adjusted to 4 using acetic acid, let in room temperature 1h, then heat up at 70 C for 10min, chilled and filter out the pieces) but I got nothing after the basifying @ pH=9 and pulling with dcm...

We should not forget that it is still debatable whether psilocybin dephosphorylation is caused by low pH alone and/or whether mushroom enzymes play an important part in the process. Is there anyone that has demonstrated that pure psilocybin (not aqueous mushroom extract) can dephosphorylate by acid alone?

Mindlusion
#100 Posted : 3/15/2013 4:55:13 PM

Chairman of the Celestial Divison

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

Infundibulum wrote:

We should not forget that it is still debatable whether psilocybin dephosphorylation is caused by low pH alone and/or whether mushroom enzymes play an important part in the process. Is there anyone that has demonstrated that pure psilocybin (not aqueous mushroom extract) can dephosphorylate by acid alone?

This is an extremely good question. This needs to be explored.

Endlessness has had the opportunity to run these kind of experiments with a mass spec in the the past..

Whoever is doing spectro analysis at this time should have this on their list. Something is going on that we are unaware of
Expect nothing, Receive everything.
"Experiment and extrapolation is the only means the organic chemists (humans) currrently have - in contrast to "God" (and possibly R. B. Woodward). "
He alone sees truly who sees the Absolute the same in every creature...seeing the same Absolute everywhere, he does not harm himself or others. - The Bhagavad Gita
"The most beautiful thing we can experience, is the mysterious. The source of all true art and science."

«PREV3456NEXT