We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
Carlos Castaneda/Toltec Way: Who has walked this path? Options

SpartanII
#1 Posted : 12/5/2011 3:05:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Has anyone actually applied these teachings to their life in a structured way?

I have a book called The Teachings of Don Carlos: Practical Applications of the works of Carlos Castaneda and there are many techniques and applications but they are not structured as a workbook and it's difficult to know how and when to apply them to my daily life.

I know that Castaneda's books may be fiction, or a blend of fiction and non-fiction, and this thread is not intended to debate them, but to me it doesn't matter, as they are in line with my beliefs and many spiritual/metaphysical paths, as well as my personal experiences, so I intuitively know that they work.

I just need a system or structure for practical application and preferably guidance from someone who has experience with the teachings. OR does anyone know any good books that deal with the practical application of the teachings besides the one I mentioned?

Techniques include:

-Not-doings
-Saving/redeployment of energy/personal power
-The Assemblage Point
-Stalking
-Dreaming
-Recapitulation
-Death as an adviser
-Sorcery techniques
-de-structuring of the ego
-exercises in attention and perception
-The 4 agreements from Don Miguel Ruiz:
(Don't take anything personally
(Be Impeccable With Your Word
(Don't Make Assumptions
(Always Do Your Best

-MANY more

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

jamie
#2 Posted : 12/5/2011 5:20:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

castaneda wrote some interesting stuff, but in the end I think he made it all up. Later in life he seemed more like a manipulative ego freak who apparently drove a woman to suicide..he seemed to have manipulated all of these people around him into this weird cult-like circle.

I bought the books, read them..found them interesting but what he became later was just odd..I guess some of the techniques in the book might be useful..who know how much of it he just made up though.

I dont think there was ever any Don Juan..At best there was probably a bunch of different people who all became Don Juan..but with the whole psilocybe mushroom smoking mix thing and other things in the books I dont know what to believe..

Durring times when he was apparently with Don Juan he was also reported to be in the university readiong books.

Wasn't too big on his whole thing where he tortured lizards for divination either, sewing up their eyelids while alive etc...

Some people like Castanede though..I dunno it's alot of hype..alot of fans I guess..Castaneda is very cliche though I think nby this point. There is far better works out there. Read "Wizard of the Upper Amazon" if you want to read abotu someone who actaully lived that kind of life.

Anyway, Im not debating his work based on it's fictional quality. There is some stuff there in his work that is useful..I guess I just dont see what is THAT attractive about all of it. I was more drawn to other authors/people etc.
Long live the unwoke.

Ez
#3 Posted : 12/5/2011 6:27:23 PM

"Love is the medicine."

I got to book seven and am taking a break. I agree that some of the things he talks about can be very useful, but some of it just seems difficult to fathom. One lesson that I have taken to heart is keeping death as an advisor. This helps me to look at things with a much clearer perspective. I think that recapitulation is an effective tool as well and that I have had to do something similar to this, but not quite as described in the books. I imagine that the journey's that I have been on have been huge in the restructuring of my ego as well. Not doing has been difficult to integrate into my life.
(¯`'·.¸(♥)¸.·'´¯Pleased But suddenly you're ripped into being alive. And life is pain, and life is suffering, and life is horror, but my god you are alive and it is spectacular!

Doodazzle
#4 Posted : 12/6/2011 12:16:54 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I read all of Castanadeas books. Got into them at a young age, re-read them over the years.

The Teachings of Don Carlos focusses more on the pragmatical applications, which CC doled out over the course of ten books. There are some rather excellent excercises put together in that book.

There seems to be other individuals or groups out there publishing materials, leading workshops based on CC's work...Tensegrity Institute. They never seemed to offer anything that appealed to me. Didn't get too in depth with them, so I can't give any type of review positive or negative, just a personal vibe. Who knows, perhaps theay are spot on.

Quote:
I just need a system or structure for practical application and preferably guidance from someone who has experience with the teachings

The Teachings of Don Carlos provides a whole lot of structure and application of the material presented in Carlos's books. If it is Carlos's work you wish to see applied and structured, bam, you got it. Er, if you want to have the Teachings of Don Carlos itself then further refined and structured for you then--well, I hope that is not what your asking for.

The Teachings of Don Carlos, is a blessing to anyone who wishes to see any lucidity from Carlos's surreal world of Qliffoth-like allies, enigmantic sorcerers, interdimensional terrors and profound like mysterious stuff.
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods." Albert Einstein

I appreciate your perspective.

