We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
123NEXT
World's most powerful laser to tear apart the vacuum of space Options

actualfactual
#1 Posted : 10/31/2011 1:09:40 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
Due to follow in the footsteps of the Large Hadron Collider, the latest "big science" experiment being proposed by physicists will see the world's most powerful laser being constructed.

Capable of producing a beam of light so intense that it would be equivalent to the power received by the Earth from the sun focused onto a speck smaller than a tip of a pin, scientists claim it could allow them boil the very fabric of space – the vacuum.

Contrary to popular belief, a vacuum is not devoid of material but in fact fizzles with tiny mysterious particles that pop in and out of existence, but at speeds so fast that no one has been able to prove they exist.

The Extreme Light Infrastructure Ultra-High Field Facility would produce a laser so intense that scientists say it would allow them to reveal these particles for the first time by pulling this vacuum "fabric" apart.

They also believe it could even allow them to prove whether extra-dimensions exist.

"This laser will be 200 times more powerful than the most powerful lasers that currently exist," said Professor John Collier, a scientific leader for the ELI project and director of the Central Laser Facility at the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory in Didcot, Oxfordshire.

"At this kind of intensity we start to get into unexplored territory as it is an area of physics that we have never been before."

The ELI Ultra-High Field laser is due to be complete by the end of the decade and will cost an estimated £1 billion. Although the location for the facility will not be decided until next year, the UK is among several European countries in the running to host it.

The European Commission has already this year approved plans to build three other lasers that will form part of the ELI project and will be prototypes for the Ultra-High Field laser.

Due to sited in the Czech Republic, Hungary and Romania, each laser will coast around £200 million and are scheduled to become operational in 2015.

The Ultra-High Field laser will be made up of 10 beams, each twice as powerful as the prototype lasers, allowing it to produce 200 petawatts of power – more than 100,000 times the power of the world's combined electricity production – for less than a trillionth of a second.

The huge amounts of energy needed to produce a laser beam of this strength is stored up over time before it is fired to produce large laser beams several feet wide that are then combined and focused down onto a tiny spot, much like sunlight through a magnifying glass.

At the focal point, the intensity of the light will produce conditions that are so extreme they do not exist even in the centre of our sun.

It will cause the mysterious particles of matter and antimatter thought to make up a vacuum to be pulled apart, allowing scientists to detect the tiny electrical charges they produce.

These "ghost particles", as they are known, normally annihilate one another as soon as they appear, but by using the laser to pull them apart, physicists believe they will be able to detect them.

It could help to explain the mystery of why the universe contains far more matter than we have been able to detect by revealing what so called dark matter really is.

Professor Wolfgang Sandner, coordinator of the Laserlab Europe network and president of the German Physics Society, said: "We are taught to think of the vacuum as empty space, but it seems even a true vacuum is filled with pairs of molecules that come into our universe for an extremely short time.

"An extremely powerful laser should be able to pull these particles apart and keep them in existence for longer.

"There are many challenges to be over come before we can do that, but it is mainly a matter of scaling up the technology we have so we can produce the powers needed."

The Science and Technology Facilities Council, which provides funds for Britain's involvement in major science facilities including the Large Hadron Collider at CERN in Geneva, has marked out the ELI as a key area it wants to focus on.

Scientists at the Centre for Advanced Laser Technology and Applications at Rutherford Appleton Laboratories in Dicot, Oxfordshire, are already developing technology that will be essential for producing such powerful lasers.

The Centre is thought to be one of the prime candidates for where the Ultra-High Field laser could be located, but it faces competition from sites in Russia, France, Hungary, Romania and the Czech Republic.

As well as offering new insights in to undiscovered realms of physics, scientists say the ELI lasers will also produce new laser based treatments for cancer and medical diagnostics.

Dr Thomas Heinzl, an associate professor of theoretical physics at Plymouth University, said: "ELI is going to take us into an uncharted regime of physics. There could well be some surprises along the way."

article @ http://www.telegraph.co....the-vacuum-of-space.html

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

onethousandk
#2 Posted : 10/31/2011 5:16:50 AM

DMT-Nexus member

actualfactual wrote:
Quote:
The Ultra-High Field laser will be made up of 10 beams, each twice as powerful as the prototype lasers, allowing it to produce 200 petawatts of power – more than 100,000 times the power of the world's combined electricity production – for less than a trillionth of a second.

At the focal point, the intensity of the light will produce conditions that are so extreme they do not exist even in the centre of our sun.

Damn science. You crazy.

Phlux-
#3 Posted : 10/31/2011 5:52:49 AM

The Root

Chemical expertSenior Member

did somebody say lazer ?

antrocles wrote:
...purity of intent....purity of execution....purity of experience...

