We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV78910NEXT
Stop pirating drug culture books Options

SnozzleBerry
#161 Posted : 9/17/2011 8:57:53 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

(and who else is speaking out on it/openly opposed to it, as you present it as though there are many vocally opposed authors within the community)
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

a1pha
#162 Posted : 9/17/2011 9:07:05 PM

Moderator | Skills: Master hacker!

AlbertKLloyd wrote:
Sasha is not well, it isn't worth his time to come here and say what has already been said.

I understand he is not well. But if he is so vehemently opposed to piracy/sharing it would seem worth his time to pick up the computer and type a few lines. I (and others) would respect his wishes.
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." -A.Huxley

MelCat
#163 Posted : 9/17/2011 9:13:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

AlbertKLloyd wrote:
I did in one case of an author who knows over a dozen psychedelic authors.

If dozens of psychedelic authors have such an issue with this, I find it hard to believe that not one of them would come and comment directly. It doesn't seem like psychedelic authors posting on a psychedelic forum would hurt anyone.

Also, why don't these dozen or so authors get together and create a website like I suggested previously in this thread. I don't want this thread to lead to more endless banter when we should instead be focusing on proper solutions.

If all of these authors were to work together and create a worthy distribution website for their wares, it would benefit all of the authors and their followers. Direct donations could be set up for the authors who are having health or financial issues. They could get feedback directly from users. They could publish smaller works and gain a higher return on investment.

I mean seriously, the possibilities are endless. You have to work and flow with the system. Fighting it is futile.
Convert a melodic element into a rhythmic element...

AlbertKLloyd
#164 Posted : 9/17/2011 9:57:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

do you really think that pirates would respect the wishes of authors?
that a website or petition would make a difference?

i have been told by authors who have been hurt by piracy that this thread is a waste of time, i was told that telling thieves to stop stealing is not worth the effort and that you can't expect pirates to respect authors.

I agree.

a1pha
#165 Posted : 9/17/2011 10:04:46 PM

AlbertKLloyd wrote:

I sure would - and I'm one of the main ones doing it.

SnozzleBerry
#166 Posted : 9/17/2011 10:06:11 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

a1pha wrote:
AlbertKLloyd wrote:

I sure would

Seconded...I'd also urge them to follow MC's advice.

But as it's not even clear which authors hold these positions (just some abstraction of "authors within the community" ) I don't see the point of posing this question.
WikiAttitudeFAQ
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

MelCat
#167 Posted : 9/17/2011 10:19:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

SnozzleBerry wrote:
Seconded...I'd also urge them to follow MC's advice.

Thanks Snozz Very happy

AlbertKLloyd wrote:

I would..

AlbertKLloyd wrote:
that a website or petition would make a difference?

What I'm proposing isn't a matter of "telling thieves to stop stealing." What I'm proposing is for these authors to work together and create a paid membership based site where they can publish not only their books, but also their journals, memoirs and manuscripts. A site where they can create a direct relationship with their user base and make money.

What I'm proposing isn't outrageous. It is a very real and plausible solution that other authors are using with great success. If these authors want to stay in the 60's with their paper and faxes, more power to them. If they really want to see profits again, they need to step up their game and embrace the technology that we've been blessed with.

AlbertKLloyd wrote:

i have been told by authors who have been hurt by piracy that this thread is a waste of time, i was told that telling thieves to stop stealing is not worth the effort and that you can't expect pirates to respect authors.

I agree.

As far as I'm concerned, everything that comes from you where these authors are concerned is hearsay. We have yet to hear from one of these authors directly. The one time where you posted on their behalf, it didn't do them any favors.

AlbertKLloyd
#168 Posted : 9/17/2011 11:11:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

this is taken from The Simple Plant Isoquinolines By Shulgin and Perry, 2002 Transform Press
Quote:
All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced in any form without written permission.

That seems clear enough, the respectful thing to do is to honor the wish of the author.
PIHKAL and TIHKAL both bear the same wording.

I don't know an author that thinks this site really matters in terms of piracy, my posting on the topic isn't me representing any opinion but my own. However it is clear enough that not that many people who have participated in this thread are going to care about the opinions of others including authors; regarding this topic.

For a few people to insist upon an author to tell them that they oppose piracy because it is theft is silly. The idea that an author should have to make a public statement against having their material stolen via free reproduction and distribution reflects a mentality of justification, not consideration.

Respect isn't something that should have to be asked for.
If you want to reproduce something then just ask the author yourself.

On the street stealing a persons business and income is considered disrespectful, even kind generous people don't appreciate that type of thing.

SnozzleBerry
#169 Posted : 9/17/2011 11:12:54 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Entropy already explained why this is a non-issue with Shulgin...who else are you claiming is speaking out on this?

It feels to me as though you are deliberately ignoring certain points made by people and refusing to answer questions multiple people have posed to you on the exact same topic.
WikiAttitudeFAQ
גם זה יעבור

MelCat
#170 Posted : 9/18/2011 2:04:19 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Here you can find Tihkal and Pihkal online with a donate button to support Sasha and Ann through their hard times they are currently experiencing.