SpartanII
#5 Posted : 12/6/2011 4:27:40 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Jamie-

I understand you have a different opinion on CC, but this isn't what the thread is about, and I already stated that I'm well aware that they may be fiction and that it doesn't matter, because they flow well with me and I know that the individual techniques work. Of the philosophies/paths I've researched, the Toltec/Warriors Way seems the most pragmatic yet darkly mystical of them all, and CC's books have had the most impact on me. I really enjoy them.Smile

Ez-

Death as an adviser is indeed a powerful technique. I've used it before with excellent results too.Very happy

Bedazzle-

The Teachings of Don Carlos is a great and useful book, but it's more of a spattering of practical applications and doesn't really guide you along or tell you how and when to apply the techniques. I was hoping more for a step-by-step workbook.Sad

nen888
#6 Posted : 12/6/2011 11:39:10 AM
member for the trees

Acacia expert | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingSenior Member | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, Counselling

..here is a relevant thread: https://www.dmt-nexus.me/forum/d...spx?g=posts&m=258497..it has a full spectrum of opinions..

whatever the truth of the man and his life, i find the technique of 'Recapitulation' very helpful for clearing the mind of unconscious filters of more direct
perception..a few people i know, of any of his ideas, just use this technique..

SpartanII
#7 Posted : 12/6/2011 1:58:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

nen888-

Thanks for linking that thread. I'll be ordering "Castaneda's Journey" that someone recommended.

Jamie-

I forgot to tell you thanks for recommending "Wizard of the Upper Amazon" as I definitely plan on reading it. Very happy

SpartanII
#8 Posted : 12/6/2011 2:09:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Someone in that thread mentioned that Castaneda got the last laugh, but I disagree because not only did his work inspire so many people to walk a spiritual/mystic path and work with lucid dreaming, his books brought Toltec teachings into the light, and many books have been written on the philosophy which does have practical as well as esoteric teachings that actually do work.

Unfortunately, the people who took it all too seriously may have been hurt, but if they would have kept their wits about them and actually applied the principles correctly, the de-structuring of their egos may not have been so devastating.

Doodazzle
#9 Posted : 12/6/2011 2:15:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Spartan. First off all, thank you for starting and keeping this discussion on track. For my part, I am trying to simply not even acknowlege irrevelevancies.

Quote:

The Teachings of Don Carlos is a great and useful book, but it's more of a spattering of practical applications and doesn't really guide you along or tell you how and when to apply the techniques. I was hoping more for a step-by-step workbook.

How many of Carlos's books have you read? How many years have you spent with them?

That's what I was trying to get at in my last post--after having spent a decade on CC's works, it was quite impressive to see his work so neatly boiled down, removed of inessentials, phatasmagoria and tomfollery. You want it broken down even further? Man, when I was a kid we had to wade through twelve miles of stem cell porridge, barefoot, just to get one orderly sentence about practices such as stalking and dreaming--and it was uphill both ways! Far as I know, no such step by step guidance exists.

I wonder, are you asking too much? Perhaps it would spoil it all for me, to make sense of it. There are plenty of orderly teachings out there. Like when They try and put structure atop the Cthuluhu Mythos. Man, that stuff is supposed to be chaotic, any attempts to get it all in a straight line and conform to traditional models will disappoint. I could be way off base on this one, just a feeling, that's all.

"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods." Albert Einstein

I appreciate your perspective.

SpartanII
#10 Posted : 12/6/2011 2:32:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Bedazzle wrote:
Spartan. First off all, thank you for starting and keeping this discussion on track. For my part, I am trying to simply not even acknowlege irrevelevancies.

Your welcome. Smile

Quote:
How many of Carlos's books have you read? How many years have you spent with them?

I've spent a few years on them. I've read them all, some twice, except for Magical Passes, as I feel more comfortable putting my energy into an authentic tradition like QiGong (which is an AMAZING inner martial art BTW).

Quote:
That's what I was trying to get at in my last post--after having spent a decade on CC's works, it was quite impressive to see his work so neatly boiled down, removed of inessentials, phatasmagoria and tomfollery. You want it broken down even further? Man, when I was a kid we had to wade through twelve miles of stem cell porridge, barefoot, just to get one orderly sentence about practices such as stalking and dreaming--and it was uphill both ways! Far as I know, no such step by step guidance exists.

