We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
Tripping alone Options

VoidTraveler
#1 Posted : 11/9/2011 6:22:12 PM

Traveler's pet cactus

Senior Member | Skills: Harm reduction

I've done shrooms several times in the past, but always with other people. The trips were fun and at some point even forced me to solve a psychedelic crisis with a friend who went bad. I've consumed 10 and 15 gram dosages of truffles.

Now that I've tripped with others, I'm curious to what happens if I consume 5 grams of dried shrooms alone. My planned form of consumption is to make a smoothie with various fruits, including some citrus fruits for the MAOIs in them. I'll fast 5 to 6 hours before tripping and for during the comedown I have a wide variety of ice creams, fruits(some slightly frozen. Semi-frozen raspberries while tripping is great. I can feel the cold crawl up my hands and arms) and other tasty light snacks. Nothing too heavy and nothing in too large quantities. For music selection I have some Sphongle, various psybient music and techno.

Are there any things I need to pay special attention to? Do sole trippers have any tips for me?
The spice extends life.
The spice expands consciousness.
The spice is vital to space travel.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

universecannon
#2 Posted : 11/9/2011 6:39:19 PM

Moderator | Skills: harmalas, melatonin, trip advice, lucid dreaming

What you get out of it is reflected by what you put into it

set(the state/contents of your mind) and setting(your environment) as you probably already know, are essential things to consider. i prefer silent darkness for high doses of mushrooms, but occasionally its nice to listen to music.. if i do i save that for the comedown on those big doses though. I usually meditate as much as i can about the upcoming experience in the time prior to it, but don't cling to any expectations or concepts since they will be obliterated anyway..just ponder intentions, fill your heart with love and good vibes. Optimism ftw. IMO, Yoga/meditation beforehand (and meditation during-sometimes yoga to) is a beautiful and very useful way to gently guide the trip into a more positive experience

If it starts going south, it may be that you just need to deal with the information that it is bringing to the surface of your awareness so to learn from it and grow. Often its info we put in the back of our minds, and we can even subconsciously do this so we don't have to deal with the bigger picture of ourselves/the world.

Sometimes though you can get into a negative rut, and focusing on breathing slow and deep breathes helps here..changing what room your lying in, if possible, also helps me..as does smiling, laughing and NOT taking to toooo seriously. mushrooms naturally have a very silly and freaky sense of humor anyway Very happy The times i've seen people, including myself, get into trouble is when they blow aspects of the experience/thoughts wayyy out of proportion

I like the idea of just laying down in silent darkness with a sort of empty slate as to what to expect for the first time..but im a chicken shit and scoured hundreds of individual reports of people doing this Laughing ..so reading up more can give you some ideas on how you might want to approach "it". but honestly, experience is the best teacher

<Ringworm>hehehe, it's all fun and games till someone loses an "I"

thepureskunk
#3 Posted : 11/10/2011 8:21:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey,

I nearly always trip alone and IMO I find it a lot more constructive and beneficial. The main reason for my thinking is the lack of distractions and the ability of being in charge of your own trip. You can also 'let go' far more easily.

70-80% of the time i would trip at night, in bed or somewhere comfortable with music, candles and very little else. I have recently been listening to a lot of Terence Mckenna and he (and i would listen to what the great man say's) recommends that you should take a strong dose, on a empty stomach and in total darkness laying down....

I've yet to try it but will be in the next couple of weeks.

Happy journeys Smile
acolon_5 wrote:
Welcome to club hypersex.

I've been there too...it is amazing.

Tek
#4 Posted : 11/10/2011 8:29:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Most of my mushroom sessions have been alone and the times I have tripped with someone it's always been my girlfriend whom I'm 100% comfortable around.

To add to what pureskunk already said about Terence, I find his recommendation for taking psychedelics to be spot on, especially the part about warning against taking too little of a substance. At first, this seems to be a terrible piece of advice but having done it both ways I definately agree that more is better than too little.

