We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Preventing lung cancer? Options

SpartanII
#1 Posted : 9/30/2011 3:51:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

So I've quit smoking cigs for good and decided that I'm only going to vaporize/eat marijuana as I'm very concerned that I have a high cancer risk from all the crap I've put into my lungs- especially all the aluminum foil and resin I've smoked in my 15 years of smoking marijuana.

So besides the usual advice for cancer prevention- excercize, more fruits/veggies, and antioxidant supplementation- what can I do to help my body repair itself and prevent lung cancer?

Here's a list of immune-boosting/anti-cancer supplements I currently take:

- vitamin C (high dose)
- Isomer vitamin E (natural mixed tocopherols and tocotrienols)
- vitamin D-3
- vitamin B family (high dose)
- Inositol
- Chromium
- Cat's Claw (herb)
- Ginkgo Biloba (herb)
- Milk Thistle (herb)
- Omega 3,6,9 (from flax oil)

Thanks in advance everyone!Smile

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Laban Shrewsbury III
#2 Posted : 9/30/2011 5:21:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

No advice specific to lung cancer per se, but you should really swap that flax supp for for omega 3 fish oil. The typical western diet is already overly abundant with omega 6 and 9 and highly deficient in 3, and this imbalance results in low-level chronic inflammation. Fish oil supplementation (to the tune of at least 3g of EPA/DHA, equating to 10 regular strength fish oils caps daily) is the most bioavailable* means of balancing your EFA ratios.

The omega 3 content of flax oil is considerably less bioavailable and so it's less value for money, and even less again if it comes bundled with the unnecessary omega 6 and 9 that you're trying to address an excess of.

* Krill oil is apparently superior, but very expensive. Seal oil is the most naturally bioavailable, but for some namby-pamby reason they don't sell that.
Sometimes I believe that this less material life is our truer life, and that our vain presence on the terraqueous globe is itself the secondary or merely virtual phenomenon.

Phantastica
#3 Posted : 9/30/2011 5:36:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

^I just wanted to point out that most fish oil in today's times comes from contaminated fish; though i also take fish oils every now and then, i just wanted to make sure you guys were aware. Krill oil is awesome! another great source is Golden Algae and other algae species (the same source from where fish get their DHA/EPA's)

i dont have any advice for lung cancer specifically either, except for healthy nutrition, and aerobic excercises. You can look into Breathing excercises as well. Another thing you can do to clear out the lung resin is inhale water vapor as steam, hold it for a couple seconds, and exhale; then repeat. (you can perhaps add certain herbal essences to the water as well).

its awesome that you quit smoking cigs..its an absolute toxin in every way imaginable...and the buzz doesn't last for more than 5min lol! i recently quit smoking cigs and weed too and i feel so amazing! woohooo!!Very happy
<3

Laban Shrewsbury III
#4 Posted : 9/30/2011 5:53:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yeah there's a lot of junk fish oil out there. Always opt for molecularly distilled (alt. vacuum distilled) oil, which should be indicated by the manufacturer's certificate of purity. If they don't have one, don't buy their product.

Sometimes I believe that this less material life is our truer life, and that our vain presence on the terraqueous globe is itself the secondary or merely virtual phenomenon.

corpus callosum
#5 Posted : 9/30/2011 7:34:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Medical DoctorModerator

Congratulations on stopping smoking cigarettes- thats the best thing one can do to reduce the risk Smile !

I dont know if theres compelling evidence for the preps you list as reducing the risk of lung cancer specifically.One thing that can be done is being aware of, and avoiding, risk factors which have been shown to be carcinogenic on the lung.As we learn more about the pathogenesis of cancers its become clear that it has alot to do with activating oncogenes or inhibiting tumour suppressor genes, so individual 'genetic loading' is important.

Other risk factors:

1.Asbestos-on its own, amplified effect if smoking as well;

2.Occupational exposure- arsenic, chromates, mustard gas, aromatic hydrocarbons, certain printing inks, chloromethyl ether, radioactive gasses as in uranium mining;

3.Involuntary ie 'passive' smoking;

4.Environmental exposure to radon gas-from the decay of uranium in the substrata; smoking and high exposure multiplies the risk;

4.??viruses;

5.Being on HRT and smoking/being an ex-smoker.

Keep of the cigarettes, avoid the risk factors and hope your genetics are good!Wink

I am paranoid of my brain. It thinks all the time, even when I'm asleep. My thoughts assail me. Murderous lechers they are. Thought is the assassin of thought. Like a man stabbing himself with one hand while the other hand tries to stop the blade. Like an explosion that destroys the detonator. I am paranoid of my brain. It makes me unsettled and ill at ease. Makes me chase my tail, freezes my eyes and shuts me down. Watches me. Eats my head. It destroys me.

