We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
I've got some testing questions.. Any Takers ? Options

fatmanscooby
#1 Posted : 10/27/2011 10:16:07 PM
DMT-Nexus member

How would I test a leaf/bark sample obtained in the wild with the Dragendorff's reagent ? or if there is a more suitable way to check potentially new species for spice viability

Will anyone be able to help identify any viable species from my not so great pictures that I take and upload to my open and publicly modifiable album ? https://plus.google.com/...bums/5654149351649842737

Taking into consideration the variety of spice containing species, I believe i should look at the acacia's if im ever going to find anything viable. Is anything bad likely to happen if i make a ayahuasca analogue out of the suspected specie + syrian rue (which i can get easily) ?

Thank you all for your efforts in building this great resource.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

bindu
#2 Posted : 10/28/2011 11:33:04 AM

maybe this is of your interest

dreamer042 wrote:
"C B Gold" wrote:

A simple test for indole-containing compounds and tryptamines is to crush a small piece of mushroom into 1/2 ounce of vodka or ethyl alcohol("denatured alcohol" or the hardware store "shellac thinner" is fine) and mix. Add 3-4 drops of hydrochloric acid(or the hardware store variety called, "muriatic acid"Pleased then drop a pine tree shaving into the solution which will turn "cherry red" in the presence of indoles.

http://www.erowid.org/pl...shrooms_article2-2.shtml

This test should work for most botanical materials, not just fungi, as a quick and simple way of field testing for indole and tryptamine like compounds.

blessed be all forms of intelligence

nen888
#3 Posted : 10/28/2011 12:57:23 PM
member for the trees

Acacia expert | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingSenior Member | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, Counselling

..there is some information on field-testing using silico-tungustic acid reagent here: post#48-entheogenic effects of nmt

also, endlessness kindly created this thread:Colorimetric test results (Marquis, Mecke, Ehrlich, etc) for different alkaloids

some reagents will better differentiate between different indoles than others...

fatmanscooby
#4 Posted : 10/29/2011 11:40:19 AM
DMT-Nexus member

bindu wrote:
maybe this is of your interest

dreamer042 wrote:
"C B Gold" wrote:

A simple test for indole-containing compounds and tryptamines is to crush a small piece of mushroom into 1/2 ounce of vodka or ethyl alcohol("denatured alcohol" or the hardware store "shellac thinner" is fine) and mix. Add 3-4 drops of hydrochloric acid(or the hardware store variety called, "muriatic acid"Pleased then drop a pine tree shaving into the solution which will turn "cherry red" in the presence of indoles.

http://www.erowid.org/pl...shrooms_article2-2.shtml

This test should work for most botanical materials, not just fungi, as a quick and simple way of field testing for indole and tryptamine like compounds.

TYSM ! I think now i can start exploring the wide bio-diversity of my area. Ill keep you posted on my findings

fatmanscooby
#5 Posted : 10/29/2011 11:50:28 AM
DMT-Nexus member

nen888 wrote:
..there is some information on field-testing using silico-tungustic acid reagent here: post#48-entheogenic effects of nmt

also, endlessness kindly created this thread:Colorimetric test results (Marquis, Mecke, Ehrlich, etc) for different alkaloids

some reagents will better differentiate between different indoles than others...

Thanks nen888 ! everything i need to know seems to be on this forum and that is great ! If you have a minute id like you to check out my album of photos to see if i already have something. Thanks again Very happy

Dozuki
#6 Posted : 11/8/2011 2:59:41 AM

Faustian Phytochem Investigator

Chemical expertSenior Member

Dragondorff or silicotungustic acid would both be ways to determine if plants in your area would contain alkaloids, however, colorametric tests alone would not be able to determine what those alkaloids are. TLC with colorametric visualization would get you closer, but not not with any absolute certainty. Comparison with known samples would get even one step closer...

Also, I have not been able to make the pine needle in HCl thing work... would love to hear of someone who has.

-D.

benzyme
#7 Posted : 11/8/2011 3:11:57 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

mass spec and nmr ftw.

the former in tandem mode can give structural information, and has the advantage of
requiring nanograms to low microgram quantities of sample. I've used it to id compounds in p.brachystachys.

yea, tlc plates are ok for qualitative work
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

Dozuki
#8 Posted : 11/8/2011 1:26:11 PM

Faustian Phytochem Investigator

Chemical expertSenior Member

Quote:
I've used it to id compounds in p.brachystachys

I would love to see those =)

-D.

benzyme
#9 Posted : 11/9/2011 12:47:24 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

G-13 classified information, mane
I tossed the spectra due to the highly sensitive nature of such things.
(with great power comes great responsibility)

the method was identical to the one I posted for the flowing visions THH investigation.
btw...LC-MS > GC-MS.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck