We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Poll Question : Do you consider nutmeg a legitimate entheogen?
Choice Votes Statistics
Yes 7 46 %
No 4 26 %
Depends on the circumstance 4 26 %

Compendium for LEGITMATE nuteg information Options

tigerstrike92
#1 Posted : 11/9/2011 10:46:05 PM

Homo-divinorum

After reading through a LOT of the old posts about nutmeg, i am having a lot of trouble trying to sift out good information from bad information. So I thought it was time to start anew.

Do you consider nutmeg an entheogen? If so, then why? and if not, then why not?

Also, post personal experiences here, both with the nut and it's essential oil.
b
I just want to cram as much legitimate information about this sneaky spice in this thread as we can, like dose, duration, toxicity, fresh/ground/essential oil, etc.

I have taken the essential oil four times gel capped. I thought I felt effects twice, (definitely not like the effects described by 69ron) but this could have been placebo. I haven't had the courage or found the best method for taking the fresh nut just yet.

I did read a good dosage of nutmeg is 1 gram / 15 lbs. of body weight, but PLEASE correct me if I am wrong.

So whaddya know?
Let the plants guide you, for they teach lessons beyond what we humans can offer.
Distorted is our perception of reality, because reality is much more distorted than we could ever perceive it to be.

All posts made by this username do not actually exist. They are hallucinations caused by the reception of light photons by the retinae of homo sapien sapien. You are already inside the rabbit hole.

Follow the path you have chosen, travelers, you will not regret the outcome, that I can assure you.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

LeftEyeOfHorus
#2 Posted : 11/13/2011 4:59:34 PM

Hello

I have had one experience with nutmeg, the reasoning for the single experience is not due to unpleaseant affects.

Moreover, i have not had enough time! I felt effects from the nutmeg for just over 36 hours.

Ingested 17g of crushed and ground nutmegs (use whole nutmegs)

The onset was so slow and subtle i constantly questioned possible placebo effects.

As i lay down listening to Led Zeppelin i found myself drifting as though i had smoked a small amount of cannabis.

Over the next couple of hours this feeling became more and more profound, eventually feeling as though i had smoked 4 large joints.

Very similar to MJ, i experienced increased libido, lucid thought, quite meditative.

However, after 4-6 hours I became more so delirious. Slight nausea was noticeable.

Eventually i was unable to keep track of time, i remember a strange dream state, slight visual disturbances.

One occurrence that stands out to me was the sometimes vivid yet mostly subtle "rainbows" similar to what i have seen on salvia divinorum.

The day after ingesting the nutmeg I went for a meal with friends, i must say my mind was as clear as mud and every time i closed my eyes the "rainbows" were visible.

I weigh around 10.5 stone, looking back i would have taken a lower dose, perhaps 10-13 grams.

jamie
#3 Posted : 11/13/2011 5:43:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

I voted yes. I have used nutmeg in the past and it does work, though it is not something to be played with at all. This is NOT LSD to say the least. It has a long history of use in europe as a magickal intoxicant and addition to other herbal blends. It is definatily a legit entheogen if one approaches it that way..but be warned-it is also toxic to take in large ammounts, lasts a long time and can be dangerous for people who approach these things without understanding exactly what is up with each different plant/compound. I would not reccomend it's use to anyone becasue that would be irresponsible..If people want to use it they are going to use it either way and I would not condemn anyone for doing it either but you better know what you are doing.
Long live the unwoke.

tigerstrike92
#4 Posted : 11/16/2011 2:07:56 AM

Homo-divinorum

LeftEyeOfHorus wrote:

I weigh around 10.5 stone, looking back i would have taken a lower dose, perhaps 10-13 grams.

Thanks for the insight. That seems to go along with the dose method I proposed above.

I saw on another extraction that Phlux would do a kind of nutmeg tek by boiling/simmering the nutmeg for 6-8 hours, then putting it in the fridge to let a butter form on top, and then just using the butter and throwing the rest away. I pm'ed him for more details, but has anyone had experience with this?
Let the plants guide you, for they teach lessons beyond what we humans can offer.
Distorted is our perception of reality, because reality is much more distorted than we could ever perceive it to be.

