We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
DMT in blood question Options

tangler
#1 Posted : 9/22/2011 8:04:04 PM

Sagan

Most agree that DMT is metabolized quickly. The brain is set up to take it in directly. This is why its so short acting. But why is it that DMT can be found in the blood stream? Wouldnt the brain take the true domestically produced DMT in as soon as it was passed over the barrier? And if our brain "hungers" for it as suggested by some, how fast is it being metabolized compared to how fast its being created? I dont understand how there could be any surplus if its true that our brain soaks it in like a sponge...
"Outside this consciousness there lies the alien world of actual things. Between the two stretches the narrow borderland of the senses. No communication between the two worlds is possible excepting across the narrow strip...For a proper understanding of the world it is of the highest importance that this borderland should be thoroughly explored.
-Heinrich Hertz, 1891

All statements and posts are fictitious. The author is attempting to interact with others online through use of a portrayed character in order to gain knowledge from social situations. The author of these posts does not and never will consume illegal substances or condone the use, acquisition, sale, or creation of any such substance.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

universecannon
#2 Posted : 9/22/2011 8:17:28 PM

Moderator | Skills: harmalas, melatonin, trip advice, lucid dreaming

Well as far as i know dmt is produced by the lungs and heart, and so it would make sense that its present in the bloodstream

<Ringworm>hehehe, it's all fun and games till someone loses an "I"

tangler
#3 Posted : 9/22/2011 8:30:51 PM

Sagan

universecannon wrote:
Well as far as i know dmt is produced by the lungs and heart, and so it would make sense that its present in the bloodstream

I didnt know the lungs produced it. But still the question remains, how long is the new dmt in circulation before being taken up by the brain and replaced by new? Ten seconds after you smoke it your brain takes it in like crazy. So if its always in your blood stream isnt it fair to assume that the production rate is equal to or greater that the rate at which its metabolized? Is the brain the only place its broken down once its in the blood?

"Outside this consciousness there lies the alien world of actual things. Between the two stretches the narrow borderland of the senses. No communication between the two worlds is possible excepting across the narrow strip...For a proper understanding of the world it is of the highest importance that this borderland should be thoroughly explored.
-Heinrich Hertz, 1891

All statements and posts are fictitious. The author is attempting to interact with others online through use of a portrayed character in order to gain knowledge from social situations. The author of these posts does not and never will consume illegal substances or condone the use, acquisition, sale, or creation of any such substance.

Entropymancer
#4 Posted : 9/22/2011 9:46:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumModerator | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumChemical expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumSenior Member | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorum

Think homeostasis. A flood of exogenous DMT (producing concentrations much greater than would occur naturally) will be metabolized much faster than than basal levels. Concentration of substrate is an important part of chemical equilibria. It's a fair assumption that basal levels of metabolism are on the same order of magnitude as basal levels of synthesis... but we would expect peak metabolism to be at least an order of magnitude greater.

tele
#5 Posted : 9/22/2011 10:35:35 PM
Explorer

universecannon wrote:

Can you please send a link where it's proven it's produced in the lungs and heart?

I am really interested about this matter and how it is produced.

easyrider
#6 Posted : 9/23/2011 6:40:02 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Rick Strassman wrote:
Even if the pineal weren't involved, that would have little overall effect on my theories regarding a role for DMT in endogenous altered states, because we do know that the gene involved in DMT synthesis is present in many organs, particularly lung.

Rick Strassman wrote:
Lung, liver, blood, eye, and brain all possess the appropriate raw materials for DMT production. In fact, for some years researchers jokingly referred to schizophrenia as a lung disease because of the high concentrations of DMT-forming enzymes within the lung!

http://en.wikipedia.org/...ryptamine#Endogenous_DMT
"'Most men will not swιm before they are able to.' Is not that witty? Naturally, they won't swιm! They are born for the solid earth, not for the water. And naturally they won't think. They are made for life, not for thought. Yes, and he who thinks, what's more, he who makes thought his business, he may go far in it, but he has bartered the solid earth for the water all the same, and one day he will drown."

— Hermann Hesse

Global
#7 Posted : 9/23/2011 3:15:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Music, LSDMT, Egyptian Visions, DMT: Energetic/Holographic Phenomena, Integration, Trip Reports

Even though there will be trace amounts of DMT in the blood, I believe the higher concentrations are found in the cerebro-spinal fluid (and I don't think those concentrations are really that high anyway). Even if endogenous DMT in the blood did make it to the brain without being broken down first, it would probably be such a small amount that you wouldn't notice anyway. When we smoke DMT, it's taking a very concentrated amount of DMT which can temporarily overload the system. Anyone with (or who has had) poor vaporization/smoking technique can attest to the fact that just because you manage to get DMT in your system, doesn't mean something spectacular or even really noticeable will happen. DMT in the blood just isn't concentrated enough to take effect. Perhaps in some natural altered states, it is because DMT has managed to achieve a substantial concentration to temporarily take effect.
"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind" - Albert Einstein

"The Mighty One appears, the horizon shines. Atum appears on the smell of his censing, the Sunshine- god has risen in the sky, the Mansion of the pyramidion is in joy and all its inmates are assembled, a voice calls out within the shrine, shouting reverberates around the Netherworld." - Egyptian Book of the Dead

"Man fears time, but time fears the Pyramids" - 9th century Arab proverb