What I've found is if you take too few shrooms the experience can become quite freaky. Your ego doesn't like to let you go, I think it's constructed to keep you attached to your physical life, which is what your trying to get away from (if your goal is to have a transcendental experience). When you take a lower dose of mushrooms, it becomes very easy to get stuck in an in-between state where things are clearly fucked up but you have a hard time letting go. My worst trips always come from taking too few shrooms instead of too many.
All posts are from the fictional perspective of The Legendary Tek: the formless, hyperspace exploring apprentice to the mushroom god Teo. Tek, the lord of Eureeka's Castle, is the chosen one who has surfed the rainbow wave and who resides underneath the matter dome. All posts are fictitious in nature and are meant for entertainment purposes only.

universecannon
#5 Posted : 11/10/2011 9:39:58 PM

Moderator | Skills: harmalas, melatonin, trip advice, lucid dreaming

For the most part i agree with the infamous quote "if your not afraid you took to much, you didn't take enough".. But that said i absolutely love low/medium doses of mushrooms as well

<Ringworm>hehehe, it's all fun and games till someone loses an "I"

Doodazzle
#6 Posted : 11/11/2011 1:26:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The OP, VoidTraveler, is talking about 5 grams being their lower dose. Often I see party users going much lower than this. From my personal experience I'd say an 8th or more and your plenty safe from getting caught in the in-between zone. An 8th is 3.5 grams remember. I've only been stuck in the in between state on those occassions when I tried to eat less than half an 8th. Even then I've enjoyed low doses on occassion.

Furthermore, I'd say that I have a party dose. This dose is zero. Once apon a time that dose was low, rather than zero....but I've lived and I've seen. Mushrooms+crowds=problems, in ways that acid and crowds will not, and with greater frequency.

Then I have a small group of friends dose, half an 8th to up to a quarter ounce.

If I'm alone or it's just me and my girl I can eat a half ounce or more. Or less mushroom +syrian rue, a combo which always leads to entity contact and can be quite powerful.

For a higher dose, or a dopse involving any type of MAOI, I'd leave out the music. The mushrooms themselves make fine music.
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods." Albert Einstein

I appreciate your perspective.

Sky Motion
#7 Posted : 11/13/2011 12:58:57 AM

<3

I've tripped with friends mostly but I decided to do mushrooms once alone. It was very enjoyable, I know we preach preach preach it, but set and setting are absolutely essential when tripping alone. Especially on a high dose. Make sure everything is perfect, with NO ROOM FOR WORRIES. Also, as always, succumb to the experience.

Safe travels<3

PrimateSphinx
#8 Posted : 11/13/2011 1:21:38 AM

The Rhythmic Dúnedain

Honestly I prefer to trip mushrooms alone. Take Terence's advice: alone, in nature, and you already have the high dose part downSmile . For me I always learn a lot more about myself and the mushroom experience rather than having to worry about being trying to communicate on high doses of hallucinogens. I do like taking smaller doses with a few friends but i couldn't handle high doses. but that's me
What are we but stupefied dancers to a discordant stystem, we believe - so we're mislead
we assume - so we're played
we confide - so we're deceived
we trust - so we're betrayed

VoidTraveler
#9 Posted : 11/18/2011 12:32:15 AM

Traveler's pet cactus

PrimateSphinx wrote:
Honestly I prefer to trip mushrooms alone. Take Terence's advice: alone, in nature, and you already have the high dose part downSmile . For me I always learn a lot more about myself and the mushroom experience rather than having to worry about being trying to communicate on high doses of hallucinogens. I do like taking smaller doses with a few friends but i couldn't handle high doses. but that's me

Nature isn't an option this time a year. Winter is approaching and I rather not be outside high on shrooms. But when summer will come around that is one of the things that is on the list.

Plans have changed a bit. I'm going to drop acid tomorrow(first time) and in 2 or 3 weeks I'll have my solo mushroom trip.
The spice extends life.

