We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV123NEXT
Phthalates: Warning to those using plastic containers/instruments in extractions Options

endlessness
#21 Posted : 2/14/2012 10:35:52 AM

DMT-Nexus member

DeMenTed wrote:
http://www.calpaclab.com/pages/chart.html

Hdpe2 has no reaction with acids or bases and doesnt degrade with aliphatic hydrocarbons for at least 30 days. If im wrong please point out my mistake Smile

polypropylene seems to be fine and so does hdpe2

What you must understand, as I said in the original post, is that "seems fine" is not really good enough to base yourself on, if you really care about health, IMO. Regarding hydrocarbons not degrading HDPE for at least 30 days, the thing is that this is based on whether the container will be significantly damaged

Like lets say you want to transport some gasoline in an hdpe container for your car, you dont want the container to leak.. But to your car it doesnt matter at all if there are traces of phthalates or plastic monomers, while to your body it does. They might put its no significant damage to the container in 30 days but that doesnt mean its not leeching small amounts of plastic that is significant enough to your health, Also read quote below from abused toaster and benzyme's answer regarding macroscopically-invisible but real leaching.

Coastal_Shaman wrote:
Since I already did my first extraction before this thread came out I guess I will be using glass in the future instead of plastic. That won't be for a couple more years atleast though and I'm deffinetly not going to be discarding the spice I have now

No need to discard it, as I mentioned before, you can for example redissolve your spice in acetone, precipitate with FASA, wash it with a bit of cold dry acetone after its crystallized and harvested, and later reconvert it back to freebase

narmz wrote:

I think that HDPE is relatively safe for use in extractions during the base stage, and if you re-crystallize your fumarates in IPA - or use some sort of polar solvent somewhere along the line, phthalate contamination shouldn't be an issue.

Recrysallizing fumarates with IPA/Acetone is a good way, yes, thats what I meant in the first post. But im not sure if using HDPE is really safe if this isnt done and its just a simple solvent pull done. I mean, it might be its so small amounts that it wouldnt affect too badly your health, but maybe long term it does, so I would say better be careful, no?

And, here's a few relevant quotes from another thread:

benzyme wrote:
not all plastics have phthalates, but other monomers may be leeched into the solvent.

benzyme wrote:
abusedtoaster wrote:

what about a rubber seal?

rubber is comprised mostly of nonpolar molecules; organic solvents are more destructive to rubber than aqueous base.

benzyme wrote:
(regarding mason jar glass) it's safe for a quick extraction, but don't store very basic liquids in it; silicates will complex with the cations of the dissociated base (the so-called etching)

benzyme wrote:
DudeMeetTyler wrote:

benzyme.. do you foresee any problems using a tinfoil "lid" for freeze precipitations?

nope.

benzyme wrote:

abusedtoaster wrote:
from everything thats been posted, i dont think hdpe is safe, if if it corrodes in months, its corroding immediately, just not noticeably.

exactly. you may not be able to detect it, but a mass spec would. it would show a pattern of repeating units in the mid-high range (in an ion-trap mass spec)

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

DeMenTed
#22 Posted : 2/14/2012 6:31:19 PM

Barry

Good quality glass is defo what i would prefer.

Milk jugs are just so easy to get and cheap and recyclable.

The base or solvent isnt in there for any longer than a few days so i dont think many baddies will be getting into the final product but i do hear ya Smile

i'll get glass one day.

smokerx
#23 Posted : 2/14/2012 7:46:32 PM

ThGiL fO TiRipS

Ok reading all this I am now concern about my health. I always used plastic containers to do extraction.

Could we have some special thread opened about where to get some good glass containers for extraction ? Some US and UK , Europe suppliers ?

What do you think ?

For example I found something like this or this. Which one of these would be good for job ?
We are each of us angels with only one wing, and we can only fly by embracing one another.

We are all living in our own feces.

smokerx
#24 Posted : 2/16/2012 12:41:59 AM

ThGiL fO TiRipS

smokerx wrote:
For example I found something like this or this. Which one of these would be good for job ?

Any comment on these ?
We are each of us angels with only one wing, and we can only fly by embracing one another.

We are all living in our own feces.

DudeMeetTyler
#25 Posted : 2/16/2012 2:50:21 AM

DMT-Nexus member

smokerx wrote:
smokerx wrote:

Any comment on these ?

both look fine, nice sturdy glass, though the lid looks plastic, wouldnt want to store any solvents in it

depends what your trying to do with them though i suppose.. solvent layer may be thin if your trying to separate with a baster or something but to mix base/np in then pour into a sep funnel would definitely work
"If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be a sorry state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny"

"My orders were to test the drug...It works" Bass Association by Far Too Loud

Profile Picture by David Aronson, http://www.alchemicalwedding.com/index.html

DoingKermit
#26 Posted : 2/16/2012 2:33:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thank you for this invaluable info, Endlessness. I have been using HDPE milk jugs since I started doing A/B's and am definitely going back to using glass mason jars. Better to be safe than sorry!

