We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV1234NEXT
I believe freebase dmt can hurt you Options

Enoon
#21 Posted : 9/22/2011 1:00:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Harm reduction, Analytical thinking

Paracelsus said... "The dose makes the poison" or in Latin "Sola dosis facit venenum".

even water can kill you if you drink too much!
Buon viso a cattivo gioco!
---
The Open Hyperspace Traveler Handbook - A handbook for the safe and responsible use of entheogens.
---
mushroom-grow-help ::: energy conserving caapi extraction

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

MeatMachine
#22 Posted : 9/22/2011 3:11:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

tele wrote:
MeatMachine wrote:

I think finding0's point was that regardless of how obvious it is that abuse can harm you, there is very little documented about the dangers of smoking freebase DMT - In the Health and Safety section of this site, 'frequent use abuse' is only addressed very briefly and in practically no detail.

I think it's important that information regarding the physical affects of inhaling this stuff regularly is made widely available.

It's easy for everyone here to say 'oh yeah well OBVIOUSLY if you ABUSE something you're going to get unwanted side-effects', but for some people it's not so obvious where the line of 'abuse' actually lies, and with so many thousands of people in the world potentially using DMT, potentially thinking it's 'perfectly safe' as many people seem to think, it's only a matter of time before someone chugs the stuff constantly and dies of a heart attack.

And we don't want someone's grotesque, vascular corpse all over a front page explaining how DMT is killing our nation's youth!

It's important to notice that temperature of vaporization/smoking plays big role in the matter of possible side effects.
If one SMOKES dmt, not vaporizing, it will obviously be horrible, I wouldn't even try it. Therefore if one would look into the subject of daily use, then there should be noted the smoking device and temperature of vaporization, as it plays huge role. Heck, even with GVG and too much temperature the vapor is very harsh. After I learned to adjust the temperature properly, it's incredibly smooth vapor that one can inhale like almost oxygenVery happy

Honestly I think drawing a link between the smoothness of what you're inhaling and its health risks is a weak defense for the health risks we're talking about here. The thing that worries me about this thread is that the majority of replies so far seem to be getting really defensive about DMT, and allude to two ideas in particular:

Firstly the idea that the OP might/must have consistently burned their DMT while smoking and this explains the damage caused (again, still a health risk that needs explaining to everyone planning to learn to smoke freebase).

And secondly the idea that perfect vaporisation of DMT is far less harmful; I'm not sure on any research that's been done into this but I certainly wouldn't take this for granted!

Like the OP said, there does seem to be a population that idealises DMT as a completely harmless substance to take; I think this is dangerous and people need to know that extended heavy use (because extended heavy use WILL happen in some people), no matter how good it feels, can incur health risks.

Not that I think we should all be ranting about the health risks, but it would be immoral for this to go unresearched or for this ideal of a harmless substance to continue to be expressed by people.

gibran2
#23 Posted : 9/22/2011 3:31:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expertSenior Member

MeatMachine wrote:
Like the OP said, there does seem to be a population that idealises DMT as a completely harmless substance to take; I think this is dangerous and people need to know that extended heavy use (because extended heavy use WILL happen in some people), no matter how good it feels, can incur health risks.

I don’t think that’s at all true. Most people here (and everywhere) understand that even very safe substances can cause harm when used improperly. Even water can cause a potentially fatal condition when consumed in an unsafe manner. Bottled water does not come with a warning label or disclaimer stating that “rapid consumption of large quantities of water can cause injury, illness, or death”. Does this mean bottled water producers are being irresponsible? I don’t think so.

DMT, when used in an extreme manner, can cause injury, illness, or death. This does not imply that DMT is an unsafe substance.
gibran2 is a fictional character. Any resemblance to anyone living or dead is purely coincidental.

finding0
#24 Posted : 9/22/2011 5:41:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Dr Psychonaut wrote:
Quote:
I think it's important that information regarding the physical affects of inhaling this stuff regularly is made widely available.

I agree with this as there have been no studies looking at the harm potential of smoked DMT freebase. All studies done with DMT previously I believe used DMT fumarate and were used IM or IV. It would be great if some light was shed on this subject, but until then I guess we'll just have to use common sense and assume that smoking/vaping anything can potentially damage your lungs/throat irreversibly. Listen to your body and if it it feels like it is doing damage then moderate use or stop for awhile.

