We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
What is Mimosa Precipitate? Options

Apoc
#1 Posted : 9/17/2011 7:06:24 AM

DMT-Nexus member

HEY! When brewing mimosa, I make sure it doesn't have any solid material in it before reducing. Then when I reduced it, when the water got really low, I noticed that some precipitate started forming. When it cooled, there was indeed a layer of tan precipitate that settles to the bottom. I wondered if that could possibly be dmt precipitating?

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Hyperspace Fool
#2 Posted : 9/17/2011 7:21:14 AM

DMT-Nexus member

More likely microscopic (well, very small anyway) particulate from the mimosa. Powder that is small enough can get through filters. Salt wouldn't precipitate out of water (especially if it is acidic)... though perhaps if the concentrations were so high that the water couldn't hold any more, perhaps it is conceivable.

How low are you concentrating your brew?

I would guess that it is merely particulate matter. SWIM finds that sediment sludge at the bottoms of his jars as well.
"Curiouser and curiouser..." ~ Alice

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it." ~ Buddha

d*l*b
#3 Posted : 9/17/2011 11:30:51 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I think the tan particles are, like Hyperspace Fool says, simply bits that are so fine they go through the filter. With my most recent boil of MHRB I have let them settle a few times during the process and just to make sure there wasn’t anything caught in it (the layer was quite thick at times) I have washed it with water, let it settle again and put the water back into the reduced brew.

The final boil and I have got everything down to ~450mL (from 400g bark and also some half-used bark from previous boils) and left it in a bottle to sit for a day and the sediment has changed colour dramatically, it is now a very dark colour. I will probably decant and wash with water again just to make sure not too much is caught in it as it is very concentrated now.
D × V × F > R

d*l*b
#4 Posted : 9/17/2011 2:13:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I think I may keep the last lot of very dark precipate separate from the decanted solution (I just washed it with vinegar water), base and extract that on its own to see if anything significant is lost when the solution is heavily reduced.
D × V × F > R

evil804
#5 Posted : 9/17/2011 5:41:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

400 G in 450 ml! There is definitely a lot of actives in that sediment then. I typically make brews at a concentration of 6G/100 ml and notice a loss in potency if i discard the sediment that forms after its in the fridge for an extended time. This sediment forms even after multiple overnight decants and filterings. Keep that sludge! Curious, anyone know how much DMT acetate can be held in fridge temp water?

Rivea
#6 Posted : 9/17/2011 5:49:50 PM

No.. that can't be...

Senior Member | Skills: Harmalas, A/B Extraction, Sonication, Sterile Processing, Hardware design, Craftsman

I have filtered warm Mimosa tea through a 0.2 u syringe filter after much previous filtration. The result was a beautiful reddish purple tea. I refrigerated it, and dark tan particles dropped out of this solution which surprised me. I would think that these were dissolved, and the temp drop caused them to come out of solution. Any chemists in the house here to weigh in on this???
Everything mentioned herein has been deemed by our staff of expert psychiatrists to be the delusional rantings of a madman who has been treated with Thorazine who is hospitalized within the confines of our locked facility. This patient sometimes requires the application of 6 point leather restraints and electrodes at the temples to break his delusions. Therefore, take everything mentioned above with a grain of salt...

d*l*b
#7 Posted : 9/17/2011 6:09:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I have settled on giving the sediment a wash with vinegar/water. A lot of colour coming out, first partial wash gives something very much closer to the average tan particles that fall out. Have another bit being washed in tandem too.
D × V × F > R