We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Naphtha issue Options

tiggernits
#1 Posted : 8/24/2011 8:29:02 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Hi, I have been following this tutorial with your additions (thanks) that I unfortunately only found halfway through:

Extraction

Now I am up to step 8. I added 1 teaspoon of caustic soda (lye) to 95ml of water and slowly added it to the mix. The solution when from grey to black as expected, although the PH is high up around the 11 mark. The only problem is separation.

The image (Approximate Basification Color) shows 2 layers, the black layer and a clear looking layer at the top, I have left mine for 24 hours and it hasn't done this (fully black). I missed out step 7 and added the naphtha once it had gone black and stirred it.

I am using this:

for my naphtha. I think the jar isn't air tight so it may be escaping a little, this could be the problem, and I am thinking of trying to add more lye tonight. Anything else I could do?

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

۩
#2 Posted : 8/24/2011 8:37:05 AM

Just add some more lye, they will separate almost immediately if you base high enough.

Noman
#3 Posted : 8/24/2011 2:47:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm curiouse as to why you decided to use that procedure despite the huge note of warning that it doesn't work very well added by Erowid at the top.

endlessness
#4 Posted : 8/24/2011 2:49:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

As he asked ^

SnozzleBerry
#5 Posted : 8/24/2011 3:44:45 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

and what's with the name?
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

tiggernits
#6 Posted : 8/24/2011 8:01:49 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Unfortunately, I was looking at a different version to begin with. I only found the revised version later on. Also you can urbandictionary my name.

Ok, I added a lot more lye, around 5/6 teaspoons. I shook the mixture and it heated up and has finally formed a clear layer, although the layer is only a few millimetres on top of about 1 pint of the mixture.

I tested the PH of the mixture and it is now about 7. What should be the next step here?

p.s. the lye says: sodium hydroxide 98% w/w

SnozzleBerry
#7 Posted : 8/25/2011 12:26:29 AM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

tiggernits wrote:
Also you can urbandictionary my name.

Yea, that's what I thought.

Totally not cool...I suggest you ask The Traveler for a name change to something less offensive.
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

Bill Cipher
#8 Posted : 8/25/2011 4:06:41 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I'll do one better. Change your name on your next login or you're out of here forever.

mellowyellow
#9 Posted : 8/26/2011 5:49:02 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Ok, this is my new account. And im guessing that more naphtha / lye is the solution, although I have just left it as it is.

mellowyellow
#10 Posted : 9/13/2011 7:46:49 PM
DMT-Nexus member

It appears that the type of lighter fluid was the issue. I got some Bartoline low odour white spirit and this went to the top after about 30mins, but now I am stuck evaporating.

Putting it in the freezer for 12 hours reveals crystals that go through a coffee filter and get absorbed by coffee filter papers. They disappear quickly. It barely evaporates being left out and now I am testing leaving it by a fan. I will post an update if I manage to get it to evaporate.

Wave
#11 Posted : 9/13/2011 8:39:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Well, I'm a bit ashamed in answering, as I'm a quite spiritual user of the spirit molecule and am not sure You're fully in the nexus attitude.

Anyway, in my opinion anyone deserves to have access to DMT.

Just try to find the better naphtha You can. Zippo lighter fluid works very bad, it's full of impurities and it's harder to separate. Also, the better is the naphtha, the less You should strain the mix: I just turn it upside down for, say, 15 minutes, than leave it under warm water for while: that makes separation faster (about 15 minutes). If I shake the mix, it takes up to 1 day or 2 to be perfectly separated. Having a closed container is mandatory, but it should be opened some times to avoid pressure buildup.

I usually evaporate the naphtha avoiding freezer precipitation. This is not the best method but it's simple. I would suggest it for first times. Using a fan will make the whole naphtha to evaporate in 3-8 hours or overnight. Use room temperature air, not an hair dryer. I usually tilt the glass pan when the naphtha had left a mainly solid residual (it uses a couple of hours), which allows the fat yellow fluid to flow down separating from crystals (this process may take several hours). Sometimes, to have dryer crystals, I wait a couple of day.

You could eventually find a yellow goo instead of white crystals, that should work anyway but it's not so pure and it's more difficult to move/use. For the final test, smell the compound: if it's floreal, that should be good, if it's more like mothballs, you still have some naphtha inside and may want to redissolve it in acetone, which is less toxic.

Please note all these info could be found around the nexus, so my suggestion is to take the more time You can reading and studying.

Hope that helped.
Peace and good luck.

--
forth and deep