We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Mesemb alkaloid query Options

AlbertKLloyd
#1 Posted : 8/25/2011 6:56:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

http://www.thesceletium.com/study2.pdf

I am going to be discussing this paper to a large degree.
As well as this:
http://www.troutsnotes.com/sc/SoS_2004_Trout.pdf

First I want to mention that in the first paper an alkaloid is found in Lampranthus aureus, this was found in decent content and in the method of the study had a time of 8.7, note that this alkaloid was also found in Delosperma cooperi. I want to know what it is.

Now the first paper has this critical flaw that decimates any chance for it to be conclusive, this same flaw is found in numerous studies and papers of many plants. This flaw is that seasonal variation was not accounted for, note that in the second paper multiple TLC tests of a single species showed seasonal variation, D. cooperi is a good example of this. Another critical flaw is that multiple specimens are not tested, because not all plants of a single species are the same in qualitative and quantitative content.

I collected seeds of Delosperma species last year and grew out a lot of plant matter, not long ago I gathered a large amount of it, enough that when liquified in a blender with only a little extra water there was about two gallons of liquid, this easily amounts to over ten pounds fresh or so. I prepared the material by blending it, then I boiled it and strained the material while it was still quite hot, then I boiled water and poured it through the material again to rinse out the material, the resulting liquids were dark brown, this was odd in that it was an unexpected color.

The liquids were combined and the plant material was thrown out. The idea here is that hot water and the natural acids of the plant make the alkaloids soluble enough and working the material for longer does not seem to do much other than extract more lipids and chlorophyll to result in contaminating the alkaloids.

Then the liquid was boiled down to a half a quart volume, it was then put into a jar and then calcium hydroxide was added and then a small amount of lye was added, then xylene was added and the whole thing shaken like mad several times and then allowed to sit. A few hours later this xylene layer had fully separated and had taken on a yellows color, for the sake of curiosity this was put next to a black light and examined, it glowed orange as if it was both pink and yellow together. It actually looked akin to a mhrb extraction in this aspect but was clearly distinct.

The xylene is being removed by evaporation and has not been checked yet.
The Delosperma material employed was akin to cooperi, but may be hybrid or floribundum, needless to say it is unidentified and of horticultural origin.

In regard to the paper by K.Trout, DMT and the 5-MeO version of it were found in D. cooperi, the material I am working with seems to be this species. Previously I juiced some, evaporated the juice and then extracted the residue with alchohol, then evaporated that and then obtained a semi-crystalline resin that did have some psychoactive value, though it seemed reminiscent of low doses of sceletium and the 5meo.

In this other paper some sceletium type alkaloids were found in D cooperi, along with this mystery alkaloid from L. aureus, this mystery alkaloid was said to have an indole ring structure and since private work has found tryptamines in Delosperma it is my hunch that this alkaloid is likely some variant on DMT. Is there anyone here who can look at that first paper and correlate the data and give me a probable identity on this alkaloid?

The material I used was seeds, flowers, seed pods, stems and leaves, but no roots. I can gather seed of it and provide it to interested parties should this prove productive or worthwhile. The Delosperma in question is hardy to USDA zone 5b and is very fast growing, it is also a ground cover and does not grow upright. As is frequently the case with alkaloid containing plants it has reddish pigments in it's stems and leaf tips.

Ca hydroxide in solution has a pH of about 12.3, in Some Simple Tryptamines (buy this, don't steal it online or Trout will not be able to keep publishing such amazing books, pirating books like this is like working for the DEA, it opposes those fighting against the war on drugs and undermines their ability to spread accurate information) KT and numerous sources mention that 5MeO-DMT is extracted above pH 12, making lime a good choice for a caustic agent in an STB of material containing this alkaloid.

In previous extractions of Delosperma like this I obtained an oil that upon standing failed to form crystals, the effects of this material were very much like sceletium alkaloids, the faint smell of DMT Like indoles was present but the material was not active like DMT on a weight for weight basis. Because this material is known to vary seasonally in both what alkaloids it contains and how much it contains then it requires some work to explore, no single extraction really means anything, regardless of if it is or isn't productive. In fall the plant has higher amounts of alkaloids than during other times of year, but it also has a greater mix of them as well. Since the material is not well identified and chemical diversity has been demonstrated to some degree in Delosperma species then it is important to note that results of any type cannot be extrapolated to mean that we know what to expect or even what this material should contain and how much it should contain. Whenever any studies of alkaloid containing plants studied multiple specimens over several seasons variation was demonstrated, this is true for all plants in general and in some cases is true even for clones of a single plant, like cacti, caapi, cannabis, and many others. For this reason the authority of the first paper as indicative of the mesembrine content of the species it tested cannot be regarded as knowledge, it merely constitutes data to consider.

I will post results later.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

AlbertKLloyd
#2 Posted : 8/26/2011 6:11:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The extract resulted in some standing oils mixed with a white crystalline residue, this was active again very much akin to 5meo and mesembrine alkaloids, however the yield is very low, despite promising activity the yield is so slight that the effort required to obtain it is not justified by the return.

YTXian
#3 Posted : 12/12/2011 4:14:32 AM

Not an angry scientist but a mad one.

I just now saw this post and wanted to say that I too atempted an extraction on D. Cooperi. My results concur with yours.
One thing though... I tried using an industrial solvent that is for clean up and is marketed as being bio-degradable. It is called 'DE-Solve-It!' and is one quarter limonene. The rest is solvent of similar composition (C and H in various numbers).
I got this strange white crystaline substance which crashed out relativly quickly and settled to the bottom of the extraction container. It looked like spice but was more like a salt upon investigation (didn't melt or burn or vaporize) yet not water soluable.
Through out the extraction and experimentation with this plant I encountered quite a few substances that looked promising but none proved to be active in any of my experiments.
I'm going to investigate this more in the spring time with material from the same patch.
My experiments took place in mid October BTW. Material was harvested at around 10AM on the first snowy day of the year.
In this world there are adults and there are children. In fact the world is filled with children; they are angry and hurt, frightened and abused, lazy and ignorant, stubborn and hateful. The world hates an adult and they would rather cause their peers to fail at any venture of self improvement before having to step up and improve their selves so as to maintain pecking order and evidence of the lowley opinion they have of each other. The best of them enslave the others so that they all consume and destroy all there lives in order to satisfy their immense greed claiming that they are providing a future for their legacy and never question the possibility of doing better in order to leave a real future for the children they will leave behind on this, our Earth. They pretend that it is impossible and when cornered they admit their apathy saying that they won't be around to suffer the out come. They hate the adults for exposing their immense weekness. The total failure that they call success. Mean while the adults strive to minimize their own impact and perpetually work to undo the damage already done. The adults who already know; they are the children of tomorrow.