PrimateSphinx
#10 Posted : 11/18/2011 7:02:01 AM

The Rhythmic Dúnedain

VoidTraveller wrote:

Nature isn't an option this time a year. Winter is approaching and I rather not be outside high on shrooms.

meh, I likes the cold but i have to or else I'd go insane in the winter. Fortunately for me the Norwegians invented skiingSmile good luck with your first time on Lysergic acic diethylamide, its a hell of a substance
What are we but stupefied dancers to a discordant stystem, we believe - so we're mislead
we assume - so we're played
we confide - so we're deceived
we trust - so we're betrayed

VoidTraveler
#11 Posted : 12/3/2011 2:06:31 PM

Traveler's pet cactus

I'll be bumping this for several reasons:

First: I've only done truffles in the past. WET truffles to be exact, so taking 5 grams of dried is my highest dose up so far. However, on LSD I've experienced some seriously intense ego death so I'm quite confident I'll be able to handle the mushrooms.

Does anyone know how big the difference in strength is between truffles and mushrooms?

What do fellow solo trippers do during their trip?
The spice extends life.

Doodazzle
#12 Posted : 12/3/2011 6:53:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:

Does anyone know how big the difference in strength is between truffles and mushrooms?

Is the question here "gourmet mushrooms v's entheogenic mushrooms"?

Or is there some new slang, and I just aint hip?

"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods." Albert Einstein

Mindlusion
#13 Posted : 12/3/2011 7:23:31 PM

Chairman of the Celestial Divison

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

Bedazzle wrote:
Quote:

Is the question here "gourmet mushrooms v's entheogenic mushrooms"?

Or is there some new slang, and I just aint hip?

Truffles ( Sclerotia tampanensis) are a type of psilocybin containing mushroom in the UK, fairly easy to obtain. They are much weaker then traditional psilocybes (cubensis, semilanceata, cyanescens) and extremely large amounts must be eaten to recieve visonary effects like from large doses of mushrooms, they commonly eaten for a low dose experience.

about the thread, usually when I take a hallucinogenic substance in a high dosage I trip alone, Usually without even leaving a room.
Expect nothing, Receive everything.
"Experiment and extrapolation is the only means the organic chemists (humans) currrently have - in contrast to "God" (and possibly R. B. Woodward). "
He alone sees truly who sees the Absolute the same in every creature...seeing the same Absolute everywhere, he does not harm himself or others. - The Bhagavad Gita
"The most beautiful thing we can experience, is the mysterious. The source of all true art and science."

Dr Psychonaut
#14 Posted : 12/3/2011 8:48:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I've found this thread very useful as I've been considering my first solo shroom trip soon too. I've done shrooms many times at low/medium doses always with friends which is always a lot of fun but there's always that part of me that wants to disconnect from the external world and explore the inner realms that psilocybin can provide access to. I'm particularly drawn to the aesthetic closed eye visuals which I haven't yet been able to fully appreciate but its like I know there's something wonderful behind there... How would one describe the character of high dose psilocybin visuals compared to say DMT?
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All events described in any posts by Dr Psychonaut are entirely fictitious and for educational purposes only.

Doodazzle
#15 Posted : 12/7/2011 11:15:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm days late, but still--thank you Mindlusion.

Shadowman-x
#16 Posted : 12/7/2011 11:42:48 PM

x-namwodahs

Senior Member | Skills: Relationship & emotional support/counselling

Dr. psychonaught, many people I know say high dose psilocybin/psilocin visuals are comparable entirely to DMT trips. I would ask jamie about his experiences with solo high dose mushroom trips and he should be able to paint an accurate picture.
They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

jamie
#17 Posted : 12/8/2011 1:21:57 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

high dose mushrooms are very close to DMT..nearly identical but there is some differences. DMT is a bit more sharp, crisp maybe..DMT is the clearest there is I find. Now, I am talking mushrooms and NOT pure psilocin/psilocybin..pure psilocin I am sure would be even closer if not exactly like DMT..the baeocystin in mushrooms and other alks most likely color the experience a bit and change it.