Just out of curiosity I wonder did the original poster not ever suffer bad experiences in hyperspace which informed you to limit your use either for physical or psychological health reasons? As for about 2 months I was smoking freebase everyday and began to have some dark trips that eventually led to a horrific trip which I feel told me to take a serious break from DMT. Many have said that anyone who uses DMT this way is more or less guaranteed this type of experience so wonder if you had anything of this type?

No, all the experiences your beautiful. Perhaps this rout was meant for me though. I was a very very hateful and violent person before dmt. I wrote two books on philosophy of my hate towards the human race and how to wipe them out. Being so sick and experiencing so much love gave me humility and showed me all is one and only love makes sense. Even with health issues today I do not regret it one bit even if it turns out to kill me because now I am at peace.
*Any time The word "I" is used by this account it is referring to a fictional character *

finding0
#25 Posted : 9/22/2011 5:44:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

gibran2 wrote:
MeatMachine wrote:

I don’t think that’s at all true. Most people here (and everywhere) understand that even very safe substances can cause harm when used improperly. Even water can cause a potentially fatal condition when consumed in an unsafe manner. Bottled water does not come with a warning label or disclaimer stating that “rapid consumption of large quantities of water can cause injury, illness, or death”. Does this mean bottled water producers are being irresponsible? I don’t think so.

DMT, when used in an extreme manner, can cause injury, illness, or death. This does not imply that DMT is an unsafe substance.

This is a good point but people are unaware that to much water can kill you and it does happen. Even if it is rare it does happen because many people never think about it because they see water as perfectly safe. Look I was not trying to start a large debate. I just wanted to warn the community from my own experience. I love you all and I don't want anybody getting hurt in their exploration due to ignorance.
*Any time The word "I" is used by this account it is referring to a fictional character *

tele
#26 Posted : 9/22/2011 5:44:18 PM
Explorer

gibran2 wrote:

Whoa one would have to go way extreme...

One thing I feel is very important: Clean spice and good vaporization tool, so you can inhale at proper temperature!
I would probably get sick from one single combusted DMT inside a normal glass pipe. And some people do it often...

finding0
#27 Posted : 9/22/2011 6:05:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

tele wrote:
gibran2 wrote:

One thing I feel is very important: Clean spice and good vaporization tool, so you can inhale at proper temperature!
I would probably get sick from one single combusted DMT inside a normal glass pipe. And some people do it often...

When it was used excessively I recall only burning it about 3 times. When you burn dmt you know it lol

The thing with people hearing it is perfectly safe they some what relate it to the safety of thc. One could vape weed 20 times a day and have barely any ill effect on their health. just be very blah. it would cause potentially life threatening conditions such as pulmonary hypertension

gibran2
#28 Posted : 9/22/2011 6:36:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

tele wrote:
gibran2 wrote:

Oh yes – I agree. I think the LD50 for DMT (in rats at least) is several grams. So if someone were to take an IV dose of let’s say 5 grams of DMT, they might very well die.
But as I’ve said, this is EXTREME.
gibran2 is a fictional character. Any resemblance to anyone living or dead is purely coincidental.

tele
#29 Posted : 9/22/2011 6:47:23 PM
Explorer

finding0 wrote:

When it was used excessively I recall only burning it about 3 times. When you burn dmt you know it lol

The thing with people hearing it is perfectly safe they some what relate it to the safety of thc. One could vape weed 20 times a day and have barely any ill effect on their health. just be very blah. it would cause potentially life threatening conditions such as pulmonary hypertension

IMO any smoking device where one can accitentally burn the DMT isn't very good.
If someone smokes weed 20 times a day, there would be very bad effects from the smoke itself, just like with cigarettes.

IMO if one vaporizes pure clean DMT at proper temperature, even daily, there shouldn't be ANY ill effects.

finding0
#30 Posted : 9/22/2011 6:53:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

tele wrote:
finding0 wrote:

IMO any smoking device where one can accitentally burn the DMT isn't very good.
If someone smokes weed 20 times a day, there would be very bad effects from the smoke itself, just like with cigarettes.

IMO if one vaporizes pure clean DMT at proper temperature, even daily, there shouldn't be ANY ill effects.

I said vaped

tele
#31 Posted : 9/22/2011 7:13:07 PM
Explorer

finding0 wrote:

I said vaped

Do you mean vaped ganja 20x a day would cause hypertension?
I thought cannabis lowered the bloodpressure?
It's just that there are quite many people who vaporize weed at least 10-15 times a day, they're called addicts. However I never have heard addicts getting hypertension

Quote:

In general I have never heard anyone comparing thc to DMT. Personally I believe THC can cause much more damage to the user than DMT does. And I was a heavy toker for about 2 years.

