We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
UC Berkeley Scientists 'See' Movies in the Mind Options

Godspark
#1 Posted : 9/23/2011 6:13:30 AM

NiGHTS into Dreams

http://abcnews.go.com/He...s-mind/story?id=14573442

"Researchers from UC Berkeley were able to reconstruct YouTube videos from viewers' brain activity -- a feat that might one day offer a glimpse into our dreams, memories and even fantasies." ...And maybe one day, hyperspace? Very happy

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Godspark
#2 Posted : 9/23/2011 6:17:09 AM

NiGHTS into Dreams

Ah yes, I forgot the practical applications for this. Imagine what we could do for people in comas with this technology.

Phantastica
#3 Posted : 9/23/2011 7:48:37 AM

DMT-Nexus member

WOW!! that is absolutely amazing! thank you so much for sharing. McKenna's 'Visual Language' idea will soon become a reality i'm sure. Furthermore, this will completely redefine the very essence of our Imaginations
<3

TimePantry
#4 Posted : 9/23/2011 9:45:12 AM

It's a field.

I try not to be dismayed about discoveries like this, astounding advances that should be thrilling to me. I fear that we as a society can't be trusted with this kind of capability.

But, it is wildly cool!
"What's wrong with that generation? ... Is this what comes of putting on Pink Floyd laser lightshows down at the Planetarium?" --Spider Robinson

Elicius
#5 Posted : 9/23/2011 10:42:08 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Location: An idealistic state of mind I carry with me at all times
Something like this could change art forever. People do great thing by recreating something from just a memory, but imagine if you could copy a thought straight onto canvas.

Digi123
#6 Posted : 9/23/2011 1:44:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Pretty cool Smile

Would be handy to record a video of a trip so you can analyse it later, there's so much that's just too fast to see.
Joined at the soul with a pair of headphones

In an ocean of music, we move with the flow

You think that's air you're breathing now?

embracethevoid
#7 Posted : 9/23/2011 2:21:51 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Elicius wrote:
Something like this could change art forever. People do great thing by recreating something from just a memory, but imagine if you could copy a thought straight onto canvas.

Alex Grey did a good job. Seen this yourself? This is such a classic spice vision.

The Traveler
#8 Posted : 9/23/2011 2:27:28 PM

"No, seriously"

Administrator | Skills: DMT, LSD, Programming

I forsee hard times for the classic pr0n industry. Laughing

Oh, and of course you will see this back in airports, companies, etc. Before you are allowed to enter you will have to answer a few things and they will of course scan your brain for the real answers.

"Did you use drugs?" *whoops* Rolling eyes

Kind regards,

The Traveler

Hyperspace Fool
#9 Posted : 9/23/2011 2:35:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

embracethevoid wrote:

Alex Grey did a good job. Seen this yourself? This is such a classic spice vision.

Hehehe sure thing. Another version of that piece is my avatar.

This is really cool. It is still a ways away from showing what people actually see. At the moment it is just layering all the various youtube videos in the survey group that match certain MRI readings. Still, it is kinda spooky.

You can see that with more advanced technologies and expanding the process to include other areas of the brain used for recognition... we just might get there.

I always wished we could show other people what we see. Just might put ol' Alex Grey out of business. Pleased
"Curiouser and curiouser..." ~ Alice

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it." ~ Buddha

polytrip
#10 Posted : 9/23/2011 3:17:27 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Location: A speck of dust in endless space, like everyone else.
Let's hope they won't start projecting images into our minds as well because before we know it we'll all be drinking pepsi all day.

gibran2
#11 Posted : 9/23/2011 3:27:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expertSenior Member

I think the hype of this research far exceeds the reality. In order to construct images, each individual had to spend hours in an MRI machine viewing videos. The researchers then worked backwards in an attempt to reconstruct the videos from the mountain of MRI data generated. It’s not clear from the article if any novel videos were presented.

It’s a bit like having a sculpture, smashing it to pieces, and then gluing it back together. That’s a feat in itself, but relatively easy since we know what the original sculpture looked like. A much harder task would be to take a pile of sculpture fragments and reassemble them into the original sculpture without any knowledge of what the original sculpture looked like. I’m not sure if this is what they’re doing in their research.
gibran2 is a fictional character. Any resemblance to anyone living or dead is purely coincidental.

embracethevoid
#12 Posted : 9/23/2011 3:35:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

"A much harder task would be to take a pile of sculpture fragments and reassemble them into the original sculpture without any knowledge of what the original sculpture looked like. I’m not sure if this is what they’re doing in their research."

