We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Most charges dropped against UNR student accused of making drugs in dorm room Options

SnozzleBerry
#1 Posted : 8/11/2011 3:42:53 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

The Washoe County district attorney’s office will drop four out of five charges against a University of Nevada, Reno student who police say was found manufacturing a rare narcotic in his dorm room in April, the student’s lawyer said Tuesday.

Court documents show that UNR Police Services discovered 18-year-old Sean Sullivan making dimethyltryptamine, or DMT, in his room in Juniper Hall in April.

Sullivan was charged with manufacturing, possessing and trafficking a Schedule I narcotic, all felonies, and with the misdemeanors of possessing marijuana and drug paraphernalia, said Scott Freeman, his lawyer. But after negotiations outside the courtroom, the DA’s office dropped all charges but possession.

“There was a recognition that this was his first offense,” Freeman said.

While the documents didn’t indicate any evidence of Sullivan trafficking the DMT, Todd Renwick, commander of UNR Police Services, said the quantity of the drug the officers found in the student’s room warranted the charge. Sullivan was in possession of about one pound of the drug, according to the report.

The student will go through a court-operated drug education program in lieu of being convicted of the possession charge, Freeman said. Freeman didn’t specify which drug program the student will attend.
DMT is a hallucinogen local police rarely see, said Deputy District Attorney Diane Drinkwater, who represented the district attorney’s office in the case.

Sullivan told officers he had ordered the necessary ingredients to make the drug through the Internet and was mixing it with marijuana to smoke, the documents said. The student said he knew the drug was illegal but was unaware it was a Schedule I narcotic, the report showed.

Schedule I drugs are available for research only and have no approved medical use, according to the federal government.

source
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

tele
#2 Posted : 8/11/2011 3:50:43 PM
Explorer

Fools like this 18 year old are really a problem for the face of DMT.
I think they found 1 pound of MHRB, because I'm pretty sure no one can make 1 pounds of DMT inside dorm room. Ridiculous.

EquaL Observer
#3 Posted : 8/11/2011 3:59:36 PM

Ross

tele wrote:
I think they found 1 pound of MHRB, because I'm pretty sure no one can make 1 pounds of DMT inside dorm room. Ridiculous.

Why, what did he do wrong? Doesn't seem to be reason to assume he was doing any harm... poor guy just got caught.
Your depth is your integrity

SnozzleBerry
#4 Posted : 8/11/2011 4:06:16 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

EquaL Observer wrote:
tele wrote:

Why, what did he do wrong? Doesn't seem to be reason to assume he was doing any harm... poor guy just got caught.

Yea, it was most likely MHRB

As to what he did wrong...extracting in a dorm room is dumb, imo. You don't own the property, you're not leasing the property...in fact, the property belongs to the university and can be searched on a whim, meaning you have no protection. If you can't find a place to do it off-campus, waiting a year or two to get your own spot makes much more sense to me than risking your freedom for a taste of DMT.
WikiAttitudeFAQ
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

caliwa
#5 Posted : 8/11/2011 4:44:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

anyways, scare the shit outa me.. if i get caught in mexico, im done.
I am with those man who own that particular kind of courage of the interior voyager.

tele
#6 Posted : 8/11/2011 4:59:02 PM
Explorer

EquaL Observer wrote:
tele wrote:

A fool is a fool, no need to explain here further.

DMT Psychonaut
#7 Posted : 8/11/2011 6:22:37 PM

Witness to Humanity

Wow they really let him off easy, lucky guy. It would be nice to see this kinda of thing happening more often. Don't really want to see people getting caught but when it does happen it'd be nice to see more cases turn out like this.
Disclaimer:

All these thoughts,
words arranged in this message,
come from the Tao
and return to the Tao.
Yet they do not touch it.
Each of us will perceive the message,
Yet to each our own interpretation.

I'll see you when the river meets us

The Day Tripper
#8 Posted : 8/11/2011 9:35:42 PM

Rennasauce Man

Location: A Pale Blue Dot orbiting a GV2 Yellow Dwarf fusion powered Luminous Ball of Plasma at 30km/s
Holy shit. I know this guys attorney, went to school with one of his kids. Had no idea he was a drug offense lawyer though.
"let those who have talked to the elves, find each other and band together" -TMK

In a society in which nearly everybody is dominated by somebody else's mind or by a disembodied mind, it becomes increasingly difficult to learn the truth about the activities of governments and corporations, about the quality or value of products, or about the health of one's own place and economy.
In such a society, also, our private economies will depend less upon the private ownership of real, usable property, and more upon property that is institutional and abstract, beyond individual control, such as money, insurance policies, certificates of deposit, stocks, etc. And as our private economies become more abstract, the mutual, free helps and pleasures of family and community life will be supplanted by a kind of displaced citizenship and by commerce with impersonal and self-interested suppliers...
The great enemy of freedom is the alignment of political power with wealth. This alignment destroys the commonwealth - that is, the natural wealth of localities and the local economies of household, neighborhood, and community - and so destroys democracy, of which the commonwealth is the foundation and practical means.” - Wendell Berry

tele
#9 Posted : 8/11/2011 10:15:58 PM
Explorer

DMT Psychonaut wrote:
Wow they really let him off easy, lucky guy. It would be nice to see this kinda of thing happening more often. Don't really want to see people getting caught but when it does happen it'd be nice to see more cases turn out like this.

He probably said something like that the use was for his own and it was for "spiritual purposes" or something. Anyway if he had only one pound of MHRB(mistaken for DMT), he would not make much of it.
Still a fool.

SnozzleBerry
#10 Posted : 8/11/2011 10:38:11 PM

omnia sunt communia!

tele wrote:
He probably said something like that the use was for his own and it was for "spiritual purposes" or something.

Doubtful...this would provide you with about zero protection.

And a pound of bark means he could have had between 4-9 grams of DMT when he was done...for a substance where the dose range is commonly considered to be from 15-50mg, that's quite a bit...like 80-180 doses (conservatively).
WikiAttitudeFAQ
גם זה יעבור

Jin
#11 Posted : 8/11/2011 11:05:11 PM

yes

tele wrote:
EquaL Observer wrote:
tele wrote:

A fool is a fool, no need to explain here further.

totally agreed , he should have been more careful
illusions !, there are no illusions
there is only that which is the truth

HighSpeedDirt
#12 Posted : 8/11/2011 11:43:40 PM
DMT-Nexus member

In cases like these I'm always very interested in HOW he was caught? Did someone turn him in? Dorm inspections? Was he using the campus network to buy the MHRB and someone on the campus network team turned him in?

Laban Shrewsbury III
#13 Posted : 8/12/2011 12:58:31 AM

DMT-Nexus member

HighSpeedDirt wrote:
In cases like these I'm always very interested in HOW he was caught? Did someone turn him in? Dorm inspections? Was he using the campus network to buy the MHRB and someone on the campus network team turned him in?

My guess would be someone dimed on him, perhaps out of malice or more likely to save themselves from a minor charge of pot possession. No doubt it was entirely banal and wholly avoidable had he taken proper precautions.

Slightly heartening to see the justice system elected not to ruin a young man's life over this crap.
Sometimes I believe that this less material life is our truer life, and that our vain presence on the terraqueous globe is itself the secondary or merely virtual phenomenon.