We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Reagent / ACS grade solvent purity question Options

69ron
#1 Posted : 10/28/2008 4:38:57 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Reagent / ACS grade purity question

Ok, so there’s food grade (FCC), medical grade (USP), lab grade (crap), and then there’s Readent/ACS grade.

Now I know that FCC and USP are fine for food purposes, but what about ACS grade?

I thought ACS was ultra pure, but SWIM was reading a bottle of Reagent/ACS grade solvent and it says very clearly on it “For laboratory use only”. Does that basically mean it could have tiny amount of very highly toxic substances in it?

For example, the Reagent/ACS grade ethyl acetate says:

Assay: 99.5 % min
Color: 10 max.
Residue after evaporation: 0.003%
Titrable acid: 0.0009 meq/g max
Substances darkened by H2SO2: P.T.
Water: 0.2% max.

So there’s possibly 0.003% of something in it that won’t evaporate. Is that something to worry about? Would distilling it be of any help?

SWIM can't find FCC or USP grade at any place that sells to the general public.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

benzyme
#2 Posted : 10/28/2008 4:44:06 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

it's absolutely fine. ACS grade is industry standard and stable, like pharm-grade supplements.
conforms to standards of the American Chemical Society. SWIM uses nothing but ACS grade EtOH and DCM.

but if SWIY is worried about it, here's where activated carbon could also come in handy.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

69ron
#3 Posted : 10/28/2008 4:46:31 AM

DMT-Nexus member

benzyme wrote:
it's absolutely fine. ACS grade is industry standard and stable, like pharm-grade supplements.
conforms to standards of the American Chemical Society.

but if you're worried about it, here's where activated carbon could also come in handy.

Is it legal to use in food processing or is FCC grade or USP grade required?
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

benzyme
#4 Posted : 10/28/2008 4:48:53 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

i think FCC grade is required for food processing.

ACS grade is used in research and development, hence the "for laboratory use only"
USP grade usually tops out at around 95% purity, ACS grade is typically min. 98%

swim once drank about 3mL ACS grade 1,4-butanediol in his soda while working in the university polymer lab, no complications whatsoever. he just got sort of spun
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

69ron
#5 Posted : 10/28/2008 4:52:20 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Yeah, that's my thinking but I can't find anything stating that as fact, other then the "For lab use only" statement on the bottle.

SWIM always distills technical grade before use. Should ACS grade also be distilled before use? Is it something to worry about? Or is SWIM being overly health conscious? Can the 0.003% that won't evaporate be of any concern healthwise?

benzyme
#6 Posted : 10/28/2008 4:56:42 AM

analytical chemist

SWIY is just being overly conscious.

ACS grade is basically tech grade that's been redistilled to at least 98-99.5% purity. no point in redistilling it, unless SWIY can do it under inert atmosphere