We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV23456NEXT
Plant based Anti-depressants Options

smoalker
#61 Posted : 3/20/2013 8:06:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I find Kanna to be a very effective anti-depressant that starts to work nicely after 1-2 days of dosing daily.
Sublingual is best I find as oral gives me some nausea , smoking does not last long enough and snorting plant material is incredibly uncomfortable.
It is also very cheap and very potent.
I have also used iboga for depression by dosing some relatively small (sub gram) doses every few days sublingually ( I dont know if ibogaine is absorbed sublingually but thats just how I did it) and it was very effective for about two months but then the effects began to diminish and I felt I was using iboga improperly so I stopped.
The only side effect I noticed during this period was difficulty sleeping.
Cannabis has heavenly anti-depressant effects that last up to two days for me so Im just throwing that out there. I find weed a huge help when I get into periods of feeling really down.
All in all I would recommend Kanna the most for long term use with basically no unwanted side effects.
Best of luck

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

jamie
#62 Posted : 3/20/2013 10:05:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

passiflora is probly the best thing for anxiety I have come across..I dunno about anti depressant though. I dont really have any problems having to do with depression at all..just sometimes if I feel sort of restless or strung out passiflora works every time to make me feel comfortable and relaxed and to sleep.
Long live the unwoke.

obliguhl
#63 Posted : 6/5/2013 11:54:24 AM

DMT-Nexus member

to make this thread more useful, i propose adding the following information to your entries:

- How strong were the anti-depressant effects?
- Were the effects felt only mood lifting or was apathy improved?
- Are there any studies proving anti-depressant effects ?
- What about tolerance?

There are a ton of plants who are somehow "anti-depressant" but humanity is still waiting for the holy grail of anti-depressants. Most plant remedies are more than weak, unfortunatly. Still, having a quality list of worthwhile plants to try, is certainly helpful and would help stop suicides, im sure. Even though it might be hard in quite a few cases to restore a real sense of "living". The inflationary use of the term "depression" is yet another problem because many people do not know how strong a plant remedy has to be in order to be considered worthwhile by people who are really depressed and do not just suffer from mood swings or ocassional sadness. I'm talking about people who can barely function, who have trouble getting out of bed, out of the house...who see no future, no purpose, no sense of living...who are basicaly vegetating.

arcanum
#64 Posted : 6/5/2013 5:54:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

May have been briefly mentioned before, but Kratom in the isolate enhanced " Maeng da Thai" variety displays good properties that seem to make it an effective A.D. It definitely has an apathy improving effect, especially when taken around breakfast time. Clearly a stimulant, and a good one at that. Tolerance does develop to the minor euphoric effects, but not the purely stimulant properties , rather like coffee in that respect , this is of course based on my own expereinces of 4 months continual use and may not apply to others.. Withdrawal effects were also mild and transient. No dose escalation on my part either.

I find it's a great addition to the plant based A.D.'s, but sadly legislators in many countries are moving in to have it banned. I wonder if the "Big Pharma" lobbies have anything to do with it? It simply wouldn't be tolerable for them to have a blockbuster, non patentable natural A.D. swamping "their " very lucrative anti-depressant mkt especially if it doubled up as an effective pain killer. There was talk ( Kratom society website) that the maker of the "Blue Pill" was developing a drug based on the 7 Hydroxy Mitraginine mollecule ( Kratom!)

Michal_R
#65 Posted : 6/5/2013 8:16:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I´ve also been having some interesting results with low doses of Kratom. I usually dose at 1-2g (not daily though), not finding it necessary to dose more. With 3g and up, I tend to experience the less pleasant opiate side effects (excessive sweating, itching, constipation).

Arcanum: what has been your daily dose of Kratom, may I ask?

arcanum
#66 Posted : 6/5/2013 11:40:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Also 2gr per dose of the enhanced product, with a maximum of 2 doses per day. What's interesting about Kratom is the range of effects different types produce. As I mentioned the "Maeng Da Thai" sort is better in the morning as it's stimulating, great for physical endurance at work. The " Maly Kratom" I only use in the evening, it has typical opiate-like effects, and this is the one I'd avoid using on a nightly basis.

My Kratom days are numbered anyhow, as it's recently been classified as a prohibited substance in my country, and I don't fancy getting busted for what is essentialy a herbal tea. Crazy world we live in.

nen888
#67 Posted : 6/6/2013 2:39:29 AM
member for the trees

Acacia expert | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingSenior Member | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, Counselling

..thanks all for moving this thread along..

arcarnum..interesting kratom report..my only experience i found it a little unsettling, but that was a one off..

jamie
#68 Posted : 6/6/2013 3:54:28 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

"There are a ton of plants who are somehow "anti-depressant" but humanity is still waiting for the holy grail of anti-depressants"

I tend to think humanity is always looking for the wholy grail of everything, so they can simply consume more..with very little work on their part. This approach to depression really does sound typical of the western approach. If there is any kind of holy grail in this reguard it is going to be some kind of holistic approach to the situation..not a simple quick fix for everyone to run out and consume.