I hear you, and you're right, it effectively distills the essence of the teachings, but it's not that I need it broken down further, just a more guided way. Like a workbook where you spend a certain amount of time on certain basic techniques during the first week, then more advanced ones the second week, and so on in a progressive, step-by-step fashion.

I keep a journal that includes affirmations, meditations, dream-working, Not-Doings, etc. and it would be nice if it provided some type of system where you could photocopy interactive, progressive techniques, incorporating them into your personal journal, or something like that. Smile

polytrip
#11 Posted : 12/6/2011 4:50:34 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Location: A speck of dust in endless space, like everyone else.
I remember having read a book of him, where he takes datura. Later on don-juan encourages him to throw rocks at a person who´s probably a datura-hallucination...but with the intention of killing this person.

I have not followed that path. Also because where i live, that kind of behaviour may get you in trouble with the law.

I remember it was a nice read though.

Rising Spirit
#12 Posted : 12/6/2011 7:16:41 PM

'Tis A Looooooong Wind Blowing Cosmic Dust

jamie wrote:
Some people like Castanede though..I dunno it's alot of hype..alot of fans I guess..Castaneda is very cliche though I think nby this point. There is far better works out there. Read "Wizard of the Upper Amazon" if you want to read abotu someone who actaully lived that kind of life.

I have personally gained quite a bit of insight from the writings of Carlos Castaneda. I neither view him as a sage or a guru (or even as a traditional shaman). He was a unique man who had a profound message to deliver and he arguably, has transformed thousands of lives with his writings. Of course, I can only speak for myself and some dear friends, who have gained great inspiration and guidance from these teachings.

I disagree that Carlos' books are "cliche", as he initially set the trend for this entire genre, nearly 40 years ago. A wise soul gleans what is valuable... and leaves what is inapplicable for their own lives, along the road towards self discovery and the vast realm of the unknown.

I am halfway through the first book, which I first read in 1977. I usually re-read these books every decade or so. This makes my fourth round through them. I still find new insights, with each re-visiting. Granted, my way is more leaning towards Advaita, Zen and Taoism... but knowledge can be found in many places.

don Juan wrote:
For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse it's full length. And there I travel, looking, looking breathlessly.

BTW, I do agree about the poor little lizards with sewn-up eyes or mouth. "OUCH!!!" I sure hope none of us have to got through something like that... for an others acquisition of secret knowledge, expanded attention or even "enlightenment".

I also recommend, WIZARD OF THE UPPER NILE. Authentically written and most fascinating. Cool
There is no self to which I cling, for I am one with everything.

SpartanII
#13 Posted : 12/7/2011 2:39:30 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thank you for the replies everyone.

polytrip wrote:
I have not followed that path. Also because where i live, that kind of behaviour may get you in trouble with the law.

What I mean by following that path has less to do with the stories, and more with the Toltec/Warrior philosophy upon which the stories are founded.

Rising Spirit wrote:
I am halfway through the first book, which I first read in 1977. I usually re-read these books every decade or so. This makes my fourth round through them. I still find new insights, with each re-visiting.

Isn't that amazing? There is definitely something special about those books. Maybe they are "power objects" imbued with so much energy that reading them literally connects you to The Unknown...Very happy

polytrip
#14 Posted : 12/7/2011 3:09:49 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Location: A speck of dust in endless space, like everyone else.
SpartanII wrote:
Thank you for the replies everyone.

polytrip wrote:

What I mean by following that path has less to do with the stories, and more with the Toltec/Warrior philosophy upon which the stories are founded.

Well, i was just joking. I meant, like jamie, that i´ve read these stories as interesting fiction. Sure, there´s stuff you can extract from it, but that´s true for many good fiction.

AlbertKLloyd
#15 Posted : 12/9/2011 3:14:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

If they are known to be fiction, why assume that the methods or philosophy is Toltec?
It is Carlos...
I used to have a DVD of the Passes... very interesting stuff.

Ever wonder why his work appeals primarily to women?
i do, but have not figured it out yet...

I know a man who swears by it all, says that it is all true. Also very interesting to talk to, doesn't enjoy reason or making sense with sentences, seems to think that being aloof is wise...
I have yet to meet someone who seems bettered by the material, as in turned their life around. I recall it being popular (Carlos and his teachings) with a lot of the Meth heads around here.

