We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV123
Dealing with living in this unnatural modern world. Options

balaganist
#41 Posted : 11/26/2012 10:17:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

As I have recently found, "living in nature" is actually a difficult thing to do, if you want to live in a community of like-minded people - in the UK at least. The powers that be, councils and government are generally against people wanting to live a simple life, unless they have a LOT of money to spend on a country home - which defeats the purpose.

Myself and my partner moved to live on a friends land last spring, invited to help start a new low-impact community. We organised volunteers to help build a big roundhouse roof, for a communal building - it was amazing. We moved into a lovely little yurt there. But shortly after the owner changed his mind and said he did not want a community there. But he was happy for us to stay there. So we spent 6 months living there in our little yurt. It was a lovely place to be. Close to the city too, 45 mins cycle into town! Was amazing and peaceful to be so close to the birds and animals that live there, to be connected with the cycles of the sun and the moon. I felt, at peace, I didnt feel I had to do stuff all the time... Now we are back in town, close to friends and facilities, with mains electricity and central heating etc... nice and warm but again feeling the angst of the city, back in the feeling that I need to be doing stuff all the time... but I am grateful for the experience, and know that all we need, is just to be.. present in this moment, living in beauty.

So many people I speak to now are yearning to live more in nature with like-minded people, in an eco-village type setting, but the simple fact is its hard work and will take courage, in order to avoid the limitations of planning permission laws etc.

First you need the money to buy land (until land is returned to the commons) - then the battle begins to be able to live on it. There is a very good publication in the UK called "The Land" which has a lot of good info on this stuff.

I believe it is the future! Nature is calling us back.. many can hear but the path is not easy..
balaganist is a fictional character who loves playing the game of infinite existence. he amuses himself by posting stories about his made up life in our plane of physical reality. his origins are in other dimensions... he merely comes here to play.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Jin
#42 Posted : 11/27/2012 8:22:25 AM

yes

i definetly think we should all live more in tune with nature , we should work with it , since we claim to be the most intelligent organism on the planet we should stop being so selfish and become caretakers of earth

today we kill so many plants and animals , various reasons , destroy so much of nature unnecessarily , cities are ok but they could be whole lot better and asthetic , we could incorporate our technologies with nature , we could become one with it rather than this standing out of it thats talking place ,

since we humans consider ourselves so intelligent should it be not our responsibility to protect nature and animals in whatever way possible , should we not change our gas guzzling ways , should we not stop running after gold when sun-shine's on us all for free , is'nt the Sun more golden than any gold we run after uselessly

i don't want to dismiss our human culture ,intelligence , technolgy and our process all together because that is also what is so unique about us , but why so much of "Alienation" from nature , is it not time for us to take our unique process and "tune in" with nature , bring our intelligence , technologies and science and combine it in healthy ways to "better the planet for real " rather than this fake improvement which we call "economic progress "

"one" yes "one" , we have to become one with it all , a part of it , to end all dualism that is our society today and create a better society a more natural one , where the needs of all and one is the same , where we work with nature than against it , where we happily take our place in the grand scheme of things

(perhaps i have already drifted off at this point of time so i'll chime in laterSurprised )
illusions !, there are no illusions
there is only that which is the truth

christian
#43 Posted : 11/29/2012 12:49:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

balaganist wrote:
As I have recently found, "living in nature" is actually a difficult thing to do, if you want to live in a community of like-minded people - in the UK at least.

Yes, i can understand that, but the UK particularly sucks for that. Did you see grand designs programme on tv, where a Brittish guy built an eco home in France with free help? It seems it can be very cheap to construct a house with eco type heating, etc in the beautiful nature in France quite reasonably. You DON'T need to be involved with living with like minded people in those type communities, except maybe need the assistance of their help in the constructing of such a place.

Jin wrote:
i definetly think we should all live more in tune with nature , we should work with it , since we claim to be the most intelligent organism on the planet we should stop being so selfish and become caretakers of earth

Yes, i think nature is Gods gift to mankind, and when we care for nature and respect it, it rewards us more than any materialism could ever attempt to do. Living in a city instantly makes you 'poor', and no matter how great your car is, your house is, your sexlife is, without nature man is missing out on whta REALLY counts. But then again i guess i'm a madman to think like this? Laughing
"Eat your vegetables and do as you're told, or you won't be going to the funfair!"

thymamai
#44 Posted : 11/29/2012 5:16:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

where there is at least quiet there is still nature. A place for thought to unfold, not tinted by fear or illusionment.

zombicyckel
#45 Posted : 11/29/2012 5:55:35 PM

Armchair activist

Put on a mental hazmat suit, when you come home. take it off Smile

cyb
#46 Posted : 11/29/2012 6:03:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Digi-Art, DTP, Optical tester, Mechanic, CarpenterSenior Member | Skills: Digi-Art, DTP, Optical tester, Mechanic, Carpenter

Two words...'Red Wine'...Wink
Please do not PM tek related questions
Reserve the right to change your mind at any given moment.

Jin
#47 Posted : 11/29/2012 9:11:42 PM

yes

zombicyckel wrote:
Put on a mental hazmat suit, when you come home. take it off Smile

that is exactly what i do
illusions !, there are no illusions
there is only that which is the truth

PREV123