I think even this sort of western approach might be a symptom, or even part of the cause of the depression that seems to be pretty widepread in our culture. I just personally feel like I am always observing people acting out their own problems over and over again..as if we collectivly are a species gone so insane that every reaction is just another symptom of that insanity.

I think the planet has already provided ample medicines..it is just that in the west we consume far more than we do other things..and simple consumption will never adress the root of the issue. It is obvious that as a culture we have not learned to get ur heads out of our asses just yet, and there is no structure set in place for people to work with much of anything..there is ample spportunity to consume..but there is nothing about this paradigm for us to work with..and without the work we are only left with another commodity to consume until we are agan dissatisfied.

I have no doubt that there is a very real neurochemical aspect to depression..mind/body/spirit all flow though one another..but if you only attempt to treat one of these things I dont think there will be much balace and so any results will only be temporary. A system that treats this disease on all levels..neurochemical, psychological and "spiritual" is what we as a culture require IMO..and I think so many ancient traditions already have these systems in place..we just need something like that that we can adapt for our culture.
Long live the unwoke.

Michal_R
#69 Posted : 6/6/2013 9:17:34 AM

DMT-Nexus member

That´s a very good point, Jamie.
Thanks

obliguhl
#70 Posted : 6/7/2013 8:54:57 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Jamie, i believe you're making a good point and what you say is most certainly true. But the thing with depression is: You CAN'T do all the things you'd have to do to fight it - because you are depressed. That's what makes it so vicious. Depression comes with a great sense of apathy, lethargy, demotivation .. which prevents you from taking the steps necessary to put your life back together. This is why anti-depressants are not a quick fix to feed into typical western mentality, but a necessity to get you moving.

nen888
#71 Posted : 6/7/2013 10:57:50 AM
member for the trees

Acacia expert | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingSenior Member | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, Counselling

..hey, missed smoalker's kanna comments..thanks for that..

jamie..i also think you make a valid point..

depression, imo, is as much related to lifestyle, social status, health, diet etc..as simply an isolated 'chemical imbalance'..all these factors affect eachother..
the different triggers for depression may have different sources, and different plants will work for some better than others..

..so called 'depression' has been on the rise in the modern world in the past 50-100 years..
i honestly think many of the constraints of post-industrial life are depressing unto themselves..
plants, whether subtly or entheogenically, allow a kind of intervention into the generic diet (in a few senses) of the manufactured world..

jamie wrote:
Quote:
A system that treats this disease on all levels..neurochemical, psychological and "spiritual" is what we as a culture require IMO..and I think so many ancient traditions already have these systems in place..we just need something like that that we can adapt for our culture.
..agreed..i think if 'ancient traditions' or 'tribal peoples' offered anything a lot more strongly than our typical present day society, it was a sense of belonging..and a sense of purpose beyond the individual..

..there is no general consensus on the causes or treatments of the blanket term 'depression'..
but if any of these plants help individuals it is good for us to gather the data..

obliguhi wrote:
Quote:
to make this thread more useful, i propose adding the following information to your entries:

- How strong were the anti-depressant effects?
- Were the effects felt only mood lifting or was apathy improved?
- Are there any studies proving anti-depressant effects ?
- What about tolerance?
..good idea thanks ob;iguhi..Smile

thanks all contributors..

obliguhl
#72 Posted : 6/7/2013 12:31:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

nen, i started editing my original post https://www.dmt-nexus.me...&m=439767#post439767 to include more info. Not much there yet, but more will hopefully follow.

Rati
#73 Posted : 7/10/2013 11:45:39 PM

Expand your mind.

MERGED

Hello Nexus,
I was wondering if any of you could suggest a natural alternative to antidepressants? Unfortunately times have been tough for me the last little while. I have struggled with depression since I was a child and the only solution offered to me has been prescription medication (which I personally do not wish to use pharmaceuticals) Today it came to my attention that many different solutions for this issue may be available. I plan to do some research online but I would also like some of your input. Thank you so much for taking the time to ready this. I appreciate any and all advice you may have.

Also I would like to add that I have been able to manage my anxiety through breathing exercises and have noticed a tremendous difference!

Smile
Those things which increase passion should be done first, and those which are only for amusement or variety should be done afterwards.

Creo
#74 Posted : 7/11/2013 2:09:22 AM

DMT-Nexus member

St John's Wort is commonly used as an antidepressant in Europe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_John's_wort

A study published in 2005 reached the conclusion that St John's Wort was significantly more effective than Prozac for treating major depression:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16160619

One thing to be aware of is that combining St John's Wort with other drugs (including most psychedelics) can lead to serotonin syndrome.

The Day Tripper
#75 Posted : 7/11/2013 2:09:58 AM

Rennasauce Man

Location: A Pale Blue Dot orbiting a GV2 Yellow Dwarf fusion powered Luminous Ball of Plasma at 30km/s
Welcome to the nexus, here's a very informative thread you can find by using the search function for anti-depressants. There's a lot of good advice about various plant derived anti-depressants in that thread, also there's other threads you can find using the search function.