And if anyone smokes daily for over 5-10 times DMT, I consider it to be abuse. Moderation is VERY important when it comes to DMT.

jamie
#32 Posted : 9/22/2011 7:46:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

why would you smoke DMT 6 times every day?
Long live the unwoke.

jamie
#33 Posted : 9/22/2011 7:57:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

"The thing with people hearing it is perfectly safe they some what relate it to the safety of thc. One could vape weed 20 times a day and have barely any ill effect on their health. just be very blah. it would cause potentially life threatening conditions such as pulmonary hypertension"

Cannabis, vaped or not does bother my lungs and throat more than DMT. Sometimes the day after I get this dry itch feeling if I have smoked more then maybe 1 or 2 hits the night before..and a slight caugh that accompanies it..the itch feeling is really annoying. DMT have never done that to me from what I can remember.

Long live the unwoke.

finding0
#34 Posted : 9/22/2011 8:20:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

tele wrote:
finding0 wrote:

I said vaped

Do you mean vaped ganja 20x a day would cause hypertension?
I thought cannabis lowered the bloodpressure?
It's just that there are quite many people who vaporize weed at least 10-15 times a day, they're called addicts. However I never have heard addicts getting hypertension

Quote:

In general I have never heard anyone comparing thc to DMT. Personally I believe THC can cause much more damage to the user than DMT does. And I was a heavy toker for about 2 years.

And if anyone smokes daily for over 5-10 times DMT, I consider it to be abuse. Moderation is VERY important when it comes to DMT.

*Edit, oh i see the confusion.I had a typo. i didn't mean to say it would have potentially I meant to say wouldn't. And what I am saying with relating is. many people smoke weed before they try dmt. Almost every stoner knows that weed is pretty safe and won't cause lung damage to the extent were pulmonary hypertension could take place. So when they hear dmt is safe it may give they same level of comfort with dmt as thc. Notice i am saying pulmonary hypertension. Not just hypertension. Pulmonary is a result of highly damaged cellular membrane in the lung. It is much more serious then just normal hypertension and is a rare condition that is usually drug induced. Excessive dmt regardless of being properly smoked or not can cause this because it has a some what high ph like cocaine.At least that is my hypothesis not fact. But I feel may be a key point for speculation in this debate. It is very well know for smoked cocaine to cause this but dmt is not a very well known substance. I imagine if it was as popular and abused as much as cocaine then it would be known by medical professionals that it could cause the serious condition of pulmonary hypertension when used in large binges. Weed can not do this. So saying that it is the safest thing one could put in their body like many believe is an understatement when thc is safer.Or at least with smoked dmt freebase. oral is def. much safer for obvious reasons. When not abused dmt freebase is quite safe. But smoked free base will more then likely cause much more lung damage before thc

haha you gotta re-read what your quoting of me. I said that it DOESN'T have ill effect very clearly

komet
#35 Posted : 9/22/2011 8:48:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

soilbiologist wrote:
If i were smoking 6 times a day my wish would be that an entity would appear and slap the shit out of me for being such a glutton.

Why are you smoking so much?
What is your ambition?
What are you hoping to learn?
Why are you not focusing on quality instead of quantity?
Why haven't you considered yopo?

If I were coming onto an internet message board to take cheap swipes at someone for their already admittedly excessive use during a difficult time in their life, I would wish an entity would appear and slap me for being holier than thou.

I think the OP already knows he was using excessively, it was the context for the question.

tele
#36 Posted : 9/22/2011 9:44:48 PM
Explorer

finding0 wrote:

*Edit, oh i see the confusion.I had a typo. i didn't mean to say it would have potentially I meant to say wouldn't. And what I am saying with relating is. many people smoke weed before they try dmt. Almost every stoner knows that weed is pretty safe and won't cause lung damage to the extent were pulmonary hypertension could take place. So when they hear dmt is safe it may give they same level of comfort with dmt as thc. Notice i am saying pulmonary hypertension. Not just hypertension. Pulmonary is a result of highly damaged cellular membrane in the lung. It is much more serious then just normal hypertension and is a rare condition that is usually drug induced. Excessive dmt regardless of being properly smoked or not can cause this because it has a some what high ph like cocaine.At least that is my hypothesis not fact. But I feel may be a key point for speculation in this debate. It is very well know for smoked cocaine to cause this but dmt is not a very well known substance. I imagine if it was as popular and abused as much as cocaine then it would be known by medical professionals that it could cause the serious condition of pulmonary hypertension when used in large binges. Weed can not do this. So saying that it is the safest thing one could put in their body like many believe is an understatement when thc is safer.Or at least with smoked dmt freebase. oral is def. much safer for obvious reasons. When not abused dmt freebase is quite safe. But smoked free base will more then likely cause much more lung damage before thc

haha you gotta re-read what your quoting of me. I said that it DOESN'T have ill effect very clearly

Dude, so you !speculate! it could lead to lung damage that causes hypertension.
Give us a break from speculation and do get yourself some facts before saying such claims.

