We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
Big Pharma and Vitamin D Options

universecannon
#1 Posted : 10/27/2011 9:56:01 PM

Moderator | Skills: harmalas, melatonin, trip advice, lucid dreaming

http://www.naturalnews.c...stitute_of_Medicine.html wrote:
(NaturalNews) Earlier this week, the Institute of Medicine finally got around to reluctantly admitting that people need more vitamin D. Raising the daily intake recommendation from 200 IUs to 600 IUs still leaves most people pitifully vitamin D deficient, and a flood of scientific research that has emerged over the last four years reveals that vitamin D deficiency causes cancer, osteoporosis, depression, diabetes, heart disease, kidney disorders and depression.

In other words, vitamin D deficiency is the cornerstone of the pharmaceutical industry's profit machine. Most of the really big money now being shoveled into the cancer industry and the drug companies comes from patients who are woefully deficient in vitamin D.

The Council for Responsible Nutrition (CRN), the dietary supplement industry's trade association, called the new vitamin D recommendations "a modest step in the right direction that fell short of truly capturing the extensive and positive research that has consistently supported the need for people to significantly raise their vitamin D levels." (http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...)

According to scientific studies, right now 70 percent of whites are deficient in vitamin D, and 97 percent of African Americans are deficient, resulting in outrageously higher rates of cancer among blacks compared to whites (http://www.naturalnews.com/030392_c...). The Institute of Medicine curiously claims such deficiencies do not exist, however.

Nutritionally-aware health professionals had hoped the Institute of Medicine might suggest raising the daily intake of vitamin D to a level that would actually help prevent cancer: 2000 IUs a day, or even as much as 4000 IUs a day. Most informed nutritionists right now recommend anywhere from 2000 IUs to 4000 IUs per day for adults, and the research on the connection between cancer and vitamin D is clear: Vitamin D prevents 77 percent of all cancers (http://www.naturalnews.com/021892.html).

But this is precisely why the Institute of Medicine absolutely cannot allow more vitamin D to be taken by the American people -- it would destroy the pharmaceutical industry's primary business model by making people well!

Government warns people not to take too much Vitamin D (seriously...)
And so today, even as it reluctantly adjusted the daily recommended intake to the 600 IU level (800 for the elderly), the Institute of Medicine issued a ridiculous warning against "megadosing" on vitamin D. (It considers a "mega dose" anything over 4000 IUs.)

The mainstream media even jumped on the bandwagon, reporting that anything over 10,000 IU can "cause kidney damage." And yet, doctors who know about vitamin D deficiency routinely prescribe 50,000 IUs a day for their patients to help them recover and restore their vitamin D back to healthy levels. (That amount is only safe for people who are severely deficient, by the way. NaturalNews agrees this is not a safe dose for a person who already has sufficient levels of vitamin D in their body.)

Dr Michael Holick, the vitamin D expert who has been routinely attacked by conventional medicine for educating people about vitamin D, takes 3,000 IUs a day himself. He's featured in a NaturalNews special report called The Healing Power of Sunlight and Vitamin D which can be downloaded for free at: http://www.naturalnews.com/rr-sunli...

The 600 IU level is a pitiful amount of vitamin D that's guaranteed to continue the epidemic of vitamin D deficiency in America. "This is a stunning disappointment," said Dr. Cedric Garland, one of the top researchers who has studied the ability of vitamin D to prevent cancer.

A massive vitamin D deficiency conspiracy among Big Pharma, Big Government and the mainstream media?
The real story in all this, by the way, is that there is a massive conspiracy to keep the American people vitamin D deficient for as long as possible. This conspiracy is achieved through the use of outright lies such as this whopper published by CBS News a few days ago: "While some people truly are deficient in vitamin D, the average person already has enough circulating in his or her blood. That's because we also make vitamin D from sun exposure, and because many people already take multivitamins or other D-containing dietary supplements."

This is, of course, a blatant lie. Most people don't take vitamin D supplements, and few people get any sunshine at all. The worst deficiency is, of course, among those with darker skin such as African Americans and, to some extent, Latinos and Asians, all of which are now suffering skyrocketing rates of cancer, diabetes and other diseases.