...unlike the "blind leading the blind". we are more akin to a group of blind-from-birth people who have all simultaneously been given the gift of sight but have no words or mental processing capabilites to work with this new "gift".

IT IS ONLY TO THE EXTENT THAT WE ARE WILLING TO EXPOSE OURSELVES OVER AND OVER AGAIN TO ANNIHILATION THAT WE DISCOVER THAT PART OF OURSELVES THAT IS INDESTRUCTIBLE.

Quote:
‹Jorkest› the wall is impenetrable as far as i can tell

Quote:
‹xtechre› cheese is great

He who packs ur capsules - controls your destiny.

Purges
#4 Posted : 10/31/2011 10:41:25 AM

DMT-Nexus member

[quote=actualfactual]
Quote:
scientists claim it could allow them boil the very fabric of space – the vacuum.

Something tells me that this may not be a very good idea. I'm all for scientific advancement, but boiling and eventually tearing the fabric of space?! Shocked Hmmmm, another potentially cataclysmic experiment that I dare say the general populace will not have a say on yet again.
Lose Control, Free My Soul, Break Me Open, Make Me Whole.
"DMT kicked my balls off" - od3

SpartanII
#5 Posted : 10/31/2011 12:21:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Shocked LASORGASM!

Purges wrote:
Something tells me that this may not be a very good idea. I'm all for scientific advancement, but boiling and eventually tearing the fabric of space?! Shocked Hmmmm, another potentially cataclysmic experiment that I dare say the general populace will not have a say on yet again.

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe this is what causes the end of the world in 2012.ShockedVery happy Who knows...

AlbertKLloyd
#6 Posted : 10/31/2011 2:10:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
a vacuum is not devoid of material but in fact fizzles with tiny mysterious particles that pop in and out of existence, but at speeds so fast that no one has been able to prove they exist.

It will cause the mysterious particles of matter and antimatter thought to make up a vacuum to be pulled apart, allowing scientists to detect the tiny electrical charges they produce.

These "ghost particles", as they are known, normally annihilate one another as soon as they appear, but by using the laser to pull them apart, physicists believe they will be able to detect them.

interesting theory

Phantastica
#7 Posted : 10/31/2011 3:03:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

very interesting!! monkey minds are evolving damn FAST O_O can't wait for the results. thanks for sharing actual<3
<3

PrimalWisdom
#8 Posted : 10/31/2011 3:46:54 PM

Everything the light touches

Yeah I'm gonna have to agree that is probably a dumb idea. if they don't tear a whole in the universe they might kill or hurt one of the many aliens zooming around space in their ship Razz

But seriously I think some things should just be left alone.
Sonorous fractal manifestastions,
birthing golden vibrations,
that echo through folds of space & time,
ferry my soul closer to God

actualfactual
#9 Posted : 10/31/2011 4:09:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm all for science uncovering more about the nature of reality. I don't think this is anything to be scared of.

soulfood
#10 Posted : 10/31/2011 4:26:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: DMT, Harmaloids, Bufotenine, Mescaline, Trip advice

I always assume the authority's on these matters to have knowledge enough for efficency of damage control, so I'm not worried about the primary outcome of experiments. Hell knows we got fed up enough of journalists reporting the LHC will create a black hole yada yada and so forth.

What I want to know is, what kind of energy bills these things are running? Who pays for them? Are they sustainable?

This laser contraption sounds like it's going to need a hell of a power plant to get up and running and I wonder if potential insights are worth the cost in this stage of our social evolution.

Seems no-one's really cutting expense on anything except life support mechanisms.

Parshvik Chintan
#11 Posted : 10/31/2011 7:03:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Purges wrote:
Hmmmm, another potentially cataclysmic experiment that I dare say the general populace will not have a say on yet again.

ITS TEARING APART THE FABRIC OF SPACE WITH LASERS, WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG?!?!
no but seriously science is fucking awesome.
im so glad i wasn't born 100 years ago. (even though technically one might argue i was....)

actualfactual wrote:
I'm all for science uncovering more about the nature of reality. I don't think this is anything to be scared of.

i always try to be afraid of the unkown. change is scary... what if it hurts?
i don't like pain D:
My wind instrument is the bong
CHANGA IN THE BONGA!

Entheojen
#12 Posted : 10/31/2011 7:24:45 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Purges wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe this is what causes the end of the world in 2012.ShockedVery happy Who knows...

Well I watched Dawn of the Dead last night and was rather hoping that 2012 would yield a zombie apocalypse, so who'd win in a fight? Lasers or zombies?
The trees spoke to me through the wind. The more I listened, the more they spoke.