Plant based Anti-depressants

If you have already read those, do you have any specific questions about the alternatives presented in those threads?

If not you may want to run through them before asking for advice/starting a new thread. It will definitely show you are cultivating the right attitude towards a promotion.

Good luck, and once again, welcome to the nexus Smile Thumbs up
"let those who have talked to the elves, find each other and band together" -TMK

In a society in which nearly everybody is dominated by somebody else's mind or by a disembodied mind, it becomes increasingly difficult to learn the truth about the activities of governments and corporations, about the quality or value of products, or about the health of one's own place and economy.
In such a society, also, our private economies will depend less upon the private ownership of real, usable property, and more upon property that is institutional and abstract, beyond individual control, such as money, insurance policies, certificates of deposit, stocks, etc. And as our private economies become more abstract, the mutual, free helps and pleasures of family and community life will be supplanted by a kind of displaced citizenship and by commerce with impersonal and self-interested suppliers...
The great enemy of freedom is the alignment of political power with wealth. This alignment destroys the commonwealth - that is, the natural wealth of localities and the local economies of household, neighborhood, and community - and so destroys democracy, of which the commonwealth is the foundation and practical means.” - Wendell Berry

shanedudddy2
#76 Posted : 7/11/2013 6:04:29 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Is DMT considered a natural alternative? heh
Because I always find it to improve my mood and mental outlook.
*Shakes magic 8-ball*
The future looks....awesome Pleased

MagicGing
#77 Posted : 7/11/2013 1:09:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Also eating a healthy diet and getting regular excercise helps (maybe yoga?)

As for the diet, i would recommend a organic whole foods plant based diet. For instance, macadamia nuts have been proven to be a more effective antidepressant than prozac, i think in part due to the large amount of magnesium. Also i know the body generally spends alot of energy on digesting meat.
But dont forget about the b12! Its only found in meat, dairy, and eggs. Or supplements
Forks over knives is a great educational and very convincing movie that talks about this diet. I highly recommend it!

Hope this helps. I think alot of it has to do with the outlook.

Smile

Edit: i have seen a few scholarly articles on google (i will link later) that say ayahuasca, with the right intentions and respect, has completley changed people that were very depressed in 10 days or less! These people had tryed using pharmaceuticals, yoga, etc but to no avail. Aya with respect, healthy diet and excerscise sounds perfect to me
However i do feel like a hippocrite for posting thisSurprised
“The swans go on the path of the sun, they go through the ether by means of their miraculous power; the wise are led out of this world, when they have conquered Mara (desire) and his train" Dhammapada

"But is it probable," asked Pascal, "that probability gives assurance? Nothing gives certainty but truth; nothing gives rest but for the sincere search for truth"

MagicGing
#78 Posted : 7/11/2013 2:23:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Found the scientific article for ayahuasca and depression

http://www.neip.info/upd_blob/0000/996.pdf

Also could you elaborate on the breathing excersises you do that helps?
“The swans go on the path of the sun, they go through the ether by means of their miraculous power; the wise are led out of this world, when they have conquered Mara (desire) and his train" Dhammapada

"But is it probable," asked Pascal, "that probability gives assurance? Nothing gives certainty but truth; nothing gives rest but for the sincere search for truth"

migmag
#79 Posted : 7/11/2013 3:03:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Kanna works like a charm! I love it Love

The Day Tripper
#80 Posted : 7/11/2013 9:06:29 PM

Rennasauce Man

Location: A Pale Blue Dot orbiting a GV2 Yellow Dwarf fusion powered Luminous Ball of Plasma at 30km/s
We already have a detailed plant based anti-depressants thread, mods i suggest this be merged with that one to reduce clutter.

Nothing against the op's question, its just that its very unspecific, and the plant based anti-depressant thread covers all thats been said, and more.

You'll prob get more people's input on your request, and it just consolidates the same exact info in two threads into one.

EDIT:
Merge Completed
"let those who have talked to the elves, find each other and band together" -TMK

In a society in which nearly everybody is dominated by somebody else's mind or by a disembodied mind, it becomes increasingly difficult to learn the truth about the activities of governments and corporations, about the quality or value of products, or about the health of one's own place and economy.
In such a society, also, our private economies will depend less upon the private ownership of real, usable property, and more upon property that is institutional and abstract, beyond individual control, such as money, insurance policies, certificates of deposit, stocks, etc. And as our private economies become more abstract, the mutual, free helps and pleasures of family and community life will be supplanted by a kind of displaced citizenship and by commerce with impersonal and self-interested suppliers...
The great enemy of freedom is the alignment of political power with wealth. This alignment destroys the commonwealth - that is, the natural wealth of localities and the local economies of household, neighborhood, and community - and so destroys democracy, of which the commonwealth is the foundation and practical means.” - Wendell Berry

«PREV23456NEXT