If one smokes dmt at high temperatures, I would not be surprised if it would cause lung damage to some extent. And this is with daily use like 6 times a day. However, this is extreme usage and should not be anyone's hobby. Even water, as mentioned can kill you.
I'd say people should absolutely not be worried if vaporized at proper temperature and vaped in moderation. Come on, if you smoke daily and alot, problems are to be expected, especially if there's too much heat. If you had burned dmt 3 times, I suspect your smoking method isn't too good. What smoking device do you use?
Is your spice white or yellow/orange?

gibran2
#37 Posted : 9/22/2011 9:49:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Even eating too many dumplings too fast can be dangerous:

Man wins dumpling eating contest, then dies

Simon Jester
#38 Posted : 9/22/2011 10:35:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Depending on the piece and smoking technique, the loooong hits one takes when smoking freebase can often include A LOT of butane exhaust. For me, this can make my lungs feel congested and tight for some time afterward even though I used clean, unburned freebase.

I have two pieces for spice: One is a metal weed pipe (the common screw-together kind) with two layers of screens. The other is an Essential VAAP, which is a vial and stem vape pipe (basically a really nice crackpipe).
Both work very well, but the screened weed pipe has to be hit like a weed pipe... so I end up inhaling quite a bit of lighter exhaust with the vapor (the resin is even sooty and black from it). This has gone so far as to interfere with my journeys, even make me think I've had something stuck in my throat while tripping.
The VAAP is a crackpipe-style hash oil pipe... the spice is placed in a vial, with a carbureted stem screwed on. The vial is heated by a lighter, and the exhaust never touches the spice or my lungs. I've never had any discomfort from this pipe (even on HUGE hits), and I attribute this to the lack of butane exhaust.

I've never had such strong adverse effects as yours smoking 3-4 times weekly. If I was taking big rips from my converted weed pipe 6 times a day though, I could certainly see myself suffering similar symptoms. Maybe try a crackpipe or hemp wick?

Also: Ayahuasca for great justice.

tele
#39 Posted : 9/22/2011 10:49:21 PM
Explorer

Simon Jester wrote:
Depending on the piece and smoking technique, the loooong hits one takes when smoking freebase can often include A LOT of butane exhaust. For me, this can make my lungs feel congested and tight for some time afterward even though I used clean, unburned freebase.

I have two pieces for spice: One is a metal weed pipe (the common screw-together kind) with two layers of screens. The other is an Essential VAAP, which is a vial and stem vape pipe (basically a really nice crackpipe).
Both work very well, but the screened weed pipe has to be hit like a weed pipe... so I end up inhaling quite a bit of lighter exhaust with the vapor (the resin is even sooty and black from it). This has gone so far as to interfere with my journeys, even make me think I've had something stuck in my throat while tripping.
The VAAP is a crackpipe-style hash oil pipe... the spice is placed in a vial, with a carbureted stem screwed on. The vial is heated by a lighter, and the exhaust never touches the spice or my lungs. I've never had any discomfort from this pipe (even on HUGE hits), and I attribute this to the lack of butane exhaust.

I've never had such strong adverse effects as yours smoking 3-4 times weekly. If I was taking big rips from my converted weed pipe 6 times a day though, I could certainly see myself suffering similar symptoms. Maybe try a crackpipe or hemp wick?

Also: Ayahuasca for great justice.

I just believe if your temperature isn't stable and "cool enough" it will in one way or another get harsh on you, which can be felt in the lungs or the throat. This happens even with the gvg when one applies too much heat.

I wonder, does torch lighter give off butane exhaust when taking long big hits with the GVG? Or is it problem or "normal" lighters?

DMTripper
#40 Posted : 9/23/2011 3:40:19 AM

John Murdoch IV

Everything is bad in excess. Even water. If you drink too much you get water poisoning which can be fatal.
––––––

DMTripper is a fictional character therefore everything he says here must be fiction.
I mean, who really believes there is such a place as Hyperspace!!

PREV1234NEXT