We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Finding a Shaman? Options

CosmikDebris
#1 Posted : 11/20/2011 6:09:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Anyone know if the search for a legitimate shaman is plausible? Myself and a couple friends are looking to go to the amazon or possibly the desert, but from the research I've been doing, it doesn't seem so simple to just call a shaman. Didn't expect it to be, however if anyone has any experience with the same, I'd love to hear what avenues might be a good place to start.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

۩
#2 Posted : 11/20/2011 6:10:57 PM

Until you meet others who are on the path, you can learn the ways, and execute your own ceremonies, where you will learn by trial and error, and by deciphering the scribe laid out by those who've ventured into the unknowns before you.

CosmikDebris
#3 Posted : 11/20/2011 6:19:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

yeah, well I'm not so sure I want to 'execute my own ceremonies' before I understand the proper way to do it. Otherwise I'd feel kind of like an impostor in a very fragile and sacred world.

Just looking for this to be an understanding of execution so that I may approach with respect. My problem is that the reading I've been doing points to many misleading, misguided and deceitful 'shamans'. I guess I'm just looking to find a way to sift through the potential to be misguided and approach this from an angle of respect and humility. I couldn't possibly feel humble embarking upon the ceremony that has been developed and evolving among spiritual jedis and leading it myself...you know?

۩
#4 Posted : 11/20/2011 6:26:07 PM

I think it's a common issue people have when doing this stuff at first. The one you are describing. I've just never subscribed to this belief/necessity myself. The molecules and plants and precisions of consciousness have led me into an improvised psychedelic integration of my every day life without the need for incorporating somebody elses culture. Of course, you can learn from them, but they are just doing this same thing. It's their way of life. I admit it would be fascinating to share spaces with other cultures simply out of curiosity. At the end of the day I would still have to go "home". I need far more medicine than I have the means to travel to get to. I am offering you my perspective on the matter because I can not offer you a telephone number to somebody who will charge you for drinking a psychedelic brew with them.

Bill Cipher
#5 Posted : 11/20/2011 6:44:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

CosmikDebris wrote:
yeah, well I'm not so sure I want to 'execute my own ceremonies' before I understand the proper way to do it. Otherwise I'd feel kind of like an impostor in a very fragile and sacred world.

Be aware that impostors abound in this particular world. There's a charlatan waiting around every corner, more than happy to take your money. This isn't to say that guidance from one who knows the terrain can't be helpful, but House makes a very good point. Why not create your own set of rituals? Your culture is as valid as anyone's.

CosmikDebris
#6 Posted : 11/20/2011 6:44:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Actually, I dig what you're saying and after some thought, I'm reconsidering. You make some valid points and I hadn't really looked at it like that.

Also, just want to be clear that I was not asking for anyone's phone number or information, maybe just for direction! But I appreciate your response. I think I am developing a different spin on it now.

signed
looking for enlightenment beyond convention

۩
#7 Posted : 11/20/2011 7:08:40 PM

In my humble opinion, this is the direction. Your own way. Everyone's path is unique. You can do this. Many of the users on this website have, and you can converse with us to get a better idea of how to prepare for working with these powerful medicines. The beginning stages are experimental, as you don't really know what to expect, but if you listen, and especially if you ask, they will teach you what they like in regards to set/setting.

You learn quickly that beauty, nutrients, music, incense, meditation, water, creativity, mapacho spliffs and firewood all go hand in hand with the perfect dose of psychedelic. You will want to start off slow, as in with low dosages, and work your way up into higher terrains and synergies. If you are set up somewhere nice, away, with everything you need, and no need to drive for a good long while, really the only thing that could go wrong is somebody flips out, but they, and you, will all learn from these experiences. Eventually you can experiment with setting up your home to be your zone. I suppose that must seem odd, but really I've tripped in many different settings, and I still love to go deep right here where I'm typing this now. It's a comfortable place. It's my place...

Just my take on all this stuff ;] Nothin' like trippin' with your friends! <3

CosmikDebris
#8 Posted : 11/20/2011 7:21:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Good stuff. Much thanks. I will probably go that direction. Maybe travel somewhere exotic though seeing as it is a substitute for a 'bachelor party'. But in the meantime can journey somewhere more familiar ; )

Ez
#9 Posted : 11/20/2011 9:44:40 PM

"Love is the medicine."

I really like what you guys are saying. After having an amazing breakthrough experience, I found that I was able to help guide people through similar experiences. I thought that I would have to travel to the Amazon to find a suitable maestro. Perhaps I was misguided in this belief. I already hsave a strong understanding of the healing properties contained in many different plants, but really I just need to continue in my practice. At this point I can make a beautiful jerumahuasca, a marvelous San Pedro tea, and am fairly good at dosing with boomers as well. I feel that each of these has their own healing properties, but the jurema seems to be best for going deep. The experience of taking someone else there can be brutal, intense and scary, but afterwards it seems like it was all worth it! The boomers seem to be a great tool to introduce someone topsyches and at higher doses have the ability to take one pretty deep as well. I really like the San Pedro as well as it puts me in tocuh with an entirely different spirit than the jurema. The lenght of the journey makes it good for people who have some experience with travel. For me, I like to take a cactus walk with someone before continuing on to the depths of an aya session. I have my own set of rituals for the cactus walk and the aya session and often times the cactus walks helps me to understand the person that I am working with on a much deeper level. Sorry about the rant. It's been a while since I've been able to share with anyone.
(¯`'·.¸(♥)¸.·'´¯Pleased But suddenly you're ripped into being alive. And life is pain, and life is suffering, and life is horror, but my god you are alive and it is spectacular!

Dream2Awaken
#10 Posted : 11/20/2011 10:48:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
I think it's a common issue people have when doing this stuff at first. The one you are describing. I've just never subscribed to this belief/necessity myself. The molecules and plants and precisions of consciousness have led me into an improvised psychedelic integration of my every day life without the need for incorporating somebody elses culture. Of course, you can learn from them, but they are just doing this same thing. It's their way of life. I admit it would be fascinating to share spaces with other cultures simply out of curiosity. At the end of the day I would still have to go "home". I need far more medicine than I have the means to travel to get to. I am offering you my perspective on the matter because I can not offer you a telephone number to somebody who will charge you for drinking a psychedelic brew with them.

House says it perfectly.

Instead of looking for a shaman. Be your own. You have to trust yourself to go through this process. Alone is the hardest way, but it's also the way that teaches you the most, and strengthens you as a person.
Let the Tao flow through you. Be the embodiment of it so throughout, that when passed by on the street they say, "Look! There goes Dao!"