That the mainstream media (and the entire medical community) would lie to black people about vitamin D deficiency is no surprise: It was traditionally blacks who were chosen for Big Pharma's medical experiments throughout its nefarious history (http://www.naturalnews.com/019189.html).

And now, the American people are the experiment! The Institute of Medicine, Big Pharma and the FDA are all running a grand experiment entitled, "What happens if we keep all Americans -- but especially the blacks -- deficient in vitamin D?"

If you doubt the accuracy of that statement, consider the historical fact that the U.S. government conspired with the National Institute of Health to use Guatemalans as human guinea pigs in secret medical experiments for which President Obama was recently forced to apologize! (http://www.naturalnews.com/029924_m...)

Just as an explanation here, those with dark skin are far more likely to be vitamin D deficiency because dark skin pigmentation blocks the ultraviolet light that generates vitamin D in your skin. Watch my video here for a full explanation: http://naturalnews.tv/v.asp?v=5A62F...

The Institute of Medicine brazenly lied about vitamin D's effects on preventing cancer, stating on its website, "The IOM finds that the evidence supports a role for vitamin D and calcium in bone health but not in other health conditions. Further, emerging evidence indicates that too much of these nutrients may be harmful, challenging the concept that 'more is better.'"

In other words, the IOM wants you to believe that "more is NOT better" when it comes to vitamin D, even though most people are woefully deficient. This is a subtle way of telling people to avoid taking more vitamin D and thereby remain vitamin D deficient, which would of course keep people trapped in sickness and disease which generates huge profits for the pharmaceutical industry.

The vitamin D conspiracy is real. Government, Big Pharma and even some elements of the media are all scheming together to trap the American population in a state of lifelong vitamin D deficiency. But this conspiracy will ultimately fail because the nutritional science about vitamin D cannot be suppressed for much longer. Especially not if people inform themselves with nutritional knowledge by reading websites like this one.

Vitamin D is the nutrient that could collapse the cancer industry and destroy Big Pharma. That's why you need to keep learning about it and keep taking it to make sure your levels of vitamin D are high enough to prevent degenerative disease.

For the record, I do not sell vitamin D supplements of any kind, nor do I earn any kickbacks or commissions of any kind from vitamin D supplement companies.

I found this article (and i think this one ) over a year ago and was discussing it with people in the chat (benz comes to mind) who were already convinced that all this was going on.

The sun is the best mood lifter and health booster that i've ever experienced. I used to get the 'winter blues' every year until i started taking vitamin D when i couldn't get out in the sun during the cold months (we get 5+ ft of snow here sometimes!). It seemed to really help

So i'm curious, what are your thoughts on this?

<Ringworm>hehehe, it's all fun and games till someone loses an "I"

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

۩
#2 Posted : 10/27/2011 10:02:32 PM

This is incredibly fascinating stuff, universecannon! Thanks for the post.

Shaolin
#3 Posted : 10/27/2011 10:05:15 PM

Stiletto Stoner

I supplement. 5000K (starting with 10k for three months then test) of Country Life Vit D. 9$ for 200 pills.

Relying on the government about your health is a bit naive in my opinion so talking about conspiracy makes me doubt the source.

There is no cure-all whether are we talking about destruction of big pharma or illnesses.

Linkz !

Jack Kruse
PaleoHacks
Mark's Daily Apple

Got GVG ? Mhm. Got DMT ?

Pandora wrote:
Nexus enjoys cutting edge and ongoing superior programming skills of the owner of this site (The Traveler), including recent switching to the .me domain name.

I'm still, I'm still Jenny from the block

Simon Jester wrote:
"WTF n00b, buy the $100 vapor pipe or GTFO"

Ignorance of the law does not protect you from prosecution

joedirt
#4 Posted : 10/27/2011 10:21:51 PM

Not I

I take a good amount 5000-20000 of vitamin d about 4 times a week. Without a doubt I notice a bump in mood when I take the larger doses.

