We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Poll Question : Would you be willing to participate or contribute to this project?
Choice Votes Statistics
I think it's a bad idea and won't have anything to do with it. 1 1 %
I think it's a great idea but I can't help. 17 26 %
I can contribute supplies (solar, shelter etc.) 3 4 %
I can contribute money 2 3 %
I can participate and contribute 40 63 %

123NEXT»
The Nexus Community Project Options

MelCat
#1 Posted : 8/12/2011 9:06:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I found this property in Peru. It's 98 acres of almost finished fish farm.

We've been throwing around the idea of building a Sustainable Nexus Community out of the property and we need to get a general feel of how many members would be willing or able to help out.

The property is $15,000 and we'd need at least another $10,000 for basic supplies.

What do you guys think?
Convert a melodic element into a rhythmic element...

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

SnozzleBerry
#2 Posted : 8/12/2011 9:12:10 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

I'd love to be a part of this...I'm at a stage of my life where if this has a chance of becoming a reality, there's really nothing stopping me.
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

endlessness
#3 Posted : 8/12/2011 10:47:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Where in Peru? Does it have water source, whats the nature like, neighbouring towns and industries, etc? Is there anybody there who can check personally? On who's name would it be in, and is this person peruan or south american and if not, have you checked property laws in peru to see if as a non-south american you can own land and what restrictions may apply?

MelCat
#4 Posted : 8/12/2011 10:52:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

It's supposed to be 35 miles outside of Iquitos, so it's reasonably close to medical facilities should anyone get hurt.

It's a fish farm, so I'd image that it has some kind of water source but I'm not sure what. Dreamer042 has some family down there and said he can have them check it out firsthand to make sure it's workable.

As far as ownership, if Trav would accept the responsibility, I think he'd be the best person to hold the deed. He's done such a great job with this community, I can only see good things if we keep him in charge more or less.

I'm not sure what the property laws are like down there and honestly, I'm not sure how to find out. We definitely have a lot of research to do.

dmtk2852
#5 Posted : 8/12/2011 11:00:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Oh, that's beautiful. What exactly do you intend to do on this property though? I'm not fully understanding this concept of a "sustainable nexus community." Can you expand on that?

MelCat
#6 Posted : 8/12/2011 11:06:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The basic idea is to be as self sustainable as possible in the sense that we are able to live free and provide for ourselves without too much outside influence.

We would build our own homes, grow and raise our own food and grow our own ethnobotanicals. Hopefully we'd be able to do all of these in abundance so we could sell the extra to afford any supplies we can't procure ourselves.

Laban Shrewsbury III
#7 Posted : 8/13/2011 12:51:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I have a great many questions about such a plan, and some criticisms about the thinking behind it, but I will reserve them.

I think it's a mad idea, and very likely an unworkable fantasy. But I'd love to be proven wrong, and would offer whatever assistance I could, short of unsecured monetary loans to people I don't know for ends I probably won't see, in order to effect it. I think if Something Awful goons can give the world swap_avi, the Nexus can set up New Jonestown out in the Peruvian bush.
Sometimes I believe that this less material life is our truer life, and that our vain presence on the terraqueous globe is itself the secondary or merely virtual phenomenon.

Laban Shrewsbury III
#8 Posted : 8/13/2011 2:33:19 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Start it up via Kickstarter, perhaps?
Sometimes I believe that this less material life is our truer life, and that our vain presence on the terraqueous globe is itself the secondary or merely virtual phenomenon.

Apoc
#9 Posted : 8/13/2011 6:49:40 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I love the idea!! But unfortunately, I am not really the type of person who is capable of planning such a thing, or even understanding how it would work without a vast amount of detail. It's funny, some people seem to be able to just get up and go and make allies and get things done. I've never been that way.

However, I have often wondered what I would do if our beloved plants ever became controlled and I no longer had access to them. I hate to think about it. Life would be so bland, cut off from my love, kind of like being castrated, or labotomized. It would be unacceptable to me, and I would have to find another way somehow. I have thought about moving to Brazil or something, where it's almost certain they won't criminalize ayahuasca. But I would be absolutely lost in South America. I would have no one, and no idea how to make a living. The only way I could move to such a foreign place is if I had some kind of community support, which is what is being proposed here. These entheogens are my passion, and I plan on using them regularly for the rest of my life. I couldn't think of a better way to spend my time dedicated to sustainable living, connected with nature, around like minded people, harvesting nature's gift to share with the world, and partaking of the brew.

Unfortunately, I don't know jack about farming, or really anything. I'm just a dumb suburbanite. It doesn't sound like the initial cost of the place would be a problem, but of course the sustainable part requires detail. I look forward to hearing more about this idea. Could we get a pool please?

