We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Poll Question : Should the Google ads stay to support DMT-Nexus?
Choice Votes Statistics
Yes, the google ads should stay 12 66 %
Yes, but in another form 3 16 %
No, the google ads should be removed 3 16 %
No, I have a better idea 0 0 %

Google ads Options

The Traveler
#1 Posted : 11/15/2008 2:16:47 PM

"No, seriously"

Administrator | Skills: DMT, LSD, Programming

Hello all members,

As you might have seen I've added a so called "sponser" link at every second post in a thread. As this might upset some people let me explain why I did this and you can also vote if you think it should stay or not.

Over the past few years the DMT-Nexus has grown from a tiny site to one of the bigger DMT sites. In the beginning the DMT-Nexus was just one of the sites served at my server, nowadays it's by far the biggest with an average bandwidth consumpsion of about 200GB a month, for comparison: the second biggest only consumes a few GB's a month.

In the meantime the cost for maintaining the server has risen due to increasing energy costs and the time it takes me to keep the server running. Once in a while the hardware has to be replaced, the disks have to be checked, or when for example the server is struck by a virus, I have to reconfigure the whole server.

Also, in time I want to increase the uptime of the server by adding a second server that can take over in case the first one is down, this also comes at increased cost.

So it all boils down to increased costs at my side so I hope you understand that with the google ads I try to get a little extra to make things for the better.

Now since I made this little statement I ask you to vote for this change, you can vote yes or no and give extra idea's maybe someone has a golden idea? E.g.: a while back someone suggested selling T-shirt aand the sorts.

Please let me know what you think.

Kind regards,

The Traveler

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

endlessness
#2 Posted : 11/15/2008 2:30:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

how about only have the ads for unregistered/not-logged-in people, and when you log in there are no ads?

Infundibulum
#3 Posted : 11/15/2008 3:31:31 PM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

Anything that is necessary to support the nexus, count me in. I am confident that advertisements will be posted so as to result in the least nuisance. But I currently find the ads in every second post a bit annoying.

I remember some discussions about donating money directly to the nexus, what happened with this idea? There has to be a way where anonymity won't be revealed.

T-shirts or selling stuff is not a good idea in my opinion since it takes lots of effort and increased responsibilities to maintain a retail sector.

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

rellik
#4 Posted : 11/15/2008 3:31:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I dont find them too obtrusive, the site should be generating some $ to run itself.
all of my posts are fictional. please interpret them as such.

Infundibulum
#5 Posted : 11/15/2008 3:35:47 PM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

Silly me, I interpreted "every second post" as "every two posts".

No, the current way of advertising looks totally fine, I'll stay with that if that helps.

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

travinski
#6 Posted : 11/15/2008 3:36:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

ya im fine with it too an ad here or there doesnt bother me and almost every page on the net has one anyways. if thats what it takes then hey gitter done. its not like your trying to get rich off of this and even if you were who cares this is a great site
travinski is an alter ego and not a real person, i also like to play dress up when im not playing fictional chemist

Jorkest
#7 Posted : 11/15/2008 3:38:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Extraction Troubleshooting, (S)elf ProgrammingChemical expert | Skills: Extraction Troubleshooting, (S)elf Programming

well keep them this way for now..and if we want a change..you could just move them around a bit
it's a sound

Dwhitty76
#8 Posted : 11/15/2008 5:49:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

hey trav,

I know economic times are rough and we need to come up with a way to help support the nexus (financially) but these advertisements on the trreads are a little much.

I definately have a deep appreciation and grattitude for the hardwork you put into this forum so us swimmers have a place to swim....i just think that if all of us contributed $ in some way (which i would defianely do), we might be able to avoid this annoying sitch.

I dont know if you already posted it somewhere but why dont you just break down what the monthly expenses are... and how much $ is needed to keep the forum afloat?.

Just like any autonimous group/fellowship or whatever..take monthy donations and hopefully try and build a surpluss of funds to help w/ further "cyber rent/maintenance"

There has got to be another way than these advertisements.

Once again trev,thank you for all your hard work Wink

i believe WE can make things happen as a group and it might be easier for us to help if we knew what it takes to keep the nexus up ($)

At the end of the day, just want to see this place survive but if we could come up with a better way....
" Freedom from the desire for an answer is essential to the understanding of a problem." - jiddu Krishnamurti

Dwhitty76
#9 Posted : 11/15/2008 5:55:39 PM

DMT-Nexus member

shite !!!

i accidently voted for keeping the ads staying the way they are,if you can takke that in mind trav. I'm a dumbass Laughing
" Freedom from the desire for an answer is essential to the understanding of a problem." - jiddu Krishnamurti

Entropymancer
#10 Posted : 11/15/2008 6:23:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumModerator | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumChemical expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumSenior Member | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorum

The ads are fine, but what about moving them above all the posts, either just below the Nexus logo or the "Logged In" bar? That way they're still entirely visible, but they don't break up the flow of the thread?