SpartanII
#13 Posted : 10/31/2011 8:38:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Entheojen wrote:
Purges wrote:

Well I watched Dawn of the Dead last night and was rather hoping that 2012 would yield a zombie apocalypse, so who'd win in a fight? Lasers or zombies?

Wait..I thought I said that. WHAT'S GOING ON? I'M SCARED!

Laughing Wink

Entheojen
#14 Posted : 10/31/2011 10:18:58 PM
DMT-Nexus member

lol sorry quotefail.
The trees spoke to me through the wind. The more I listened, the more they spoke.

Phlux-
#15 Posted : 11/1/2011 1:16:26 PM

The Root

Chemical expertSenior Member

do i smell the re-emergence of ether-physics ?
antrocles wrote:
...purity of intent....purity of execution....purity of experience...

...unlike the "blind leading the blind". we are more akin to a group of blind-from-birth people who have all simultaneously been given the gift of sight but have no words or mental processing capabilites to work with this new "gift".

IT IS ONLY TO THE EXTENT THAT WE ARE WILLING TO EXPOSE OURSELVES OVER AND OVER AGAIN TO ANNIHILATION THAT WE DISCOVER THAT PART OF OURSELVES THAT IS INDESTRUCTIBLE.

Quote:
‹Jorkest› the wall is impenetrable as far as i can tell

Quote:
‹xtechre› cheese is great

He who packs ur capsules - controls your destiny.

Pandora
#16 Posted : 11/1/2011 6:33:38 PM

Got Naloxone?

Welcoming committeeSenior Member

It's cool but I predict it won't match the hype. Just like the yet to be fully powered up LHC.
"But even if nothing lasts and everything is lost, there is still the intrinsic value of the moment. The present moment, ultimately, is more than enough, a gift of grace and unfathomable value, which our friend and lover death paints in stark relief."
-Rick Doblin, Ph.D. MAPS President, MAPS Bulletin Vol. XX, No. 1, pg. 2

Hyperspace LOVES YOU

TimePantry
#17 Posted : 11/4/2011 7:52:05 PM

It's a field.

Dang, seems to me that for a clever bunch of sods, we really aren't very creative.

"What that?"
"Dunno."
"Og SMASH!"

I mean, does anyone ever consider any other way to study things besides smashing it?

If they are talking about these "ghost particles" at all, they must have been observed in some way. If it can be obseved, chances ae very good that there is some ingenious way to detect it. (that doesn't involve tearing apart the very fabric of spacetime.)

Honestly, before they go building these gargantuan and possibly ill-advised experiments, I think they ought to open the question of detection up to the general public. I'd bet money that some 14-year-old kid somewhere would come up with a viable way to detect and/or analyze them.

(or a surf bum in Hawaii LOL)
"What's wrong with that generation? ... Is this what comes of putting on Pink Floyd laser lightshows down at the Planetarium?" --Spider Robinson

Parshvik Chintan
#18 Posted : 11/18/2011 10:45:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

TimePantry wrote:

"What that?"
"Dunno."
"Og SMASH!"

that seems like a relatively facile way to satirize advanced physics...
My wind instrument is the bong
CHANGA IN THE BONGA!

polytrip
#19 Posted : 11/19/2011 5:30:20 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Location: A speck of dust in endless space, like everyone else.
This laser has to be the ultimate fallic symbol. I bet bananaforeskin would want one.

The Traveler
#20 Posted : 11/20/2011 2:16:46 PM

"No, seriously"

Administrator | Skills: DMT, LSD, Programming

TimePantry wrote:
If they are talking about these "ghost particles" at all, they must have been observed in some way. If it can be obseved, chances ae very good that there is some ingenious way to detect it. (that doesn't involve tearing apart the very fabric of spacetime.)

Honestly, before they go building these gargantuan and possibly ill-advised experiments, I think they ought to open the question of detection up to the general public. I'd bet money that some 14-year-old kid somewhere would come up with a viable way to detect and/or analyze them.

(or a surf bum in Hawaii LOL)

Thats the thing, currently the only way we know how to observe these particles is with 'smashers' and other high energy machines. Due to the high local energy involved with the collision, the original atoms are torn apart into their smaller sub-particles. These sub-particles are thrown around in a so called 'bubble-chamber' where they can be detected.

These sub-particles normally do not exist on earth, so even if you have a detector for it, there are none to detect.

And if you think you have a better idea, then please share. I you don't then we are left with our current working ways of creating and detecting these particles.

Somehow, it is o-so easy for people who do not understand a principle to start bashing it. But in fact, if people start bashing something that they don't fully understand it only shows how ignorant they are on the subject. It is kind of strange that a person is so willing and proud to let the world know how non-smart they are.

It would look good on you if you did not share your ignorance on the subject in such a blunt way.

Kind regards,

The Traveler

123NEXT