You can also donate directly to the projects he is working on and it is 100% tax-deductible.

It appears the Shulgins have found a way to benefit from "piracy". These other authors should think along the same lines.

Eternal_LVX
#171 Posted : 9/18/2011 7:52:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

There are plenty of ways to make money off pirated books. There's a hacker forum that I frequent and they usually advertise like this: Free E-book! Click here to download!

Then when you click, it takes you to a site where the uploader actually gets paid everytime someone clicks on the download. Some kind of affiliate program. If an author was really smart, they would do it like this instead of expecting people to pay for something they can easily get for free.

Anyone else know what site I'm talking about? I think its the Megashare affiliate program.
All statements by Eternal_LVX are fictional and completely insane and should not be taken seriously. Do not attempt any of these procedures without the supervision of your own eternally divine soul.

"The real secret of magic is that the world is made of words, and that if you know the words that the world is made of you can make of it whatever you wish." - Terrence McKenna

My first breakthrough experience!

AlbertKLloyd
#172 Posted : 9/21/2011 5:08:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Melodic Catastrophe wrote:
Here you can find Tihkal and Pihkal online with a donate button to support Sasha and Ann through their hard times they are currently experiencing.

It appears the Shulgins have found a way to benefit from "piracy". These other authors should think along the same lines.

That isn't piracy in any way and the Shulgins have stated in public that piracy is terrible and has negatively impacted them.

I was told not to waste my time about this topic, but that often when you have a hard time finding an authors work being pirated it isn't because people don't do it, it is because of legal action.

Anyone with a hard copy knows that the Pihkal and Tihkal versions online are only half the books.

a1pha
#173 Posted : 9/21/2011 5:13:37 PM

AlbertKLloyd wrote:
That isn't piracy in any way and the Shulgins have stated in public that piracy is terrible and has negatively impacted them.

I sent a note over to Transform Press for clarification on the issue since I haven't heard anything from you or your contacts. I will post the response if appropriate.

AlbertKLloyd
#174 Posted : 9/21/2011 5:41:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

a1pha wrote:
AlbertKLloyd wrote:

I sent a note over to Transform Press for clarification on the issue since I haven't heard anything from you or your contacts. I will post the response if appropriate.

Commendable effort in my opinion.

a1pha
#175 Posted : 9/22/2011 2:02:23 AM

I received the following from the Shulgin folk:

Quote:
Hi XXX,

I am happy that you are creating xxx. We are in collaboration with the Erowid website to Archive and digitize Sasha and Ann's life's work. If you go to the Erowid website you can see it. Most of his published scientific papers are available already. Sasha and Ann have does dozens of interviews which people have also posted, some freely, some wanting money for the video copies.

Sasha has dementia so Ann is who you want to talk to. We are gathering some of Sasha's work to make into books to pay for his 200,000 dollar a year health care. We do not want to have any copyright problems from any sources that have it. I do know that Sasha did want free information exchange so if you have information that is Sasha's we would love to have a copy of it for our library. The Erowids also have the same goal. It is usually friendly when the organization gets credit for sharing their information and we would be happy to share it on our website which is in its infant stages: Shulginresearch.org.

XXX

Thank you for your interest,

Tania of team Shulgin

I will contact Ann tomorrow and again post the response if appropriate.

AlbertKLloyd
#176 Posted : 9/22/2011 4:52:38 AM

DMT-Nexus member

this is great, i am curious what you asked.
Can you share your basic question minus details?

a1pha
#177 Posted : 9/22/2011 5:00:50 AM

AlbertKLloyd wrote:
this is great, i am curious what you asked.
Can you share your basic question minus details?

I've been working on a project with a few researchers in the community to make psychedelic research available free to all.

I sent a note back and cc'd earth of erowid. Seems we're all working toward the same goal.

SnozzleBerry
#178 Posted : 9/22/2011 2:37:33 PM

omnia sunt communia!

That sounds awesome, a1pha! It's great to see how understanding the experts in the community are with respect to getting this knowledge to the public at large.
WikiAttitudeFAQ
גם זה יעבור

AlbertKLloyd
#179 Posted : 9/22/2011 2:51:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Cool, but it really isn't addressing piracy, how it has impacted them and how they feel about it.

I do respect it, but it has very little to do with the topic.
I don't know an author against sharing information, but i don't know an author who likes piracy.

the idea that piracy is sharing information is really overly simple
ask them if it is ok to scan their books and give them out free of charge and then see what they say

endlessness
#180 Posted : 9/22/2011 2:55:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ott already said its good in his opinion, so now you can say "there's at least one author I know that thinks piracy is ok" Very happy

By the way, if they want to sell more books, why do they, at transform press, the direct publisher of Shulgin's books, which should be the closest to the source, sell the Index Vol 1 for nearly double the price than amazon?

«PREV78910NEXT