SpartanII
#6 Posted : 10/3/2011 2:39:29 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks guys! I'm just scared of getting cancer. My mom had it for a while in her eye and now it looks like its gone, thankfully. I've been so stupid treating my body like shit. I'm done. Time to start LIVING and LOVING life. It's time to manifest SpartanIII.Cool

maxzar100
#7 Posted : 10/26/2011 5:51:50 AM

Earth Child

California White Sage.
The events that maxzar100 describes are only hypothetical, and never actually took place. maxzar100 has no link whatsoever to any illegal substance.

Quote:
Salvia, the metamorphosis of reality. -Mz

purple_dye
#8 Posted : 10/29/2011 8:16:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

NAC is great for the bronchial pathways. Its an antioxidant. Look into it
PS

This is what the alphabet would look like if Q and R were missing

SpartanII
#9 Posted : 12/6/2011 2:52:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for the replies everyone. Keep 'em coming.Very happy I would like to bump this thread and maybe a mod can move it to the Health and Lifestyle sub-forum?

Since quitting cigs I'm now on day 12 of quitting marijuana. My lungs feel great but now I feel I'm at an even higher risk for lung cancer since I don't have the anti-tumor effects of THC/CBD.

polytrip
#10 Posted : 12/6/2011 4:42:45 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Location: A speck of dust in endless space, like everyone else.
I believe the best thing you can do to prevent lung cancer is (when you´ve quit smoking), to live for another ten years...by that time your lungs are clean again and the risk of lungcancer is reduced to almost the same level as when before you´ve smoked your first cigarette.

drishti
#11 Posted : 12/6/2011 5:06:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I've read that all human organs renew themselves on a cellular level in 7 years. I don't know if this is 100% true, but still encouraging. Jogging and swimming (or other cardio activities) are said to increase the lung's clearing and healing capacity. Take spirulina / chlorella to boost your immune system, as these are powerful anti-oxidants that support the healthy lung function. And hiking in nature where the air is so clean and fresh is a must!

It's been almost 2 years since I use a Vapir vaporizer that I'm very satisfied with, for smoking weed.

smokerx
#12 Posted : 12/6/2011 5:50:08 PM

ThGiL fO TiRipS

SpartanII wrote:
Thanks guys! I'm just scared of getting cancer. My mom had it for a while in her eye and now it looks like its gone, thankfully. I've been so stupid treating my body like shit. I'm done. Time to start LIVING and LOVING life. It's time to manifest SpartanIII.Cool

wise decision my friend
We are each of us angels with only one wing, and we can only fly by embracing one another.

We are all living in our own feces.

SpartanII
#13 Posted : 3/22/2012 8:28:59 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Just wanted to update:

I'm still tobacco-free! My lungs feel great.Very happy

It's been almost 4 months now since stopping the cannabis. I gotta say, I'm really not feeling that "brain fog lift" that everyone talks about. I am more emotionally stable, which is great, but I think I'm going to start occasionally vaporizing prior to my yoga and meditation sessions for an enhancement. I'm so much more in tune with my body's energies when I'm high.

I've swapped out the flax for a high quality fish oil, and added green tea extract and spirulina and chlorella to my supplementation.

I also started drinking hot carob made with almond milk. It's heaven. I've read that carob is supposed to help clear out the lungs and prevent lung cancer. I've definitely noticed an increase in my lung capacity since drinking it regularly. I've coughed out a lot of crap.

Hopefully this might help motivate others to quit smoking cigs and take measures to try to prevent cancer.

smokerx
#14 Posted : 3/22/2012 9:36:43 AM

ThGiL fO TiRipS

Also look at Sea Buckthorn oil. It gives you omega oils also.

Plus it has amazing power to regenerate tissue.

Here

We are each of us angels with only one wing, and we can only fly by embracing one another.

We are all living in our own feces.

SpartanII
#15 Posted : 3/22/2012 1:39:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks, looks promising.Cool

DeMenTed
#16 Posted : 3/22/2012 1:58:18 PM

Barry

Dont be born is the hest preventative measure

SpartanII
#17 Posted : 3/22/2012 9:17:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Laughing I'll get right on that.

benzyme
#18 Posted : 3/22/2012 9:50:47 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

i hear snake oil is a cure-all.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck