We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Using methanol Options

69ron
#1 Posted : 11/7/2008 10:15:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

SWIM has been avoiding using methanol for a long time. He’s read how dangerous it is and that it can cause blindness, etc. SWIM also heard from many other SWIMs that the dangers are highly exaggerated.

Methanol is used in a lot of professional extraction techs. Methanol has a very low boiling point (64.7°C) and evaporates pretty fast, faster than IPA or ethanol, and nearly as fast as acetone. One of the unique properties of methanol is that it’s insoluble in heptane, while ethanol and IPA are soluble in everything. Those are all very good qualities in a solvent.

So, SWIM decided to get some methanol (pure ACS grade) to play around with.

The fumes are very pleasant. It smells sweet. SWIM has used it quite a bit and has not been bothered at all by any of the fumes. So, it seems like the dangers are definitely way over exaggerated.

One thing he’s noticed is that everything seems to be extremely soluble in it. Even things that are insoluble in 99% IPA are soluble in methanol. Everything he’s tested is more soluble in methanol than all the other solvents he’s compared it with: IPA, ethanol, heptane, DCM, acetone, MEK, ethyl acetate, and xylene.

He’s excited to try using methanol in a Soxhlet. It’s very low boiling point combined with its fast evaporation rate means it should siphon much faster. That combined with it’s superior solvency means it should extract much faster than most other solvents. Plus it’s low boiling point is less likely to cause heat damage to the alkaloids.

What alkaloids are best extracted with methanol and which ones are poorly extracted with it?
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Reborn
#2 Posted : 11/7/2008 10:32:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

I cannot comment on planet extractions with MeOH but I would say that is used all the time in most science labs and not considered so toxic unless you drink it. So if your generally careful with it I don't see it as dangerous at all.

Memory, prophecy and fantasy
-the past, the future and the dreaming moment between -
are all in one country, living one immortal day.
To know that is Wisdom. To use it is the Art.

benzyme
#3 Posted : 11/9/2008 8:41:09 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

methanol is a great extraction solvent. it's excellent at extracting pretty much all alkaloids, but it also extracts plant sugars and chlorophyll, so a clean up procedure is a good idea

as reborn stated, it's only toxic if swallowed (as alcohol dehydrogenase in the liver converts it to formaldehyde). the antidote is immediately drinking ethanol.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

Infundibulum
#4 Posted : 11/10/2008 1:22:46 AM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

69ron wrote:
The fumes are very pleasant. It smells sweet.

So nice to see someone admitting that. SWIM's FOAF also believes the same. Every time he has to work with methanol in his lab he cannot resist sniffing some just because of this specific sweet smell. Same goes for butanol.

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!