'Coatl
#11 Posted : 11/15/2008 10:32:16 PM

Teotzlcoatl

I think the ads are fine as long as they don't increase from where the are now.

I suggest you start a donations thread, as I and I'm sure some other members would be glad to donate some money.

Did y'all see my support the community thread?
WARNING: DO NOT INGEST ANY BOTANICAL WHICH YOU HAVE NOT FULLY RESEARCHED AND CORRECTLY IDENTIFIED!!!

I am Teotzlcoatl, older cousin of Quetzalcoatl. My most famous physical incarnation was Nezahualcoyotl, but I have taken many forms since the dawn of the cosmos. In this realm I manifest as multiple entities at a single time. I am many, I am numbered. I am few, but more than one. I am a multifaceted being, a winged serpent with many heads. We are Teotzlcoatl.

"We Are The One's We've Been Waiting For" - Hopi Proverb

DMTripper
#12 Posted : 11/15/2008 10:36:13 PM

John Murdoch IV

Doesn't bother me. I just don't read them Razz
โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“

DMTripper is a fictional character therefore everything he says here must be fiction.
I mean, who really believes there is such a place as Hyperspace!!

Reborn
#13 Posted : 11/16/2008 6:13:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

In an old forum I was in we had the same thing.
We were encouraged to click on them to help generate revenue,
it got out of control with just the members clicking them a few times (20-30) a day and immediatly closing the links. Google figured this out and cancled the agreement and took away the ads! This was long ago though don't know exactly how it works now though but just a word to the wise.

The ads do not bother me at all and who know some might be useful.
Memory, prophecy and fantasy
-the past, the future and the dreaming moment between -
are all in one country, living one immortal day.
To know that is Wisdom. To use it is the Art.

'Coatl
#14 Posted : 11/17/2008 6:33:50 AM

Teotzlcoatl

Do they advertise like... what your talking about in the thread? how does it work?

We got DiamondNexusLabs.com showing up alot...
WARNING: DO NOT INGEST ANY BOTANICAL WHICH YOU HAVE NOT FULLY RESEARCHED AND CORRECTLY IDENTIFIED!!!

I am Teotzlcoatl, older cousin of Quetzalcoatl. My most famous physical incarnation was Nezahualcoyotl, but I have taken many forms since the dawn of the cosmos. In this realm I manifest as multiple entities at a single time. I am many, I am numbered. I am few, but more than one. I am a multifaceted being, a winged serpent with many heads. We are Teotzlcoatl.

"We Are The One's We've Been Waiting For" - Hopi Proverb

69ron
#15 Posted : 11/17/2008 8:37:51 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I have no problem with the ads at all. You never know when some ad might have just the thing you've been looking for.

I think it's great if you're making a little extra money with it.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

ohayoco
#16 Posted : 11/17/2008 10:21:49 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I like them. I think it's funny when ads for companies come up who would probably be aghast to know they were advertising on this site!
And it makes me laugh when ones with names like "D.M.T. Electrical" come up.

You need to pay for the site and should be rewarded for your hard work. They're quite tastefully placed... not plastered down the sides and everywhere else like the rest of the internet. I would only ever be dubious if like other sites you had sponsors that started censoring, by not letting people discuss other suppliers or advise against rubbish sponsors. That sucks, I came across it on another drug forum and immediately left.

I will buy a T-shirt if you want to make them! Dark charcoal grey, retro fit, with the pic from the 'fun' page on. But I doubt you'd be making much money off them, I wonder if there's enough spicers in the world to sell them to?
Everything I write is fictional roleplay. Obviously! End tribal genocide: www.survival-international.org Quick petitions for meaningful change: www.avaaz.org/en/
End prohibition: www.leap.cc www.tdpf.org.uk And "Feeling Good" by David D.Burns MD is a very useful book.

tryptographer
#17 Posted : 11/20/2008 6:44:14 PM

tryptamine photographer

Hm, anything to keep the best dmt-site in the world going, but...I never liked advertising and don't like the ads. Frankly, I'd rather donate something!