We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Do you brew with the lid on? Options

teotenakeltje
#1 Posted : 10/2/2011 7:23:22 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I think it is more efficient to let the lid on while brewing:

-you don't have to put the heat so high, because it will boil much faster
-you don't have to refill water all the time
-less chance of burning your brew (this shouldn't happen even with the lid on, as you're supposed to stay with it, but I guess it happened for some in the past)

Doing a quick google search I found this:

Quote:
The Andi family do not use a lid at all. One Kichwa shaman consider it “the most important secret” (perhaps this can be translated to “widespread” or “commonly known”) that “using a lid when brewing puts a lid on your visions”. It boiled for three hours only – one and a half with the plants and one and a half without the plants, just reducing. The brew is very potent, but, as usual, concentration, place energies and intentions are crucial for the intensity. It resulted in approx. a litre and a half – or 20 doses.

It seems to me that this are traditions that may have their value for those people, but in terms of efficiency I don't realy see why I shouldn't put the lid on (or brew only 3 hours).

Why SHOULDN'T i put it on?

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

۩
#2 Posted : 10/2/2011 7:31:18 AM

Instead of using the same water to brew, I take the water out from the pot twice and add fresh water. This helps snag the alkaloids from the plants. I could see how a lid would be effective for the water boiling faster, but that's about it.

teotenakeltje
#3 Posted : 10/2/2011 7:46:38 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Well the idea off course is to do 3 boils of 3 hours, and replace the water after each cycle.

When I don't put the lid on I have to put my stove on setting 6. With the lid it will boil on 2,5. So I think this is very cost effective, especially since we are boiling for hours here.

Agave
#4 Posted : 10/3/2011 3:24:36 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Sure, those three points are all true but sometimes I will take the lid off for a bit towards the end of the boil just to reduce some of the extra water off if need be.
As Within, So Without.

jdubs
#5 Posted : 10/3/2011 11:17:53 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I boil always on the lowest heat, so it is just simmering anyway (until the last of the three boils. I ramp it up slightly then) If I put the lid on it would a)boil over or b)boil the life out of the spirit/actives. Also, I find it necessary to keep adding water, as the water level goes down, and evaporates off, giving more space for the extraction with each add. This is very efficient for me, and like I said, its always on the lowest setting anyway.
"Mama matrix most mysterious." James Joyce

"The next great step toward a planetary holism is the partial merging of the technologically transformed human world with the Archaic matrix of vegetable intelligence that is the Transcendent Other." Terence McKenna

Forgive, you'll live longer.

teotenakeltje
#6 Posted : 10/3/2011 11:49:20 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Yes I realized yesterday during brewing that adding water eacht time the water level goes down should be beneficial for extraction, the fresh water has more space for the goodies. Thanks for the input...