Peace
If your religion, faith, devotion, or self proclaimed spirituality is not directly leading to an increase in kindness, empathy, compassion and tolerance for others then you have been misled.

Global
#5 Posted : 10/27/2011 11:20:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Music, LSDMT, Egyptian Visions, DMT: Energetic/Holographic Phenomena, Integration, Trip Reports

۩ wrote:
This is incredibly fascinating stuff, universecannon! Thanks for the post.

Stole the words right out of my mouth.
"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind" - Albert Einstein

"The Mighty One appears, the horizon shines. Atum appears on the smell of his censing, the Sunshine- god has risen in the sky, the Mansion of the pyramidion is in joy and all its inmates are assembled, a voice calls out within the shrine, shouting reverberates around the Netherworld." - Egyptian Book of the Dead

"Man fears time, but time fears the Pyramids" - 9th century Arab proverb

Global
#6 Posted : 10/27/2011 11:21:22 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Music, LSDMT, Egyptian Visions, DMT: Energetic/Holographic Phenomena, Integration, Trip Reports

Also, I'm not really sure what an IUs is...how many milligrams are in an IUS?
"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind" - Albert Einstein

"The Mighty One appears, the horizon shines. Atum appears on the smell of his censing, the Sunshine- god has risen in the sky, the Mansion of the pyramidion is in joy and all its inmates are assembled, a voice calls out within the shrine, shouting reverberates around the Netherworld." - Egyptian Book of the Dead

BecometheOther
#7 Posted : 10/27/2011 11:29:08 PM

metamorhpasizer

Yes im not sure about IUs either?

Also what foods are rich in vitamin D?
You have never been apart from me. You can never depart and never return, for we are continuous, indistinguishable. We are eternal forever

universecannon
#8 Posted : 10/27/2011 11:36:06 PM

"Basically, mg is mass, IU is effect.

Milligrams (mg) are a measure of mass (or weight, which on planet Earth is roughly the same thing.) A milligram is one thousandth of a gram.

International Units (IU) are a measure based on the biological activity of a substance in the body. These units are arbitrarily set by a committee of researchers commissioned by the World Health Organization. The goal is to provide a measure of the effect on the body a substance will have regardless of its mass.

There are, for example, 22 IU of insulin is equivalent to 1 milligram of dry, pure, crystalline insulin. "

i take about 10000 5 times a week and noticed a big different between that and a lower dose as well joedirt. i also get less colds and flus now than ever before, although its hard to tell the direct cause of that because my diet is a lot different now and my mind in many ways..but i think its had an affect..i eat mostly just fruit veggies and nuts so i don't get much vitamin D from my diet i think

Generally if i'm sick vitD helps me feel a lot better..one example: I remember when i was very young i got pneumonia and was deathly ill for a few days..at the end of the week i was still in horrible shape, and i couldn't even stand in the airport while waiting for the plane to take us to mexico. i felt almost a 100% back to normal the next day after napping on the beach in the sun for hours and hours Smile Obviously spending hours napping in the sun is a lot different than just eating a supplement, but i think it still helps. i hear vitd is used by every tissue in our bodies..

Mitakuye Oyasin
#9 Posted : 10/28/2011 12:21:49 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Test Values and Treatment for Vitamin D Deficiency
http://articles.mercola....deficiency-part-one.aspx

Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous.
— Terence McKenna

All my posts are hypothetical and for educational/entertainment purposes, and are not an endorsement of said activities. SWIM (a fictional character based on other people) either obtained a license for said activity, did said activity where it is legal to do so, or as in most cases the activity is completely fictional.

corpus callosum
#10 Posted : 10/28/2011 6:23:52 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Medical DoctorModerator

Good thread!!

Vitamin D is a contentious topic in the medical world and deficiency is very common indeed.But simply determining a 'blood level' to determine deficiency is problematic, unless your level is very low in which case one can conclusively say that deficiency exists.But its been shown that the normal range is a little arbitrary and other factors need to be considered to get a better idea of 'physiological effects'.

