We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Help Identifying Cacti Options

LetSoulsDevour
#1 Posted : 12/9/2011 2:49:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Greetings, I'm growing a couple of pachanoi, peruvianus and williamsi at home. They range from 6 months to 3 months and
they're doing pretty well I think. Anyway I was in my local florist shop today and found some cacti. I 2 different kinds,
I believe one is trichocecerus and the other is lophophora, but which of them I don't know so I thought I might ask
you guys!

Here are the pictures:
LetSoulsDevour attached the following image(s):
photo.JPG (1,660kb) downloaded 51 time(s).
photo(1).JPG (1,830kb) downloaded 50 time(s).

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

dg
#2 Posted : 12/9/2011 2:51:53 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Cacti expert

yes, #1 is tricho
#2 is not a loph

LetSoulsDevour
#3 Posted : 12/9/2011 3:00:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

dg wrote:
yes, #1 is tricho
#2 is not a loph

thank you for that Smile do you have any idea which of the many trico species it is?
and what about the #2, what kind of cactus is it?

AlbertKLloyd
#4 Posted : 12/9/2011 3:04:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

it looks like a bridgesii, but might be a type of peruvianus, they can be tricky to tell apart when young.

LetSoulsDevour
#5 Posted : 12/9/2011 3:24:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

AlbertKLloyd wrote:
it looks like a bridgesii, but might be a type of peruvianus, they can be tricky to tell apart when young.

Oh I see! How is the easiest way to separate them from each other, re-plant them each in their own pot without hurting the roots?

LetSoulsDevour
#6 Posted : 12/9/2011 4:01:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Or should I just let them grow like that together? Will it work in the long when they get bigger? There is 4 of them growing tightly together. And I also have one more which is 4 growing together with one more right in the middle. (Five on a dice)

Parshvik Chintan
#7 Posted : 12/9/2011 9:10:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

LetSoulsDevour wrote:
Or should I just let them grow like that together? Will it work in the long when they get bigger? There is 4 of them growing tightly together. And I also have one more which is 4 growing together with one more right in the middle. (Five on a dice)

i personally would separate just because it is easier to do when they are younger (smaller roots), and it helps prevent them from poking each other with their spines; leaving nasty marks.
plus it would appear that your pot is doesn't have all that much room left.

LetSoulsDevour wrote:
How is the easiest way to separate them from each other, re-plant them each in their own pot without hurting the roots?

what i have done that worked for me is
>wait for the soil to become mostly dry (so it will crumble apart more easily
>you wrap a paper towel around the cacti (so you can grab them around the spines)
>turn the pot upside down in such a manner that the cacti will slide out guided/aided buy your hand(s)
then you just carefully separate the roots as best you can, and re-pot them.

My wind instrument is the bong
CHANGA IN THE BONGA!