We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Mimosa prep Options

Agave
#1 Posted : 10/17/2011 12:16:07 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi folks, just wondering if I'm brewing in the most efficient way. I boil my mimosa twice for about 50 min each and also strain twice through a pretty coarsely woven fabric. I let it cool and settle for about 20 min. and decant off. Then back on the stove to reduce. I then pour it into a jar and let it settle overnight in the fridge. then I either decant it again or just leave it in the jar and spoon out the clear liquid when I'm ready to dose. Problem is that it requires at least 8 g. to attain lift off. I always seem to err on the side of too light. I'm hoping that I'm just hard headed and not wasting material due to brewing technique. Any thoughts or tips or does that dose sound pretty normal? I've usually used chacruna in the past. Thanks
As Within, So Without.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

purple_dye
#2 Posted : 10/17/2011 4:55:26 AM

DMT-Nexus member

From what I understand, if you put a dash of vinegar in the mix while boiling you will have better results. 8g sounds like a lot to me to just barely be getting effects assuming your using some sort of maoi. is this the case?
PS

This is what the alphabet would look like if Q and R were missing

۩
#3 Posted : 10/17/2011 4:58:25 AM

Vinegar, or any acid really, ruins the taste of the brew and is not advised. You only need an acid if you are trying to brew really quickly. 2x 50 sounds sufficient, but maybe next time try 3x 30. Another wash of water may pull more alkaloids it may not, experiment.

Your increase in dose size I think is due to your decanting steps. Because you went to such lengths to have a clear brew, you probably also left some actives behind. This would be my guess.

Agave
#4 Posted : 10/17/2011 5:34:02 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Actually I do use just a little vineger to bump the ph up because my water is more on the alkaline side. I've always kind of wondered if there is a lot of actives still in the sediment. I don't mind if my caapi brew is a little muddy but was under the impression that the mimosa should be as clear as possible, though I'm not sure I remember why it needs to be now. Nevertheless, I'll give 3 washes at shorter duration a try. It could also be that my mimosa simply isn't top notch.
As Within, So Without.