That's the next step. Findings from science end up getting prototyped then improved upon mercilessly. Wherever this is headed, things are going to get wacky. Minorityreportception.

Either actual sensory experience is directly stored or the brain's representations of experience. By scrutinising how the fragments assemble what you suggest may perhaps follow.

Hyperspace Fool
#13 Posted : 9/23/2011 3:37:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

gibran2 wrote:
I think the hype of this research far exceeds the reality. In order to construct images, each individual had to spend hours in an MRI machine viewing videos. The researchers then worked backwards in an attempt to reconstruct the videos from the mountain of MRI data generated. It’s not clear from the article if any novel videos were presented.

It’s a bit like having a sculpture, smashing it to pieces, and then gluing it back together. That’s a feat in itself, but relatively easy since we know what the original sculpture looked like. A much harder task would be to take a pile of sculpture fragments and reassemble them into the original sculpture without any knowledge of what the original sculpture looked like. I’m not sure if this is what they’re doing in their research.

Nah. This is baby time here. Like you said, they are only working backwards from a limited set of YouTube videos. And even still, they can't get the exact image back yet. They are still superimposing multiple possibilities for these ghost composites. The only thing that seems relatively sure are the size and shape of the main object and its basic movement.

Still, it is a start. Throw in the other brain regions and they might start getting somewhere.

Don't hold your breath for mind TV anytime soon though.
"Curiouser and curiouser..." ~ Alice

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it." ~ Buddha

embracethevoid
#14 Posted : 9/23/2011 4:28:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Check out the patterns in the images peeps

becomes

Can you see the geometric symbols that come out? They're an artifact of the experiment but they remind me so much of the symbols I see on DMT e.g. like these or these.

It feels like to me that the fractal backgrounds we observe on hallucinogens are probably already there already but brought into the visual field by the substance's action on the brain. The patterns in the image resemble the patterns of HPPD quite accurately.

pau
#15 Posted : 9/23/2011 6:53:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ha! That's Steve Martin in The Pink Panther.

But seriously, fractals are indeed hardwired into the brain... just read up on migraine headaches. A good starting point would be the classic "Eye and Brain", by R.L. Gregory:

http://press.princeton.edu/titles/6016.html
pau attached the following image(s):
425.pinkpanther.martin.steve.lc.020209.jpg (33kb) downloaded 130 time(s).
WHOA!

#16 Posted : 9/23/2011 8:53:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

This is impressive considering they only had to use an MRI. However, getting visual data from the brain is alot more advanced than this already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLb9EIiSyG8

Don't watch this video if you love cats.

TheAppleCore
#17 Posted : 9/25/2011 7:38:54 AM

DMT-Nexus member

^ LOL, poor kitty! Exciting stuff, though.

corpus callosum
#18 Posted : 9/25/2011 8:47:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Medical DoctorModerator

On the very few occasions Ive vaped about 50mg in the GVG then hit it in one breath I have seen images which have the clarity of HD TV , rapidly sequencing and with the odd flash of 'normal' psychedelic imagery one usually sees.Has sweet FA to do with YouTube, as far as I can tell.Very happy Shocked Shocked
I am paranoid of my brain. It thinks all the time, even when I'm asleep. My thoughts assail me. Murderous lechers they are. Thought is the assassin of thought. Like a man stabbing himself with one hand while the other hand tries to stop the blade. Like an explosion that destroys the detonator. I am paranoid of my brain. It makes me unsettled and ill at ease. Makes me chase my tail, freezes my eyes and shuts me down. Watches me. Eats my head. It destroys me.

Not I but We
#19 Posted : 9/27/2011 6:32:08 PM

Guy

This is so amazing!
The above refers to the fictitious 'I'

http://galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html

"When shall I be free? When I shall cease to be.
No more I but we, in perfect harmony" - Shpongle

SKA
#20 Posted : 10/12/2011 4:00:38 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Amazing. Can't wait till this is perfected and we can review our Dreams, DMT-journeys, Ayahuasca and Mushroom experiences in HD. Very happy
Then again the downside would be that government agencies seeking to squeeze confessions out of people, would probably use & abuse this
type of Technology just for that purpose. You win some, you lose some.