Rivea
#27 Posted : 4/29/2012 1:36:13 AM

No.. that can't be...

Senior Member | Skills: Harmalas, A/B Extraction, Sonication, Sterile Processing, Hardware design, Craftsman

My holistic doctor says to avoid buying products in containers with phthalates. Not all plastics have them, but many do. However I play it safe and avoid buying food or drinks in plastic containers.

As for extractions I use glassware. It is not that expensive and it is reusable many times.
Everything mentioned herein has been deemed by our staff of expert psychiatrists to be the delusional rantings of a madman who has been treated with Thorazine who is hospitalized within the confines of our locked facility. This patient sometimes requires the application of 6 point leather restraints and electrodes at the temples to break his delusions. Therefore, take everything mentioned above with a grain of salt...

DMTripper
#28 Posted : 4/29/2012 3:56:57 AM

John Murdoch IV

I've always used glass but lye can dissolve glass so I've been thinking to use plastic next time. But I think I'll stick with glass.

And b.t.w. does lye dissolve all glass?
––––––

DMTripper is a fictional character therefore everything he says here must be fiction.
I mean, who really believes there is such a place as Hyperspace!!

Electric Kool-Aid
#29 Posted : 4/29/2012 10:22:59 AM

Explorer, Creative and Curious

DMTripper wrote:
I've always used glass but lye can dissolve glass so I've been thinking to use plastic next time. But I think I'll stick with glass.

It etches glass. So only use the container a couple of times. Etching is like scratching and can shatter glass.
Done: THC - LSD - MESC - MDMA - Shrooms - DMT / Want:Hyperspace travel - World Peace
Respect, intention, meditation, inhalation, observation, analyzation, respect.

Shaolin
#30 Posted : 4/29/2012 12:42:37 PM

Stiletto Stoner

Electric Kool-Aid wrote:
DMTripper wrote:

It etches glass. So only use the container a couple of times. Etching is like scratching and can shatter glass.

Concentration of the solution and the duration of the exposure are key here. Using a basified solution in a separatory funnel doesn't worry me nor does the beforehand preparation of a NaOH solution in glass container.
Got GVG ? Mhm. Got DMT ?

Pandora wrote:
Nexus enjoys cutting edge and ongoing superior programming skills of the owner of this site (The Traveler), including recent switching to the .me domain name.

I'm still, I'm still Jenny from the block

Simon Jester wrote:
"WTF n00b, buy the $100 vapor pipe or GTFO"

Ignorance of the law does not protect you from prosecution

Doodazzle
#31 Posted : 4/29/2012 3:41:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Rivea wrote:
My holistic doctor says to avoid buying products in containers with phthalates. Not all plastics have them, but many do. However I play it safe and avoid buying food or drinks in plastic containers.

As for extractions I use glassware. It is not that expensive and it is reusable many times.

Rivea, you are a genius and a diamond in the rough.

There is an island of garbage out there in the ocean, apparently it is pretty huge, most of course is plastic. Stop buying plastic dummy. Very simple people, very very simple.

Especially do not use plastic in your spice extractions--hyperspace is (well it might be) a shared dimension inhabited by sentient beings from many worlds. Some of these entities see what we've done to our world and think we are stupid monkeys...we psycho-naughts must be good ambassadors. Taking the same plastic which is such an embarrassment for our planet and using it as a vehicle for spice extraction...not cool. Conduct yourself with dignity.

"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods." Albert Einstein

I appreciate your perspective.

tony
#32 Posted : 4/29/2012 7:40:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Bedazzle wrote:
Stop buying plastic dummy. Very simple people, very very simple.

Presumably you typed that on a wooden keyboard? Razz
-Я Ξ √ Ω L U T ↑ Ø N-

DeMenTed
#33 Posted : 4/29/2012 11:03:14 PM

Barry

If these phthalates transfer into the dmt would an sc wash and/or re-x get rid of the nasties?

Or as endless says it needs a/b

Luuk
#34 Posted : 5/17/2012 5:30:49 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Freeze precipitating would greatly reduce the amount of phtalates that end up in your final product vs evaporating right? If they don't precipitate out I can't imagine them being in harmful concentrations.
I'm still gonna switch to glass someday to be sure, but I've already had a glass jar with highly basic solution break in my hands. Jay for lab protection!

