We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Positive article on psychedelics in the LA Times- turn on, tune in and get better? Options

universecannon
#1 Posted : 11/30/2011 8:40:05 PM

Moderator | Skills: harmalas, melatonin, trip advice, lucid dreaming

http://www.latimes.com/h...-20111130,0,969113.story

just basic stuff, but still good to see Smile

<Ringworm>hehehe, it's all fun and games till someone loses an "I"

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

obliguhl
#2 Posted : 11/30/2011 9:39:51 PM

DMT-Nexus member

That article is far from basic. It is amazing. We all have to thanks Mrs Healy for writing that!

Hyperspace Fool
#3 Posted : 11/30/2011 9:55:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Any article quoting Rick Doblin and MAPS is a good sign.
"Curiouser and curiouser..." ~ Alice

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it." ~ Buddha

universecannon
#4 Posted : 11/30/2011 10:49:32 PM

Moderator | Skills: harmalas, melatonin, trip advice, lucid dreaming

yup!

obli - yeah i agree, it was an amazing article! by basic i meant that i'd heard all that research mentioned before. I actually wrote that before realizing there was a second page though.. ^ _ ^ woops

<Ringworm>hehehe, it's all fun and games till someone loses an "I"

SpartanII
#5 Posted : 12/1/2011 1:42:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Good stuff. However, I didn't like how they worded this part:

"Psilocybin's effect on the brain can be described, if not explained. It increases the activity of serotonin, a chemical that affects mood. Brain networks associated with emotions are highly active in the presence of psilocybin, as are structures involved in higher reasoning and judgment, MRI scans show."

Doesn't this imply that it's just the serotonin that produced the effect? Obviously there's more to it than that.Laughing

tryptographer
#6 Posted : 12/1/2011 6:13:21 PM

tryptamine photographer

Yeah that's an ugly little paragraph, but of course the overall article is like a fresh breeze in this desert of disinformation in mainstream media. Thanks for the moodlifter Universecannon!

a1pha
#7 Posted : 12/1/2011 6:56:21 PM

Moderator | Skills: Master hacker!

Go Charlie & UCLA!
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." -A.Huxley

Mitakuye Oyasin
#8 Posted : 12/2/2011 1:34:14 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Front Page of the LA TImes no less! This is great news. AFOAF is producing a documentary on this subject and has interviewed everyone mentioned in the article. Working title is "The Medicine - Science & Psychedelics" and should be out next year. Great to see the mainstreaming of scientific interest and benefits of these substances.
Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous.
— Terence McKenna

All my posts are hypothetical and for educational/entertainment purposes, and are not an endorsement of said activities. SWIM (a fictional character based on other people) either obtained a license for said activity, did said activity where it is legal to do so, or as in most cases the activity is completely fictional.

oden
#9 Posted : 12/2/2011 2:10:15 AM

odin the one

Uni.. thank you so very much for taking the time to post this..we need more of this type it givs hope...nice to see what can happen when the light is truly shined!!! keep up the good work..peace and much respect<3 Oden

Parshvik Chintan
#10 Posted : 12/2/2011 10:08:42 AM

DMT-Nexus member

too bad bill hicks isn't around to see it Razz
My wind instrument is the bong
CHANGA IN THE BONGA!

benzyme
#11 Posted : 12/2/2011 1:52:08 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

SpartanII wrote:
Good stuff. However, I didn't like how they worded this part:

"Psilocybin's effect on the brain can be described, if not explained. It increases the activity of serotonin, a chemical that affects mood. Brain networks associated with emotions are highly active in the presence of psilocybin, as are structures involved in higher reasoning and judgment, MRI scans show."

Doesn't this imply that it's just the serotonin that produced the effect? Obviously there's more to it than that.Laughing

yea

it actually doesn't increase the activity of serotonin, instead, it competitively binds to receptors, eliciting signal transduction as a ligand which mimics serotonin (but isn't serotonin).

c'mon, "doctor"...you can explain it better than that Laughing
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

AluminumFoilRobots
#12 Posted : 12/3/2011 6:42:23 PM

gufyg

Parshvik Chintan wrote:
too bad bill hicks isn't around to see it Razz

qft
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

Fairly responsible Kratom user.

"whenever he drank ayahuasca, he had such beautiful visions that he used to put his hands over his eyes for fear somebody might steal them."
in between the grinding-brakes of a train crash while aluminum-foil robots make obnoxious sex noises on a static-filled walkie-talkie radio.

corpus callosum
#13 Posted : 12/3/2011 11:42:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Medical DoctorModerator

This is good stuff.It confirms that steps are definitely being taken in the right direction, and as we all here know, a rational and unbiased analysis of these agents will support their worth and use.To people like us, this is old news, but is encouraging to see the word being spread further.Very happy
I am paranoid of my brain. It thinks all the time, even when I'm asleep. My thoughts assail me. Murderous lechers they are. Thought is the assassin of thought. Like a man stabbing himself with one hand while the other hand tries to stop the blade. Like an explosion that destroys the detonator. I am paranoid of my brain. It makes me unsettled and ill at ease. Makes me chase my tail, freezes my eyes and shuts me down. Watches me. Eats my head. It destroys me.

AluminumFoilRobots
#14 Posted : 12/4/2011 3:26:53 PM

gufyg

Quote:
To people like us, this is old news, but is encouraging to see the word being spread further.

Yeah, when posting on da nexus, it's easy to forget that we are a TINY minority of the population who have this obsession with this particular indole... even among my psychedelic-using comrades, I am the only one with a monomaniacal interest in n,n-dmt...
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

Fairly responsible Kratom user.

"whenever he drank ayahuasca, he had such beautiful visions that he used to put his hands over his eyes for fear somebody might steal them."
in between the grinding-brakes of a train crash while aluminum-foil robots make obnoxious sex noises on a static-filled walkie-talkie radio.