My personal opinion is the calcium/vit D preps commonly used are light on the vit D and people can certainly handle more.Many of the studies meta-analysed to reach the present consensus do have flaws and without doubt the subject needs more work to clarify optimum levels of supplementation and then the effects on disease processes like cancer can be determined.More recently, calcium supplements have been shown to be associated with accelerated atherosclerosis but again, more work is required.

Heres a fair overview of the relationship between vit D and different cancers; do note the repeated methodological caveats:

http://www.cancer.gov/ca...eet/prevention/vitamin-D

Its undoubtedly the case that too much vit D (and the exact level again is a bit vague) can cause hypercalcemia with the consequence of depressive symptoms or cognitive impairment, kidney stones, gastrointestinal symptoms etc.Also, conditions such as sarcoidosis can produce hypercalcemia through the mechanism of producing vitamin D-like compounds.

I wouldnt be surprised if more vit D were to be beneficial but better more carefully devised studies are required to clarify this.
I am paranoid of my brain. It thinks all the time, even when I'm asleep. My thoughts assail me. Murderous lechers they are. Thought is the assassin of thought. Like a man stabbing himself with one hand while the other hand tries to stop the blade. Like an explosion that destroys the detonator. I am paranoid of my brain. It makes me unsettled and ill at ease. Makes me chase my tail, freezes my eyes and shuts me down. Watches me. Eats my head. It destroys me.

Shaolin
#11 Posted : 10/28/2011 9:06:32 AM

Stiletto Stoner

Global, Harmalosa. Vitamin D content will (almost) always be shown as IU. 1 μg (microgram) = 40 International Units (IU) (from CC's link). The conversion varies from substance to substance.

You can't get enough (5/10K winter time) Vitamin D from food. Nutrition data numbers. http://nutritiondata.sel...02000000000000000-w.html
Got GVG ? Mhm. Got DMT ?

Pandora wrote:
Nexus enjoys cutting edge and ongoing superior programming skills of the owner of this site (The Traveler), including recent switching to the .me domain name.

I'm still, I'm still Jenny from the block

Simon Jester wrote:
"WTF n00b, buy the $100 vapor pipe or GTFO"

Ignorance of the law does not protect you from prosecution

Global
#12 Posted : 10/28/2011 3:30:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Shaolin wrote:
Global, Harmalosa. Vitamin D content will (almost) always be shown as IU. 1 μg (microgram) = 40 International Units (IU) (from CC's link). The conversion varies from substance to substance.

You can't get enough (5/10K winter time) Vitamin D from food. Nutrition data numbers. http://nutritiondata.sel...02000000000000000-w.html

So let me see if I got this conversion right: 1 microgram = 40 IUs; therefore 1mg = 40,000 IUs? This sounds inherently wrong based on the numbers they give in the original post and the dosage size in milligrams that Vitamin D tends to come in.

Felnik
#13 Posted : 10/28/2011 3:53:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Vitamin D is a huge thing for me personally
I take it every day . I notice major mood problems when I
Stop taking it for a few days .

My natural Dr had a patient that was literally suicidal
From low levels of vitamin D
The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
Arthur C. Clarke

http://vimeo.com/32001208

jamie
#14 Posted : 10/28/2011 5:01:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

What else should we expect of big pharma? you think they are working to save your ass?

I dont take vitamin D supplements. I was under the impression they were not really bioavailable anyway..is that true? I just go outside alot. Some seeds and mushrooms are high sources of the vitamin as well. I eat enough foods that store vitamin D I think and in the summer I am in the full sun skimboarding usually at least an hour a day sometimes many hours. So many people I think do not go outside enough. Even mid winter..I like to be outside for some of the day. In the winter I skim with my wetsuit though so obviously dont absorb as much.

I take alot of kelp as well and it contains vitamin D.
Long live the unwoke.