Jin
#10 Posted : 8/13/2011 7:58:13 AM

yes

hey the property is really cheap for 98 acres , but i am not familar with property prices in peru

i did'nt vote yet because i would vote for an option that says--- are you guys serious ??

i don't know if its a good idea or a bad idea , i am simply confused , will the government and everyone let the community be , and do what they want simply because they now have a big piece of land , (maybe peruvian authorities would be kind )

however its a amazing investment for 98 acres , in 15,000$ all you would get where i live is 400sqft , thats like 1 small room or maybe even less than that , in some places in my city you could not get more that bathroom space for 15,000$ ,

i do like the idea no doubt ,

also what are the chances of no peruvians , like americans , europeans , asians being able to actually start living on this land even if they own it ?? since they are non-residents of the country , could they simply just start living there after buying the land

illusions !, there are no illusions
there is only that which is the truth

MelCat
#11 Posted : 8/13/2011 8:04:31 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I believe that visas are available but only for 184 days at a time if I recall correctly. During that time you can apply for residency if it's a good fit.

bindu
#12 Posted : 8/13/2011 8:31:57 AM

excellent property you found there, cheap and well connected

all my money is fed into my business now so i wont be able to invest until next year, but im looking for such an opportunity as soon as i have my moneyguns loaded.

but this is an excellent investment as far as i can see, of course someone has to go there check it out to know more

please consider, Peru is a pretty wild country. If you are not well informed they will take your money, shoes and balls and you end up in the gutter. Got to have local connections, know who to pay off and so on.

only a motivated, well informed and financially independent group or single person can push the project into existence or invest smart enough to sell it with substantial profit
blessed be all forms of intelligence

Apoc
#13 Posted : 8/13/2011 8:51:00 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Melodic Catastrophe wrote:
We've been throwing around idea of building a Sustainable Nexus Community out of the property and we need to get a general feel of how many members would be willing or able to help out.

So who's we? How many people do you suppose it would take to run this community? If money wasn't an issue, would you definitely do it?

dreamer042
#14 Posted : 8/13/2011 10:26:13 AM

Dreamoar

Moderator | Skills: Mostly harmless

I got a surprise last minute invitation to go spend the next 10 days on the Navajo reservation, sorry folks but it's gonna be a bit before I'm able to check into the site in Peru. I'll look into it when I get back.

♥ have a happy SHE day and a good week. Smile
Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

Visual diagram for the administration of dimethyltryptamine

Visual diagram for the administration of ayahuasca

Purges
#15 Posted : 8/13/2011 3:05:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Wow! So cheap! I have been dreaming of something like this for a long time... Just a little scared it might turn into a Lord of the Flies scenario ha ha. I will follow this with much interest Very happy
Lose Control, Free My Soul, Break Me Open, Make Me Whole.
"DMT kicked my balls off" - od3

MelCat
#16 Posted : 8/13/2011 5:58:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Apoc wrote:
We've been throwing around idea of building a Sustainable Nexus Community out of the property and we need to get a general feel of how many members would be willing or able to help out.

So who's we? How many people do you suppose it would take to run this community? If money wasn't an issue, would you definitely do it?

If money was a non-issue, I'd definitely be down there right now getting everything set up.

There are a few of us in chat who wish to see this happen. I'm not sure how many people we would really need. I'd prefer to keep it small. I think 10 guys and 10 gals would work pretty well.

MelCat
#17 Posted : 8/13/2011 6:00:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

dreamer042 wrote:
I got a surprise last minute invitation to go spend the next 10 days on the Navajo reservation, sorry folks but it's gonna be a bit before I'm able to check into the site in Peru. I'll look into it when I get back.

♥ have a happy SHE day and a good week. Smile

No problem Dreamoar Very happy

I hope you have a good trip! <3

Enoon
#18 Posted : 8/14/2011 12:55:24 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Harm reduction, Analytical thinking

Apoc wrote:

If money was a non-issue, I'd definitely be down there right now getting everything set up.

There are a few of us in chat who wish to see this happen. I'm not sure how many people we would really need. I'd prefer to keep it small. I think 10 guys and 10 gals would work pretty well.

I'd also be in if money was a non-issue. Of course the group dynamic must be a good one, but it would be the first step to find this out.
Buon viso a cattivo gioco!
---
The Open Hyperspace Traveler Handbook - A handbook for the safe and responsible use of entheogens.
---
mushroom-grow-help ::: energy conserving caapi extraction

Ice House
#19 Posted : 8/14/2011 1:21:02 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Sustainable growing

WoW! I never knew this was possible. You've got my attention.
sincerely,
ih
Ice House is an alter ego. The threads, postings, replys, statements, stories, and private messages made by Ice House are 100% unadulterated Bull Shit. Every aspect of the Username Ice House is pure fiction. Any likeness to SWIM or any real person is purely coincidental. The creator of Ice House does not condone or participate in any illicit activity what so ever. The makebelieve character known as Ice House is owned and operated by SWIM and should not be used without SWIM's expressed written consent.

Laban Shrewsbury III
#20 Posted : 8/14/2011 3:21:02 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I should mention that my (a)vocation is aquaponics and sustainable farming.

As it happens, Peru is actually the spiritual home of the former as the Inca were among the earliest and most successful practitioners of aquaponic farming, enabling them to generate ample food despite the arid climate. I believe there have been some initiatives to bring aquaponics to Peru, and although I don't personally know anybody operating systems there at present, it's certainly a prime candidate for development.

98 acres and 10 grand's worth of semi-commercial aquaponics kit (local supply & demand conditions being favourable) could feasibly pay for itself inside of a decade or so.

Food for thought.

123NEXT»