We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Virola resin Options

ambiguos
#1 Posted : 3/4/2007 6:17:12 AM
DMT-Nexus member

SWIM was looking at a vendor site and saw virola resin. It claims to contain 8% tryptamine content both DMT and 5-Meo-DMT. I was just wondering what everyones ideas were on extracting this. It is pretty cheap and if the claims were true you could do extractions with smaller quantities and get a stronger extract since it contains the stonger 5-Meo. let me know what you think.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Doerak
#2 Posted : 3/4/2007 11:06:24 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Nice find! From Wikipedia [quote:c22e4b9a59]Virola, also known as Epená, is a genus of medium-sized trees native to the South American rainforest and closely related to other Myristicaceae, such as nutmeg. It has glossy, dark leaves with clusters of tiny yellow flowers and emits a pungent odor. The dark-red resin of the tree bark contains several hallucinogenic alkaloids, most notably 5-MeO-DMT(Virola calophylla) or N,N-DMT, perhaps the most "powerful" member of the Dimethyltryptamine family; it also contains beta-carboline harmala alkaloids, MAOIs that greatly potentiate the effects of DMT. The bark resin is prepared and dried by a variety of methods, often including the addition of ash or lime, presumably as basifying agents, and a powder made from the leaves of the small Justicia bush. Ingestion is similar to that of Yopo, consisting of assisted insufflation, with the snuff being blown through a long tube into the nostrils by an assistant. According to Schultes, the use of Virola in magico-religious rituals is restricted to tribes in the Western Amazon Basin and parts of the Orinoco Basin.[/quote:c22e4b9a59] It seems the resin also contains harmala alkaloids (harmine), which is often used as an MAO-inhibitor (e.g. Peganum Harmala). I don't see why it would be impossible to extract the DMT out of this resin. I don't know if harmine dissolves in a non-polar solvent. If so, you might end up with a DMT-MAOI freebase...? Would be very interesting Smile

ambiguos
#3 Posted : 3/5/2007 3:53:03 AM
DMT-Nexus member

do you think an A/B would be necessary or could you just dissolve the resin in with base solution and extract with naptha or what I like to use is Snap brand starting fluid, it is 65% heptane and 35% diethyl ether with some antioxidant that the MSDS (materials safety data sheet) says is nontoxic and carbon dioxide as a propellant , I like to let the ether evap off and then use it so it's just pure heptane. if the resin would work I think it could possibly be the quickest substance to extract. I would like to here what Quantumbrujo thinks about this idea

quantumbrujo
#4 Posted : 3/5/2007 6:45:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I don't think the acid phase would be necessary either.I never extracted virola resin or virola bark,but it would seem logical just to basify and extract like Ambiguos suggested.you would most likely need much smaller doses than pure spice because of the 5-MEO and the beta-carbolines,and the trip would likely (if smoked) be longer than pure DMT.If there are enough beta-carbolines in the mix to make it orally active it could then be put into capsules and used as an ayahuasca analog. pillohuasca perhaps? By the way Ambiguos does Snap brand starting fluid evap clean?Cause I've tried Kleen-Flo brand,and when evapped it leaves quite a bit of an oily residue.
I tried to say no to drugs but they wouldn't listen

ambiguos
#5 Posted : 3/5/2007 7:11:36 PM
DMT-Nexus member

100% clean evap, it puts off a really strong smell at first when the ether is evaping but then the smell factor drops off and it leaves no residue, also it's only like $2 for a 500ml can. I didn't have a pvc pipe to spray it through so I just use a bic pen tube. but make sure you are in a well ventilated area with no source of ignition because not only will the fumes give you a headache but you could also blow yourself up.

ambiguos
#6 Posted : 3/9/2007 4:00:29 AM
DMT-Nexus member

hey Quantumbrujo do you think that not doing a defat would be an issue? I just think that there might be alot of plant fats in the resin. but I did get this interesting bit of information. "A few plants produce resins with different compositions, most notably Jeffrey Pine and Gray Pine, the volatile components of which are largely pure n-heptane with little or no terpenes. The exceptional purity of the n-heptane distilled from Jeffrey Pine resin, unmixed with other isomers of heptane, led to its being used as the defining zero point on the octane rating scale of petrol quality. Because heptane is highly flammable, distillation of resins containing it is very dangerous. Some resin distilleries in California exploded because they mistook Jeffrey Pine for the similar but terpene-producing Ponderosa Pine. At the time the two pines were considered to be the same species of pine; they were only classified as separate species in 1853."(Wikipedia) I have heard people talking about natural sources for a non-polar solvent. I just thought it might be of interest.

Pineal Flow
#7 Posted : 7/6/2007 4:15:48 PM
DMT-Nexus member

i have had virola theidora bark for some time. this was just for fun: at one point it was ground to powder and (being that i have no knowledge of chemistry or chems to play with) was soaked in 151 proof ethanol in the freezer and shaken three times daily. in the end the liquid was strained and then evaporated down to a gummy tar. then the tar was smeared across a caapi leaf and it was balled up into a little nugget. then i proceeded to smoke it Shocked which resulted in a pineal buzzing, but nothing more. similar to the beggining stages of a mushroom trip but with no lift-off, if that makes any sence. so my question is, is there any efficent way to pull alkaloids from this bark using straight ethanol? thanks much -pineal
One time for ya mind