Ginkgo
#15 Posted : 10/28/2011 5:30:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Why take vitamin D pills when all you need to produce vitamin D is to expose your skin to sun? This is just big pharma trying to be even bigger pharma, if you ask me...

jamie
#16 Posted : 10/28/2011 6:03:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

^ I agree. I mean we never needed them before we had them. If you eat the way humans are designed to eat and spent time outdoors I dont think you should need vitamine D supplents..unless maybe you live in the arctic..I dont really think people evolved to live in the arctic so there might be some problems there with vitamine D either way with like months of darkness and no sunlight.

This is just like the RDA for vitamin C. It is rediculous. Chimps get like 10g a day sometimes with a diet leaning towards fruitarian..when I see 100 or even 500mg vitamin C supplements I think deficiency. Even 1g of vitamin C is not enough if that is how you are trying to get the stuff. People need to learn what real food is about. The RDA for vitamin C is so low that people just cant be living in full health with such low ammounts. The RDA is like the bare minimum needed to get by.
Long live the unwoke.

universecannon
#17 Posted : 10/28/2011 6:12:34 PM

i've been working on looking for natural sources, but if you guys check the link Shaolin posted you'll realize the amounts of vitamin D in most foods are extremely low. For example Fractal you mentioned mushrooms high in vitamin D, but according to this the highest amount any have is 27IU..although the accuracy and thoroughness of this is debatable- even if the numbers were 4 times that, its still not much at all.

in the summer its no problem and i get tons of sun.. however being in an area with nearly constant lake effect snow in winter, which is below zero for several months (yea i need to move i know Razz ), and with a job and other obligations, its hard to get out in the sun (on the days its even out)..and even then, how much am i even getting with only some of my face exposed and thats it? not much at all. Considering all this, it seems pretty logical to take vitaminD in the winter for me at least

universecannon
#18 Posted : 10/28/2011 6:20:49 PM

Yeah the whole vitamin C thing is another whole insane ball of wax we could get into. And go figure the recommended amounts for adults in the US was 53mg last time i checked..thats just enough to prevent scurvy! Our ancestors took WAY more than that..thousands and thousands of mg..

i mean its a powerful anti-oxidant that is actually concentrated 100times more around the brain than the rest of the body, so its extremely important. We're doing research on stress and food in psychology and one studied found that when they gave people 3grams of vitamin C three times a day for just two weeks their stress levels were significantly lower than the group who didn't receive any during public speaking experiments. theres tons of research like this on its positive affects and yet most people barely get any of the stuff

jamie
#19 Posted : 10/28/2011 6:23:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

apparently if you get enough sun in the summer your body will store vitamin D throughout the winter. I think it is normal to have less vitamin D available in the winter months.

I have taken supplements in the past..but I never felt anything like how I feel now just eating tons of raw foods like lots of fruits and seeds and seaweeds and veggies etc. I guess if I felt like I was lacking it I would take some supplements.

This is interesting abotu vitamin C and stress. I bet most people are vitamin C deficient. I know it can cause alot of problems. Before I went raw and started eating fruits all day long I was taking 12000mg of calcium ascorbate some days and honestly I couldnt believe how good that felt. Those bottles full of 100 or 500mg pills are just garbage. Big money for big pharma...you would need like half the freaking bottle to reach a reasonable dose. Big pharma supports brain damage.
Long live the unwoke.

corpus callosum
#20 Posted : 10/28/2011 6:34:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Medical DoctorModerator

For a Caucasian they say that 15 minutes of decent sunlight exposure/day is enough to provide the amount of vitamin D required per day.

Its important to be aware that Vitamin D actually comprises of Vit D3 ie CHOLECALCIFEROL and Vit D2 ie ERGOCALCIFEROL; replacement therapy usually consists of D3.

And yes, 1mcg of Vitamin D3=40iu.
I am paranoid of my brain. It thinks all the time, even when I'm asleep. My thoughts assail me. Murderous lechers they are. Thought is the assassin of thought. Like a man stabbing himself with one hand while the other hand tries to stop the blade. Like an explosion that destroys the detonator. I am paranoid of my brain. It makes me unsettled and ill at ease. Makes me chase my tail, freezes my eyes and shuts me down. Watches me. Eats my head. It destroys me.

12NEXT