We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Lots of mixed info on rooting cacti cuttings. Options

ntwhtyouknw
#1 Posted : 11/8/2011 2:13:41 AM

You do not have to see alike, feel alike or even think alike in order spiritually to be alike

I have some cuttings of cactus I'm going to attempt to root. I'm waiting for the cut to heal and I'm wondering why there is no consistent info on how to go about rooting, some sources say to just set the cutting on top of the soil, some say use perlite and some vermiculite, some say bury it 3 inches, some say not to water at all, some say to cut a few holes in the sides toward the bottom so they can receive water. I'm also thinking about using a rooting hormone to speed things up but I'm not sure if this is something that needs to be applied when the cut Isn't yet healed (which is the only way I see the cactus being able to absorb it). Anyway, it is pretty confusing to me and I really want to learn so that I can continue to collect cuttings while knowing more of what I am to do with them to ensure healthy growth. Thanks.
Toadfreak!

Travel like a king
Listen to the inner voice
A higher wisdom is at work for you
Conquering the stumbling blocks come easier
When the conqueror is in tune with the infinite
Every ending is a new beginning
Life is an endless unfoldment
Change your mind, and you change your relation to time
Free your mind and the rest will follow

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

۩
#2 Posted : 11/8/2011 3:00:10 AM

Hey,

I would let the cactus scar, then once it's hard, apply rooting hormone. It's not necessary but it speeds things up. The perlite/vermiculate is for drainage. You don't want soil that has nothing else in it otherwise it won't drain well and your cactus will mold. So use about 1 part soil to 1 part perlite and make sure it's completely dry when putting the cactus 3" in the soil.

Next step is to wait. Check for roots in 1-2 weeks. If there are none, be patient. Some take longer than others. They should be there though, and once you spot them, you can give it a light watering and then continue to grow it as normal from then on.

You can also add a bit of lime to the mix to basify as cacti like that kind of thing.