We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
cleaning up fresh mimosa root Options

endlessness
#1 Posted : 11/21/2008 9:29:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

SWIM just got a couple of kilos of fresh mimosa roots from a friend up in the northeast (of Dreamland) and cleaned it, and thought it would be nice to share the work here

If you ever get fresh mimosa roots, they need to be cleaned. It is not the whole root used: Not the core, not the outer part, only the inner root bark

Here's how it looks at first. Notice the middle core is quite distinct from the rootbark. The outer part has a brown look:

Then the first thing is to scrub a bit the outside with a brush to remove the dirt. Then one needs to scrape the outer part a bit, which can be done with a good knife. Once you start scraping, you want to remove at least some of the outermost layer, getting to some more black-ish, purple-ish layer, as below:

Now that the outermost part is gone, you want to peel off the inner rootbark to separate from the core. This is easy, and can be done either with the hand straight away, or sometimes you need the help of a knife:

Here's the core that can be discarded.

The peeled inner rootbark now needs to dry. Now you have premium quality stuff.. Generally bad mimosa is not the species, but people mixing up the core or outer rootbark in the mix. The inner rootbark is alkaloid-rich.

in the end, out of 3kg, half of it were left.. Most of the discarded weight was from the inner core and a bit from the outer part. Now only the best is left

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

'Coatl
#2 Posted : 11/21/2008 9:44:11 PM

Teotzlcoatl

Awesome dude, thanks for posting!
WARNING: DO NOT INGEST ANY BOTANICAL WHICH YOU HAVE NOT FULLY RESEARCHED AND CORRECTLY IDENTIFIED!!!

I am Teotzlcoatl, older cousin of Quetzalcoatl. My most famous physical incarnation was Nezahualcoyotl, but I have taken many forms since the dawn of the cosmos. In this realm I manifest as multiple entities at a single time. I am many, I am numbered. I am few, but more than one. I am a multifaceted being, a winged serpent with many heads. We are Teotzlcoatl.

"We Are The One's We've Been Waiting For" - Hopi Proverb

amor_fati
#3 Posted : 11/21/2008 9:48:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

SWIY should try and determine the alkaloid content of the outer rootbark. Or has this already been done before?

endlessness
#4 Posted : 11/21/2008 10:25:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

thats a good question.. SWIM's friend has already done with outer bark (and also inner) but of the trunk, not of the root, and it was a very poor yield (maybe 0,15%), but SWIM wasnt there to check if he did it all propper Smile

Now SWIM already threw the rests in the garden, but next time he will try to get all the scrapped outer bark and make an extraction, see if he can get anything out

if it means anything, at least from the looks of it, it indeed doesnt seem to be alkaloid rich.. Its this very rough protective layer, seemingly much more rich in tannins (to protect it from biological threats) and fats, and also just earth that gets trapped, compared to the super nice purer looking purpleish inside.. but eye judgement is not a very objective measurement hehe... I guess there might be some alkaloids, but I also guess much more inactives that would probably require more thorough defat for getting a pure product

in any case, yes an analysis would be nice

Dwhitty76
#5 Posted : 11/22/2008 4:55:24 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Very Nice Post
" Freedom from the desire for an answer is essential to the understanding of a problem." - jiddu Krishnamurti

endlessness
#6 Posted : 11/22/2008 1:01:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

another reason why the outer bark must not have much alkaloids is because it is exposed. Since the alkaloids are water soluble, then surely when it rains, it must wash some of them in the outer part away.

If you ever try to cook a thicker strip of jurema, you will see that even cooking for long and pressing them, the inner parts dont even get wet sometimes! So to get most alkaloids out when cooking, it is important to strip it in thin layers and break in smaller pieces

Anyways, this is a fun job, working with jurema, but it is also very tough, just like it is a tough plant. Cleaning up fresh mimosa make's one hands all rough, even with cuts or blisters sometimes. And this is not the hard part! To actually take the root out of the plant is harder! With all the nasty thorns around, and very tough plant in general. In the northeast, people hire locals to do this job, as it is not for anyone.

Mimosa is a wonderful tree. It has the actives and ethnobotanical use. It has the medicinal properties to heal burns and cuts, and many others. It is also a very strong plant, that survives very adverse conditions, being one of the last plants to die even with the most severe droughts.

viva a jurema Smile