SpartanII
#16 Posted : 12/9/2011 4:39:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

AlbertKLloyd wrote:
If they are known to be fiction, why assume that the methods or philosophy is Toltec?

Quote:
I have yet to meet someone who seems bettered by the material, as in turned their life around. I recall it being popular (Carlos and his teachings) with a lot of the Meth heads around here.

Whatever it is, it works, and has helped me out a lot.

And I've never touched meth. Yuck.Shocked

SpartanII
#17 Posted : 12/9/2011 4:52:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm copy and pasting the Carlos Castaneda quotes that I posted in the Anger and Frustration thread, so that anyone interested may find it useful. Enjoy!Smile

"Self-importance is our greatest enemy. Think about it- what weakens us is feeling offended by the deeds and misdeeds of our fellow men. Our self-importance requires that we spend most of our lives offended by someone."

“He (Don Juan) said that a warrior had no compassion for anyone . For him, to have compassion meant that you wished the other person to be like you, to be in your shoes, and you lent a hand for that purpose. The hardest thing in the world is for a warrior to let others be. Only a sorcerer who sees and is formless can afford to help anyone——to his understanding every effort to help on our part was an arbitrary act guided by our self interest alone.”

"The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is
that a warrior takes everything as a challenge, while an ordinary
man takes everything as a blessing or as a curse."

"You on the other hand, feel that you are immortal, and the decisions of an immortal man can be cancelled or regretted or doubted. In a world where death is the hunter, my friend, there is not time for regrets or doubts. There is only time for decisions.

When you get angry you always feel righteous. You have been complaining all your life because you don't assume responsibility for your decisions. To assume the responsibility of one's decisions means that one is ready to die for them. It doesn't matter what the decision is. Nothing could be more or less serious than anything else. In a world where death is the hunter there are no small or big decisions. There are only decisions that we make in the face of our inevitable death."

"The hardest thing in the world is to assume the mood of a
warrior. It is of no use to be sad and complain and feel justified
in doing so, believing that someone is always doing something to us.
Nobody is doing anything to anybody, much less to a warrior."

- Don Juan/Carlos Castaneda

SpartanII
#18 Posted : 12/9/2011 4:55:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Here are some more that I thought go well with the DMT experience:

"A man goes to knowledge as he goes to war: wide-awake, with fear, with respect, and with absolute assurance. Going to knowledge or going to war in any other manner is a mistake, and whoever makes it might never live to regret it."

“We are men and our lot in life is to learn and to be hurled into inconceivable new worlds.”

“A warrior must learn to make every act count, since he is going to be here in this world for only a short while, in fact, too short for witnessing all the marvels of it.”

“The aim is to balance the terror of being alive with the wonder of being alive.”

“To seek freedom is the only driving force I know. Freedom to fly off into that infinity out there. Freedom to dissolve; to lift off; to be like the flame of a candle, which, in spite of being up against the light of a billion stars, remains intact, because it never pretended to be more than what it is: a mere candle.”

“Death is the only wise advisor that we have. Whenever you feel, as you always do, that everything is going wrong and you're about to be annihilated, turn to your death and ask if that is so. Your death will tell you that you're wrong; that nothing really matters outside its touch. Your death will tell you, 'I haven't touched you yet.”

SpartanII
#19 Posted : 6/29/2012 8:26:20 AM

DMT-Nexus member

BUMP.

"Who has walked this path?" Or applied any of the teachings/techniques from Castaneda or other Toltec teachers?

By the way, this is not a debate thread.

For that go here: https://www.dmt-nexus.me...aspx?g=posts&t=33280

Thanks!Thumbs up

Eliyahu
#20 Posted : 6/29/2012 6:53:29 PM
סנדלפון

Hola! SpartanII

I have walked the path for 20+ years..

I have read each one of his books 5 or more times...

I have applied many of the techniques to my life in practical ways

I guess i'm a little hung up on what you mean by practical?

I have had the great honor of meeting "Don Jun" (his true identity remains hidden)while traveling in the spirit world more than once, (yes it's possible.)

care to elaborate on why your having a difficult time applying these techniques to your day to day life?

And why do you look at the speck in your brother's eye, but do not percieve the plank in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, "brother let me remove the speck from your eye", when you yourself do not see the plank that is in your own eye?-Yeshua ben Yoseph

12NEXT