We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Safety of Mescaline (and other cact alkaloids) + MAOIs ? Options

endlessness
#1 Posted : 8/13/2011 5:19:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

So occasionally someone in the forum mentions mixing caapi/harmalas with mescaline or crude cact preparations.
How safe it this?

Can people who had personal experiences or saw others take this mixture, mention the doses and if there were any side effects?

Also can those with more pharmacological and medical knowledge tell us their opinion about this? And what about the other alkaloids in cact, phenetylamines, hordenine, different tyramines, etc, is any of them, if in larger quantities with MAOI, potentially dangerous?

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

ouro
#2 Posted : 8/14/2011 10:07:07 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I've seen many reports of mixing harmalas and full spectrum cactus, and never have I seen a dangerous interaction. Of course it could still be possible, but I think it's safe to say a bad interaction is rare. I wouldn't condone mixing them really, but if someone eats them around the same time there is little to worry about. Of course some people really enjoy mixing the two.

maois seem to have bad interactions with amphetamine drugs like MDMA. If there were an interaction between tyramine or even hordenine there would probably be a warning to that effect on pharmaceutical RIMAs. I don't know if they do or not.

Jin
#3 Posted : 8/14/2011 6:58:59 PM

yes

i think this is where i can place my query , should someone who hates the effects of mdma do mescaline ? since i don't like mdma atall but recently have been interested in cactus ?

also looking forward to answers on harmala and cactus interactions , i am currently uneducated on the subject
illusions !, there are no illusions
there is only that which is the truth

endlessness
#4 Posted : 8/14/2011 7:06:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Jin, I really dont like mdma either and love cactus Smile

Jin
#5 Posted : 8/14/2011 7:22:30 PM

yes

thank you endlessness , your words have given me courage to explore in this direction Smile
i understand if you say that , they must be quite different from each other , i am doing more homework on the subject now ,

illusions !, there are no illusions
there is only that which is the truth

State of the Mind
#6 Posted : 8/14/2011 11:42:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I have tried the combination before and have not noticed any ill effects . However, I was very cautious prior to taking this combination . Some Cactus does contain Tyramine, so there is a safety issue and it is definitely something that people should research before trying . But I do think that the risks are somewhat exaggerated sometimes . But to be honest, it is better to be safe than sorry . Very happy

I found that by ingesting Caapi + Cactus, the Cactus was made slightly more visual . And also, the trip itself lasted much longer with Caapi, which is not necessarily good, as the Cactus trip when ingested on its own can already be incredibly long, but that is a matter of preference .

Be sensible .
People spend their lives searching for perfect moments and fail to see, that there are many unappreciated perfect moments everyday that are overlooked.

۩
#7 Posted : 8/14/2011 11:48:19 PM

I have never had any negative reactions with san pedro/peruvian torch and harmalas or ayahuasca. Universecannon recently coined the term "San Paapi" which I used to describe an evaporated tea made with San Pedro and Ayahuasca in the wiki under Cactus Preparation Tek. It's excellent medicine.

The only time I had a bad reaction was mixing achuma with cacao powder. I have no idea but for some reason I felt a minor case of seratonin syndrome that night. People claim there shouldn't be any contraindications here but I would be weary of doing it again. Also, someone once speculated it could have been a pesticide sprayed on the achuma. I doubt I will ever know.

azrael
#8 Posted : 8/15/2011 3:50:29 AM
DMT-Nexus member

2 grams syrian rue in tea form with 6" raw san pedro eaten whole gave me a 4 hour headache. Smoked harmalas and mescaline hcl had no ill effects whatsoever.

MySmelf
#9 Posted : 8/15/2011 5:06:47 AM

DMT-Nexus member

State of the Mind wrote:
I have tried the combination before and have not noticed any ill effects . However, I was very cautious prior to taking this combination . Some Cactus does contain Tyramine, so there is a safety issue and it is definitely something that people should research before trying . But I do think that the risks are somewhat exaggerated sometimes . But to be honest, it is better to be safe than sorry . Very happy

Found a few references to tyramine and harmalas/RIMAs.

From erowid:
Quote:
Tyramine is not believed to be dangerous with harmine or harmaline since it readily displaces either one. The harmala alkaloids are highly selective and highly reversible MAOIs. They are quite different than some of the prescription drugs such as Phenelzine (Nardil) or Tranycypromine (Parnate) which actually bind irreversibly to the MAO enzymes. With irreversible MAOIs, restoration of normal MAO metabolic function requires that more of the enzymes be produced by the body.

From wikipedia:
Quote:
RIMAs are displaced from MAO-A in the presence of tyramine,[1] rather than inhibiting its breakdown in the liver as general MAOIs do. Additionally, MAO-B remains free and continues to metabolize tyramine in the stomach, although this is less significant than the liver action. Thus, RIMAs are unlikely to elicit tyramine-mediated hypertensive crisis, and a special diet does not need to be so strictly adhered to, although eating excessively large amounts of tyramine-containing foods is still not advisable.

Its the MeICNU

I am only someone's imaginary Smelf posting from hyperspace.

The Day Tripper
#10 Posted : 8/15/2011 6:14:50 AM

Rennasauce Man

Location: A Pale Blue Dot orbiting a GV2 Yellow Dwarf fusion powered Luminous Ball of Plasma at 30km/s
Swim has no issues with extracted achuma alkaloids via the d-limo/fasw/acetone wash route, and extraced harmala hcl from rue. He has also taken mescaline fumarate with various types of ayahuasca vine to no ill affect. Granted, it has more of a bodyload and speedy sense to it in swims opinion compared to strait mescaline hcl, but with the advantage of requiring less mescaline, and a different experience with rimas.

Swim has also had achuma tea with a splash of aya added into the brew. This seemed more dangerous/toxic/headache inducing than the extracted mescaline fumarate, but does not have enough experience with the cactus to be certain this was the issue. He has decided however, that for other digestive issues with the tea, he's only going to partake in extracted cactus alkaloids in the future.
"let those who have talked to the elves, find each other and band together" -TMK

In a society in which nearly everybody is dominated by somebody else's mind or by a disembodied mind, it becomes increasingly difficult to learn the truth about the activities of governments and corporations, about the quality or value of products, or about the health of one's own place and economy.
In such a society, also, our private economies will depend less upon the private ownership of real, usable property, and more upon property that is institutional and abstract, beyond individual control, such as money, insurance policies, certificates of deposit, stocks, etc. And as our private economies become more abstract, the mutual, free helps and pleasures of family and community life will be supplanted by a kind of displaced citizenship and by commerce with impersonal and self-interested suppliers...
The great enemy of freedom is the alignment of political power with wealth. This alignment destroys the commonwealth - that is, the natural wealth of localities and the local economies of household, neighborhood, and community - and so destroys democracy, of which the commonwealth is the foundation and practical means.” - Wendell Berry