We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV12
Oregano Extract Anyone? Options

WEM
#21 Posted : 9/10/2012 1:26:54 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Basically what Oilman's method will create is a tincture of oregano, I recommend filling up a mason jar only about halfway with dried oregano (allowing room for it to expand) and then to the bottom of the threads with 80-100 proof vodka. You can even allow the dried oregano (or any dried herb you want tinctured really) to steep for pretty much as long as you feel needed (I'm currently steeping blue skullcap for 6 weeks to make tincture), then simply strain out the plant matter and squeeze it dry through a cheesecloth. I would try that batch first by diluting only a dropper full (maybe .5-2ml worth?) into a glass of water, as you have no clue how potent it will be that first time you try your tincture.
A dramatic shift approaches...

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Ilex
#22 Posted : 1/12/2013 11:54:22 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey wingchun, does the original article you posted describe how they obtained their extract? That would be the obvious route to take, if hoping to replicate some of their results.

Oregano contains essential oils (high in carvacrol, thymol and p-cymene, with other trace constituents), and it is likely the volatile oil fraction responsible for MAOI activity. It's usually obtained by steam distillation of the plant material, more rarely by solvent extraction (if you find this for sale it would be called an absolute). The steam distilled essential oil is easy to buy, or if you go to a health food store you will probably find it there sold as "oil of oregano" which is usually diluted into a carrier oil of some kind.

Be cautious if working with the pure essential oil! It is so spicy and concentrated it may cause burns to your mouth. For therapeutic use, it is generally diluted to a 1-5% concentration. Also be warned, it is a very powerful antimicrobial (sold at health food stores to treat colds), and if you use it regularly it can strip some of the beneficial gut flora in the digestive tract.

I question whether this is a viable MAOI to potentiate tryptamines, or whether it is in the same category as yerba mate, yohimbe, kava kava etc, which are all known to have some MAOI activity but do not seem appropriately strong to make DMT orally active.

steppa
#23 Posted : 2/6/2013 6:57:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I once made a rosmary extract via Butan gas extraction just for the fun of it. I can imagine it would work with Oregano too. If one wanted to do this, one should look for a proper BHO tek. Is it allowed on the nexus to link to other forums?

Muahaha...one could even try butane long soak approach in a pre chilled thermos can following a vakuum purge. Very happy
Everything is always okay in the end, if it's not, then it's not the end.

PREV12