All posts made by this username do not actually exist. They are hallucinations caused by the reception of light photons by the retinae of homo sapien sapien. You are already inside the rabbit hole.

Follow the path you have chosen, travelers, you will not regret the outcome, that I can assure you.

deadlight
#5 Posted : 11/16/2011 3:12:19 AM
DMT-Nexus member

although i felt some basic effects like nausia and confusion from a few heaped tbs of powderd, i think its one of those things, were evan if it does somthing, why bother? theres much more fun stuff about to say the least!

BananaForeskin
#6 Posted : 11/16/2011 3:58:30 AM

I Eat Plant Magic

Nutmeg essential oil, taken on its own, has never done very much for me. The most I took was about 4ml once, and experienced heightened color, an altered state of mind and a slight social dysfunctionality coupled with a sort of itchy nausea. Not too fun, not too pronounced.

However, took about 3ml once in weed chai hot chocolate, ****ing wonderful. Experience similar in intensity to a couple of grams of mushrooms, but VERY different.

I've taken the essential oil in combination with other herbs in smaller doses before, but the weed hot chocolate was the only success (and the only time combining it with weed).
¤ø¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø¸„ø¤º¨

.^.^.^.^.^.^(0)=õ

downwardsfromzero
#7 Posted : 12/10/2015 10:12:49 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Bumping this in my continued mission of dredging the depths of this 'Other Psychoactives' subforum for my ongoing project concerning nutmeg and the allylbenzenes...

I say yes, nutmeg is a viable 'entheogen' if done 'correctly'.

As with Jamie's post above:
Quote:
it is not something to be played with at all. This is NOT LSD to say the least.

That definitely holds true, as does:
Quote:
but be warned-it is also toxic to take in large [amounts], lasts a long time and can be dangerous for people who approach these things without understanding exactly what is up with each different plant/compound. I would not [recommend] its use to anyone [because] that would be irresponsible..

So what do I mean by 'correctly'? I've had repeated positive results with a tincture. It's been a case of learning the specific 'language' of the plant, as it were. At low doses (10-15 drops of this tincture, corresponding to far less than half a nut) there is sensory enhancement and mood elevation. The effects are to a certain degree empathogenic.

At higher doses the euphoria becomes decidedly strong and pleasing geometric ECVs occur. Tactile sensitivity is greatly enhanced. This combines well with cannabis and a willing intimate companion.

Depending on recent diet and the positions of the planets, effects may continue for up to three days. This might include hypnogogic and hypnopompic imagery and vivid dreams.

Negative effects to be aware of include the possibility of sudden rage at seemingly small and insignificant incidents, as well as organ damage, particularly the liver... Impairment of certain aspects of cognitive function is also noticeable. Recall and short term memory are um what was I talking about? Higher doses may increase likelihood of reckless behaviour, probably due to the dopaminergic effects of certain phenylpropene metabolites.

I normally dose in a cup of (good quality) coffee. Certain other things enhance the effects, even the following day. Fried eggs with tomato ketchup seem to bring the effects back for some reason. You might say I'm feeling enhanced pleasure from food as a result of the sensory enhancement except on one occasion I started to get minor OEV effects from this combination. I think it may be something to do with the carotenoids that are present in both the egg and the tomato, viz - (e.g.) zeaxanthin and lycopene respectively. Mayonnaise also works. And the black pepper/chamomile tea trick works for me too.

The Space Paste thing is also valid, IME. Space Paste combines well with full-fat soft cheese.

It all adds up to a most curious metabolic Rubik's cube...

I would add that I don't experience any headaches or nausea with my methods. But then I don't eat huge mounds of powdered nutmeg. I might get a couple of days of mood rebound - grumpiness, irritability - after a higher dose. I tend to avoid higher doses and will use milk thistle and artichoke to take care of my liver.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

hixidom
#8 Posted : 12/10/2015 11:31:13 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I think that one could use any recreational drug for spiritual or otherwise self-explorative purposes. However, if I said "all drugs are entheogens" then the word ceases to have any practical meaning. That being said I voted "No" because, based on the one time I tried it, the nutmeg experience is more of a downer than drugs that I would consider entheogenic. By that I mean that it is relaxing (even meditative), and it does come with some sort of stoned feeling, but this could be said about any drug that could also be called "stupifying". I don't think the experience is intellectually stimulating enough for me to comfortably say its an entheogen.