The biggest difference I find between DMT/ayahuasca and mushrooms is that DMT and ayahuasca just feel more natural for the body. Mushrooms feel natural enough already but there is something about ayahuasca that feels right..and I feel really great after..where with mushrooms I have an afterglow and feel good mentally..but physically I feel tired and a bit run down after mushrooms as compared to ayahuasca and other DMT/harmala mixes..

Also ayahuasca and other mixes of oral harmala and DMT differ more from psilocin because the harmalas add alot to the experience. In general though DMT and psilocin are like twins almost and you wont get any closer to DMT than psilocin.
Long live the unwoke.

SoulCrushingBass
#18 Posted : 12/8/2012 12:01:33 AM

Keeper of the spice

I often prefer alone as well. I do have a couple people who can handle anything an experience throws at them, so if I do go in a group its with them.

The thing I've learned, is the energy of others amplifies the experience, without a doubt, any dose feels stronger around others who are involved.

To me the experience is very personal and needs to be free from distraction if you are seeking insight.

So its really give and take between the two options. With my select friends, things aren't neccesarily more introspective, yet we share the experience, the visuals, and the wow factor of life and creation. One of My last shared experience was Syrian, freebase d, and shroom tea watching planet earth HD with coil 'time machine', which was Shocked

One thing I've learned, which reinstates what has been said before here, is take plenty! Do not dose short by any means. Eat moar!
Well, y'know, it's like this experience that I had was like, y'know, erm, it was kind of the most profound experience I've had in me life, like

staresatwalls
#19 Posted : 12/8/2012 8:31:21 AM

DMT-Nexus member

pardon how scatter brained this post is. i prefer to trip alone and take really big doses. tripping w/ friends is cool but even when i do that i'll find an empty room if possible for when i'm peaking.

Sky Motion wrote:
Make sure everything is perfect, with NO ROOM FOR WORRIES. Also, as always, succumb to the experience.

Safe travels<3

i largely agree with skymotion here but i would have to put it as just surround yourself with what you like; like tons of weed (pre ground w/ a bowl or pre rolled j's), harmala infused herbs (i'd also recommend a full maoi inhibition beforehand too Thumbs up )changa, and perhaps a glass of water or oj. i like to come up doing things i enjoy and then when i really start tripping i'll lay down in a dark room and veg out. and as i'm sure you know take care of all your shit that could cloud your mind beforehand.

jamie wrote:
In general though DMT and psilocin are like twins almost

one atom difference Smile
‎"Trust in your own wetware; your psyche and your body will be reunited." -Gracie and Zarkov

in plants we trust

corpus callosum
#20 Posted : 12/8/2012 1:05:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Medical DoctorModerator

Tripping alone is, IME, rewarding in a way that isnt achieved when others are present and I firmly believe it shouldnt be attempted by those who have never had a bad trip previously.

A good compromise (and this can also apply to the experienced solo-venturer) if feasible, is to let a trusted and experienced friend know of ones plan to have a solo session and have their blessing to ring them if things get a little hairy. The knowledge that theres someone on the other end of the phone if required can provide some useful succour and to some degree dispels the feeling of being totally 'alone' whilst still giving access to the real benefits of a trip devoid of input from other persons.
I am paranoid of my brain. It thinks all the time, even when I'm asleep. My thoughts assail me. Murderous lechers they are. Thought is the assassin of thought. Like a man stabbing himself with one hand while the other hand tries to stop the blade. Like an explosion that destroys the detonator. I am paranoid of my brain. It makes me unsettled and ill at ease. Makes me chase my tail, freezes my eyes and shuts me down. Watches me. Eats my head. It destroys me.

12NEXT