SLiCeR
#35 Posted : 5/18/2012 9:56:02 AM

SLiCeR

MySmelf wrote:
Caravel wrote:
as long as your not wanting pyrex you can get lab glass so cheap it almost shocks me to think that anyone would even think of using something other than glass i mean hell you can buy a full extraction kit of lab glass for like 50 bucks blastic is a dangerous hastle i dont understand why anyone would even attempt to use it

only reason people seem to want pyrex is because so many claim its the "best" the only reason that professional labs use pyrex is incase they are making extremely exothermic or violent reactions that day pyrex is a safty issue -- for organic extraction you would never need anything pyrex pyrex is just an over priced brandname for us - and if your buying the non-brand name your only spending $4 on a beaker and $20 on a sep funnle amazes me people use plastic it really does - not to mention once you get your base set which would cost about 40-60 dollars a few months down the road you could spend 30 more and you'll have everything you need to make lab grade purity - or buy a jacketed water condencer and your instantly into high quality distilling - anyone ever tried to filter a liquid.. say 1 liter in 20 seconds with a high purity filter not gonna happen with your plastic jug and coffee filter.. its called a $15 vaccuum/filtering flask

sorry for the semi-rant but i just dont see the point in using anything less than glass

My pyrex beakers and erlenmeyer flasks were about $4 each. Lab glass in general isn't very expensive even Pyrex stuff, I tend to prefer the way pyrex makes their glassware. Much better than say Kimex. But I also have some nice Sibata pieces that I really like.

You should add a glass buchner funnel with fritted glass filter to that vacuum flask. This is my favorite way to collect my freeze precipitated crystals and the vacuum dries them super fast!

How do you go about getting the crystals out of the buchner funnel? i have a 35ml one but i imagine alot of the crystals getting stuck to the fritted disk no?

SLiCeR
#36 Posted : 5/21/2012 4:28:24 AM

SLiCeR

I expect putting your acid cook in these containers (when not proceeding with extraction till later) should be ok considering the vinegar Comes in HDPE?

benzyme
#37 Posted : 5/21/2012 4:43:19 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

DeMenTed wrote:
If these phthalates transfer into the dmt would an sc wash and/or re-x get rid of the nasties?

Or as endless says it needs a/b

nope.
convert to a salt, wash with acetone.

I'd be more concerned with BPA plastics. BPA has a higher health rating.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

Intezam
#38 Posted : 10/3/2014 7:33:30 AM

DMT-Nexus member

PET bottles are made from DMT and ethylene glycol? What about pickle jars - there's something rubbery under the lid - what is that....and would it be safe to use, if the NP does not have direct contact with it (no shaking)?

We think we'll settle for the borosilicate 2000ml then..

sleepermustawaken
#39 Posted : 10/4/2015 3:05:56 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I am curious to know how much phthalates or other compounds would leach in to the naphtha while being in contact for only 15-20 minutes? Would it be enough to be of concern? How much would leach in to a microwave dinner that has been heated slightly more than it should have been? Is this a serious enouugh threat to our endocrine system to even worry about? Who needs an endocrine system anyway? That last one is jjks

Thanks for the tip on washing the fumarates though, what if the fumarates are large crystals though? Could you mix with water and evap both of them at the same time and keep adding acetone until there is no water left?

1ce
#40 Posted : 10/4/2015 4:26:10 AM

Communications-Security Analyst

Caravel wrote:
as long as your not wanting pyrex you can get lab glass so cheap it almost shocks me to think that anyone would even think of using something other than glass i mean hell you can buy a full extraction kit of lab glass for like 50 bucks blastic is a dangerous hastle i dont understand why anyone would even attempt to use it

only reason people seem to want pyrex is because so many claim its the "best" the only reason that professional labs use pyrex is incase they are making extremely exothermic or violent reactions that day pyrex is a safty issue -- for organic extraction you would never need anything pyrex pyrex is just an over priced brandname for us - and if your buying the non-brand name your only spending $4 on a beaker and $20 on a sep funnle amazes me people use plastic it really does - not to mention once you get your base set which would cost about 40-60 dollars a few months down the road you could spend 30 more and you'll have everything you need to make lab grade purity - or buy a jacketed water condencer and your instantly into high quality distilling - anyone ever tried to filter a liquid.. say 1 liter in 20 seconds with a high purity filter not gonna happen with your plastic jug and coffee filter.. its called a $15 vaccuum/filtering flask

sorry for the semi-rant but i just dont see the point in using anything less than glass

Half my crap is pyrex :c

But to expand on this, you can find cheap brands like seoh, bomex, lab-boy, and labzap for dirty dirt cheap off amazon. I've found lab-boy equipment for 30$ where the kimax or pyrex version was almost 200. Just look to see if it is 'borosilicate' glass, and not 'soda-lime'.

Walmart.com carries chemglass, what's your excuse?

PREV123NEXT