Again, that's not to say it couldn't be used as an entheogen...So there is some trickiness to the word "entheogen", because it has as much to do with our motivations for using a drug as it has to do with the actual drug itself.

EDIT: Reading some of the posts before this one, it occurs to me that maybe I never really used nutmeg correctly (i.e. in the right amount, in the right form, in combination with other drugs, etc.)
Every day I am thankful that I was introduced to psychedelic drugs.

downwardsfromzero
#9 Posted : 7/5/2016 12:01:42 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

I'm currently trawling through available (to me) nutmeg literature online and will hopefully post a few of the more interesting findings here over the course of time. Posted recent info here.

Also, requests will probably ensue in the scientific papers thread. If there's anyone out there who can post anything about the specific identity of the alkaloids repeatedly reported to be present in nutmeg I shall be eternally grateful.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."

downwardsfromzero
#10 Posted : 7/5/2016 12:39:10 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

And now this:
Quote:
Pharmaceutical Biology

Indirect modulation of the endocannabinoid system by specific fractions of nutmeg total extract

Abir T. El-Alfy, Sharon Josepha, Akshar Brahmbhatta, Setor Akatia & Ehab A. Abourasheda

Published online: 14 Jun 2016

Abstract

Context: Nutmeg [Myristica fragrans Houtt. (Myristicaceae)] has a long-standing reputation of psychoactivity. Anecdotal reports of nutmeg use as a cheap marijuana substitute, coupled to previous studies reporting a cannabimimetic-like action, suggest that nutmeg may interact with the endocannabinoid system.

Objective: The study evaluates nutmeg fractions for binding capacity with various CNS receptors and their potential interaction with the endocannabinoid system.

Materials and methods: Dichloromethane (DF) and ethyl acetate (EF) fractions were prepared from the methanol extract of powdered whole nutmeg. The HPLC-profiled fractions were assayed by the NIMH Psychoactive Drug Screening Program (PDSP) in a panel of CNS targets at a 10 μg/mL concentration. The fractions were also screened for fatty acid amide hydrolase (FAAH) and monoacylglycerol lipase (MAGL) inhibition, initially at a concentration of 500 μg/mL, then by concentration-dependent inhibition studies.

Results: None of the tested fractions showed significant binding to CNS receptors included in the PDSP panel. However, both fractions exerted significant inhibition of the FAAH and MAGL enzymes [emphasis added]. The DF fraction inhibited FAAH and MAGL enzymes at IC50 values of 21.06 ± 3.16 and 15.34 ± 1.61 μg/mL, respectively. Similarly, the EF fraction demonstrated FAAH and MAGL inhibition with IC50 values of 15.42 ± 3.09 and 11.37 ± 6.15 μg/mL, respectively.

Discussion and conclusion: The study provides the first piece of evidence that nutmeg interacts with the endocannabinoid system via inhibition of the endocannabinoid catabolizing enzymes. This mechanism provides insight into reported cannabis-like action as well as expands the potential therapeutic utility of nutmeg.

downwardsfromzero
#11 Posted : 7/5/2016 6:15:17 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Can the glaring spelling error in the title of this thread please be corrected? Thanks.

Eggplant
#12 Posted : 7/8/2016 11:43:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I voted "YES," because I've tried it and it "worked."

Starbucks used to leave nutmeg out on the counter for people to sprinkle on the cappuccino, I don't think they do that anymore. I think I was about 16 years old and I was bored and curious so I went into one and ordered a large cup of tea and dumped their whole shaker of nutmeg in it, let it soak for an hour and drank it. I was definitely tripping but mildly and much to my surprise didn't get sick, although it wasn't the most pleasant or euphoric feeling either. It was a good experience but not good enough to try it again.